Home Based Business?

by sandy 10 Replies latest jw friends

• sandy
    sandy

Do any of you have a home based business? What do you do? How did you get started? I was just on the radio talk show host, Dr. Laura website and she has a link their to home based businesses. I want to trust that it's legitimate but I can't help but be leery. The site is asking for $9.95 for the information. Any advice? I know, probably what I'm already saying to myself that it's a scam.

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

Depends on if you are referring to one of those multi level marketing businesses like Arbonne or Tupperware or Mary Kay or to something else.

If you mean a multilevel business....

I have honestly seen them work for some people. I think it really depends on your drive and commitment and how well organized of a person you are. I tried Arbonne and it really did not work for me. Mostly because to make it work I needed to depend on family and friends and their friends etc, ie networking. And I had a tough time selling to friends and family. Others don't have a problem with it.

There is a magazine that you can get at Borders or Waldenbooks about working from home. I can't remember the name of it offhand. If I think of it I'll let you know.

• sandy
    sandy

Thanks Black Swan . . . Buying a book is a good idea.

• roflcopter
    roflcopter

I have a home based business. I would say not to spend the $9.99 just because all it will probably tell you is a bunch of information that can be found for free on the internet anyways. If you have any questions about starting a home based business your more than welcome to send me a PM with any question you might have. BTW I do IT consulting if you were wondering.

How did I get started? Well thats kind of a broad question. There is alot of paperwork to fill out to start your business if you want to be legit. But after that, the actual process of winning customers was the next step. It is probably the hardest step for most people. For me it was easy because of all those years I spent going door to door trying to peddle stuff no one wants. It gave me the thick skin to go door to door in business parks trying to interest people. Actually for me I found that I got WAY WAY WAY better reception from people by going door to door rather than cold calling on the telephone. I guess most people just don't have the heart to be rude to your face in a business setting.

Anyways, If you live in California I can help fill you in more about forming a Sole Proprietorship / LLC / or INC.

8-)

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    The site is asking for $9.95 for the information.

That's probably the primary source of their revenue too. All you need to do is sucker enough people into sending you the same amount of money, and that is your home based business.

W

• Dismembered
    Dismembered

Greetings roflcopter,

:I would say not to spend the $9.99 just because all it will probably tell you is a bunch of information that can be found for free on the internet anyways

I agree. Good advice!

Dismembered

• JimWood
    JimWood

I sell office supplies that I steal from work on E-bay.

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

sandy I did a quick search to see if I could find the magazine and found this link:

http://www.homebusinessmag.com/

There are some great ways to make money from home!!! My husband and I are slowly but surely putting together our own business.

You might want to venture to the library to see what they have in terms of starting your own business and ideas.

Anyway, this site looks pretty good.

Good luck with it all.

• target
    target

From what I have observed, I would say get into a business that sells information. You do not have to buy and stock inventory and ship it. I have watched people get in deep and ending up with all this inventory. Now for example, an e-book that is downloadable just puts the money in your account and you do very little once it is set up and running. The house we bought a few months ago was sold because the people had 3 mortgages on it trying to keep their business afloat. It went under anyhow and they lost the house also. A few people I know well have gone bankrupt trying to do their own business. There is a lot more to it than one thinks. And then there is the affect of the economy....

Target

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

Save your $9.95. What they are probably going to send you is an envelope full of business ideas - that you will have to send off yet more money for - to receive any info on how to do them.

I remember doing something like this a few years ago when my ex-wife wanted to start a home-business. I even invested about $60.00 in one scheme - where she was going to do sewing from home... only... her sewing wasn't up to their standards - and she 'quit'.

Anyway... I would say, that if you have an idea - start off small with it - and see if it catches on. Then get larger, and so on.

Make sure it is something that is 'fun' to do.

Just remember - with any business that one starts - there will be a lot of work involved. It may take a few years to get it going well.

Good Luck,

Jim TX

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit