(Rutherford-Beth Sarim)-The Journal of San Diego History!

by Atlantis 11 Replies latest jw friends

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

For those interested in "Rutherford" research!

http://www.sandiegohistory.org/journal/86spring/br-living.htm The Journal of San Diego History Spring 1986, Volume 32, Number 2 Contents of this issue Book Notes Kensington-Talmadge: 1910-1985 By Thomas H. Baumann, San Diego: Privately Printed, 1984. Illustrations. Maps. 196 Pages $22.00 Reviewed by Rhoda E. Kruse, Senior Librarian, California Room. San Diego Public Library. Author Thomas Baumann, who came to the area in 1941, was the first permanent dentist in the Kensington neighborhood of San Diego. His new book, Kensington-Talmadge 1910-1985, is a labor of love produced for the seventy-fifth anniversary of his community. The book is a compilation of source materials and anecdotes of one of San Diego's most clearly defined and distinctive communities. In twenty chapters Baumann touches on various facets of the neighborhood's history. He treats with fair amount of detail transportation, community, organizations, schools, the library, subdivisions, major buildings, floods, businesses and some of the people. While well known incidents in the community's history are included, so are a number of more obscure topics. For example, he recounts Kensington's several murders, its role as an early movie set, and the wedding reception held in a cave. He devotes an entire chapter to Judge Joseph Rutherford, who served as a president of the Jehovah's Witnesses' Watchtower Bible and Tract Society. In 1930 Judge Rutherford moved into a house in Kensington which he refused to accept as a gift, but which he agreed to hold in trust for David, Gideon, Barak and a number of "other faithful men who were named with approval in the Bible at Hebrews the 11th chapter" [sic]. The house, known as Beth Sarim, was later occupied by prominent citizen G. Aubrey Davidson, whom Baumann considers the principal founder of Kensington. Baumann has included many detailed references to descendants of early residents and businessmen, which should prove useful to other historians-not to mention genealogists. The book is plentifully illustrated with reproductions of tract maps, photographs (both public and private), and newspaper articles, and the entire 1920-1921 directory of the neighborhood. Unfortunately, Baumann did not include an index. He did prepare one later, and the index is included in the copies of Kensington-Talmadge located in the San Diego Historical Society's Research Archives, and in the San Diego Public Library's California Room. Cheers! Atlantis

• greendawn
    greendawn

"a house in Kensington which he refused to accept as a gift, but which he agreed to hold in trust for David, Gideon, Barak and a number of "other faithful men "

He was still the owner of the house to all intents and purposes but he wanted to appear as a humble and poor person.

(I can't get rid of the highlighting from the quote)

• Anitar
    Anitar

Rutherford was NOT a judge. He was not a humble man, nor was he a sober and faithful man. But I guess if you tell a lie often enough, people will believe it.

I wonder if any of Rutherford's family is alive today, what would they think of him? I would be quite ashamed, for I pity him. I know other people feel stronger, and I agree. But I think wherever he is, he is being punished severly for his crimes.

Anitar

• Kaput
    Kaput

greendawn --

I believe if you type the whole thing out, then drag over the part you wish to highlight, and then click the yellow highlight crayon, and click off, you'll be all set.

• Hondo
    Hondo

From what I have read, I guess he did some good for the organization, but isn't is true that the WTBTS, in some way, "isolated", or "dumped", Rutherford at Beth Sarim to keep him away from the headquarters in New York because of his drinking and womanizing; he was somewhat of an embarasment while there. I also read that he was no alter boy and wielded a heavy hand over those under him.

Just curious.

Thanks

• TweetieBird
    TweetieBird

Does anyone have the actual address for Beth-Sarim? I live in San Diego County and would love to actually see it, if it is still in existence.

• hubert
    hubert
    Does anyone have the actual address for Beth-Sarim? I live in San Diego County and would love to actually see it, if it is still in existence.

4440 Braeburn Road, San Diego, Ca. 92116

(Kennsington Heights).

I'm going to try to put a link in for one of Farkel(s) post on this subject.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/12954/1.ashx

Check this out, for more information.

Hubert

• VM44
    VM44

bttt

• VM44
    VM44

KENSIGNTON-TALMADGE 1910-1985, by Thomas H. Baumann, San Diego, California (1984), Page 73

4256 Ridgeway-Kensington Heights

This house was designed by the renowned architect, Richard S. Requa.

Some of the other houses in Kensington that were designed by Requa: 4313 Ridgeway; 4440 Braeburn Road (Dr. Rutherford house); Middlesex and Marlborough (NE corner). The houses he designed in Kensington are Spanish Mediterranean style with large rooms and high beam ceilings in the living rooms. The artistic use of wrought iron and tile add to the beauty of the houses. Requa was the architect for many of the buildings in Balboa Park.

The 1911 telephone directory shows Richard S. Requa listed as an architect, Room 441; McNees Building; Main 4022. The McNees building was near 5th and Broadway.

• VM44
    VM44

"Dr. Rutherford"?!!!!

--VM44

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit