When A Loved One Leaves Jehovah

by choosing life 21 Replies latest watchtower bible

• aniron
    aniron

One woman says about her disfellowshipped brother, "This has been so hard for me to bear because in every other respect, he has been a wonderful brother to me. I especially miss him at large gatherings."

Why just miss him at "large gatherings" she should be missing him all the time.

When I read things like that in the WT I often wonder did anyone actually say that?

• Flash
    Flash
    When A Loved One Leaves Jehovah

There are real problems with how broadly the WTS defines "leaving Jehovah." In the mind of the GB anyone who doesn't completely submit to themwithout questioning is not truely with Jehovah.

Disfellowshipping has its place, but how it is applied is the problem.

• blondie
    blondie

Wasn't there already a lengthy discussion on this on JWD complete with scans?

• Annie Over
    Annie Over

What's really pathetic, is that the whole idea of shunning in the WTS is not the same shunning that happened 2,000 years ago. There is a very interesting article that sheds light on exactly what was meant by "not mixing in the company" of ones who leave the religion. The article can be found here: http://www.xjw.com/shunning.html

Yeppers I agree

• Momofmany
    Momofmany

I remember trying to reason with my mother over this. Leave Jehovah? No, I left an organization. I did not make god cry by no longer going to the meetings, I did not turn my back on him. I told her Jehovah is god, the org is not god. She said, my religion is my god. They are the same thing. They are the earthy reps of him. They are his voice piece, his spirt led org. She'll be in forever.

• blondie
    blondie

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/117552/1.ashx

and this one (could not get URL)

WT desparate: Aug 15 WT- In Our Next Issue: When A Loved One Leaves Jehovah 02-Jul-06 18:43 Jul 2, 2006
    Post 981 of 1054
    since 28-Feb-03

No, I don't have this article yet, it will appear in the Sep 1, 2006 WT.

It may even be a WT study article.

In the August 15 Watchtower, the box "In Our Next Issue" has three forthcoming articles, and one of them is "When A Loved One Leaves Jehovah"

Of interest, it's not when a loved one leaves the Society, it's Jehovah.

Will keep you posted.

IP: SEII8fEINHlG3Fz1

IP_SECRe: WT desparate: Aug 15 WT- In Our Next Issue: When A Loved One Leaves Jehovah 02-Jul-06 18:45 Jul 2, 2006

Post 3551 of 4166
    since 21-Jan-05

33 y 7 m 24 d

puking smiley

Those idgits

IP: kZvvcmY23SAkrnlF
    AK - JeffRe: WT desparate: Aug 15 WT- In Our Next Issue: When A Loved One Leaves Jehovah 02-Jul-06 19:10 Jul 3, 2006

Post 2944 of 3308
    since 19-Nov-04

51 y 28 d

As Artie, on 'Laugh In' used to say; "Interesting, but very stupid."

I imagine the need to reinforce the loving shunning policies is at hand again. Legalistic idiots.

Jeff

IP: tF5qXAjQPr5bNrJM
    ScullyRe: WT desparate: Aug 15 WT- In Our Next Issue: When A Loved One Leaves Jehovah 02-Jul-06 19:17 Jul 3, 2006

Post 10343 of 11094
    since 02-Nov-01

My hunch:

becoming Inactive? = Leaving The Truth? = Leaving Jehovah? = becoming Disassociated? (by your own actions) = "let the shunning begin!"

IP: 1NBj9iwG9Nk0rJxl
    anewmeRe: WT desparate: Aug 15 WT- In Our Next Issue: When A Loved One Leaves Jeh 02-Jul-06 19:29 Jul 3, 2006

Post 1382 of 1865
    since 19-Jul-05

I have a very bad feeling about this coming article.
    IP: 2gFM5/FbZoLHWUB7
    garybussRe: WT desparate: Aug 15 WT- In Our Next Issue: When A Loved One Leaves Jehovah 02-Jul-06 19:41 Jul 3, 2006

Post 4521 of 4912
    since 08-Oct-01

Nothing they can do can hurt me. I'm bulletproof.

IP: qyhYpnpXEJkdrg2+
    parakeetRe: WT desparate: Aug 15 WT- In Our Next Issue: When A Loved One Leaves Jeh 02-Jul-06 19:47 Jul 3, 2006

Post 391 of 974
    since 10-May-06

If the WTS decrees that inactive ones must be considered DAed, my JW parents will be up the creek. They are elderly and in poor health (many hospital stays; both were in the hospital within the past 3 weeks). They often must depend on me for cooking, cleaning, doctor visits, helping them sort out their meds, etc.

I sincerely hope the society will not be forcing a decision on them about this; I don't know how they would manage. The "brothers" and "sisters" will let them twist in the breeze; not one has helped them up to now.

My parents will be forced to decide either to shun me and manage on their own, or they'll have to accept my help and be DFed themselves. The stress alone may kill them.

Looks like I'll need a sleeping pill to get any rest tonight.

Please keep us updated, truthseeker.
    IP: U+Ns2e03ZpBmQFPe
    blondieRe: WT desparate: Aug 15 WT- In Our Next Issue: When A Loved One Leaves Jehovah 02-Jul-06 20:00 Jul 3, 2006

Post 18799 of 20127
    since 28-May-01

54 y 3 m 15 d

Believe me, if inactive JWs will officially be considered having DA'd, the elders would be told first in a letter from the WTS; the first notice will not be in an article in a WT. So I gather that those men who post here who have demonstrated they are still in the elder notification loop, will get notification first and let us know.

Most JWs are very wary around inactive JWs; some even taking it upon themselves to actively shunning those people. I wonder at what point an inactive JW will be considered to have DA'd?

At 6 months on the dot?

At 12 months, 18 months, 24 months..............

Will be in conjunction with an attempt by the elders to meet with them and a polite refusal by the inactive person?

What if people go to all the meetings but turn in no time..........

What if people attend the meetings for years and don't get baptized (I have known several people like that over the years)?

Blondie

IP: LfqPeVW28KYHLXoQ
    candidlynutsRe: WT desparate: Aug 15 WT- In Our Next Issue: When A Loved One Leaves Jehovah 02-Jul-06 20:02 Jul 3, 2006

Post 4152 of 4559
    since 07-May-04

92 y 8 m 18 d
    although Jehovah is mentioned in the title... it will be interesting to see how often Jehovah or Jesus is actually mentioned in the article.
    IP: Ar59wlP7Y7rqd90M
    parakeetRe: WT desparate: Aug 15 WT- In Our Next Issue: When A Loved One Leaves Jeh 02-Jul-06 20:29 Jul 3, 2006

Post 394 of 974
    since 10-May-06

Blondie:

***Believe me, if inactive JWs will officially be considered having DA'd, the elders would be told first in a letter from the WTS; the first notice will not be in an article in a WT.***

Blondie, thanks for the assurance that this issue is not on the radar right now. I've been inactive for nearly 30 years; it seems silly and redundant for them to DF me after so many years. If it weren't for my parents, I wouldn't much care what the society does. My parents are my only connection to the WT and the only power it still holds over me.
    IP: U+Ns2e03ZpBmQFPe
    PoztateRe: WT desparate: Aug 15 WT- In Our Next Issue: When A Loved One Leaves Jehovah 02-Jul-06 20:50 Jul 3, 2006

Post 1646 of 1722
    since 05-Oct-03

My hunch:

becoming Inactive? = Leaving The Truth? = Leaving Jehovah? = becoming Disassociated (by your own actions) = "let the shunning begin!"

The article does have a certain smell about it... Maybe they will let the shunning begin. This might mark the start of a more informal shunning process. They leave it up to your "bible trained conscience"? to do what is the right thing and then TELL YOU what the right thing is. A lot of the elders where my wife attends already shun me informally. I am sure it wouldn't take much new lightand they all would. The flock would follow along like a bunch of sheep (first we flease them,then we eat them) I almost look forward to something like this coming to a head. so I can tell them to shove it up their........
    IP: WuzQL+dFm81ft+GO
    wheres caleb?Re: WT desparate: Aug 15 WT- In Our Next Issue: When A Loved One Leaves Jehovah 02-Jul-06 21:25 Jul 3, 2006

Post 197 of 203
    since 25-Jun-03

I enjoy their condescension.

After all the years of attending meetings, field service hours, and all the prayers; the only thing they have learned is how to judge others. (label people)

Their example is anything but Christlike. (by their own definition)

Happy hunting for those that feel qualified to determine who has left Jehovah.

If they were smart, they would start with themselves.

IP: x6KYFRvN10z/byk+
    ScullyRe: WT desparate: Aug 15 WT- In Our Next Issue: When A Loved One Leaves Jehovah 02-Jul-06 21:37 Jul 3, 2006

Post 10345 of 11094
    since 02-Nov-01

Blondie:

Believe me, if inactive JWs will officially be considered having DA'd, the elders would be told first in a letter from the WTS; the first notice will not be in an article in a WT. So I gather that those men who post here who have demonstrated they are still in the elder notification loop, will get notification first and let us know.

The September 1 WT won't be considered at the meetings until....October? November maybe? There's still plenty of time (3 months minimum) for that notification to arrive and make it "official".

Maybe this is part of the hoopla for the new service year's pending excitement.

IP: 1NBj9iwG9Nk0rJxl
    candidlynutsRe: WT desparate: Aug 15 WT- In Our Next Issue: When A Loved One Leaves Jehovah 02-Jul-06 21:39 Jul 3, 2006

Post 4153 of 4559
    since 07-May-04

92 y 8 m 18 d

the fear of being cut off from our families is what keeps a lot of us inactive ones quiet about the wtbs.

if they cut off inactive ones anyway, there will be a lot of people being informed about the true nature of the wtbs and its scandals.

IP: Ar59wlP7Y7rqd90M
    blondieRe: WT desparate: Aug 15 WT- In Our Next Issue: When A Loved One Leaves Jehovah 02-Jul-06 21:56 Jul 3, 2006

Post 18807 of 20127
    since 28-May-01

54 y 3 m 15 d

Actually, the magazines are received in the congregation so that they can be placed in a timely fashion...in this case by September 1. So the elders will have to have been informed by then. Remember too that Bethelites get the magazines hot off the press, even much earlier than September 1.

Not much lead time to tell the elders...............

I think candidlynuts has a good point that many inactive JWs keep a low profile. If the WTS makes inactivity the same as DAing yourself, they will open up a can of worms.

Blondie

freedomloverRe: WT desparate: Aug 15 WT- In Our Next Issue: When A Loved One Leaves Jehovah 02-Jul-06 22:04 Jul 3, 2006

Post 1065 of 1166
    since 11-Oct-05

32 y 18 d

OH LORDY! ( eye roll here!)

IP: 6WyVddE34FlsduKR
    blondieRe: WT desparate: Aug 15 WT- In Our Next Issue: When A Loved One Leaves Jehovah 02-Jul-06 22:07 Jul 3, 2006

Post 18808 of 20127
    since 28-May-01

54 y 3 m 15 d

Well, truthseeker has the 8/15 but this is for the 9/1 WT. So as far as I know, it has not been released yet. Truthseeker seems to get the WT earlier than I do; I'm sure he'll post it.
    Stealth453Re: WT desparate: Aug 15 WT- In Our Next Issue: When A Loved One Leaves Jehovah 02-Jul-06 22:09 Jul 3, 2006

Post 35 of 641
    since 25-Jun-06

52 y 3 m 2 d

Who cares really. I got my A tag back in the late 80's, when it was really something. Once I stopped giving any importance to their stupidity in "shunning" me, they pretty much left me alone.

I think that the answer to that forthcoming article should be...Who Gives a Ratts Bullet Sack.

IP: 2Vj2NhplruMLnVn2
    blondieRe: WT desparate: Aug 15 WT- In Our Next Issue: When A Loved One Leaves Jehovah 02-Jul-06 22:14 Jul 3, 2006

Post 18809 of 20127
    since 28-May-01

54 y 3 m 15 d

Well, Stealth, everyone's situation is different.

I remember a song, freedom is nothing left to lose. Some people on JWD still have things to lose and loose ends to tie up. I think they would rather do it on their timetable than the WTS'.

So you have had 20 plus years to adjust.

No point in getting excited for about something no one has read yet or could have read yet. The WTS has had plenty of articles over the years about the inactive and how to get them back. They try every year before the memorial.

Love, Blondie

gymbobRe: WT desparate: Aug 15 WT- In Our Next Issue: When A Loved One Leaves Jehovah 02-Jul-06 22:26 Jul 3, 2006

Post 8 of 80
    since 29-Jun-06

49 y 10 m 17 d

This article should no doubt have some unbelievable scripture twists, along with alot of BS to make any loyal dub feel real guilty if they ever miss, or want to talk to a friend or relative who just couldn't buy into it anymore. Can you imagine HOW MANY PEOPLE THIS WILL HIT REAL CLOSE TO HOME WITH? Sad to say...most will accept it. GYMB

http://p196.ezboard.com/fexjehovahswitnessforumfrm12.showMessage?topicID=215.topic

• daystar
    daystar

greendawn

"until jehovah puts things right in the due time". What is the due time anyway?

LOL! The first thing that came to my mind is that perhaps Jehovah needs to take a class on setting S.M.A.R.T. goals.

http://www.goal-setting-guide.com/smart-goals.html

• SickofLies
    SickofLies

watchtower.cc /dan2007

The disfellowshiping process is a sham and all one has to do is ask to many questions, I proved that with my documentary.

Learn the real truth about the Universe and life, goolge: Evolution.

• lola28
    lola28

Have they had the watchtower study on this article yet?

Lola

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

Lola: Have they had the watchtower study on this article yet?

The studies for last week and this week are about Job from the Aug 15 WT so they probably won't have this study until next month sometime. I didn't get the Sept 1 issue...yet.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit