Hopes to reverse global warming!

by Gill 16 Replies latest jw friends

• Gill
    Gill

Hopes to reverse global warming have bee brought to the attention in the journal Science. This is from the 'Times' newspaper today page 28.

'Volcanic gas keeps it cool

Pumping volcanic gases into the stratosphere could offset global warming scientists say.

By spraying the amount of sulphate particles ,

or aerosols, ejected by large volcanic eruptions, average temperatures could be stabilised for 20 years. This could compensate for greenhouse gases, which are predicted to increase temperatures by at least 2C by the end of the century. It would reverse the ozone layer's recovery, but would provide a breathing space to try to reduce carbon emissions.

Tom Wigley, of the National Centre for Atmospheric Research in the US, wrote in the journal Science that only reducing greenhouse gas emissions would stabilise average temperatures in the long term.'

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

This is an interesting theory. I wonder if they would seriously consider doing this and how it would affect our agriculture?

• PrimateDave
    PrimateDave

Scientist James Lovelock has recently stated that we've passed the point of no return. I would tend to agree with his assessment. Unfortunately, the inertia of the current global military-industrial complex will prevent any real solutions from being implemented, at least in the short term. Additionally, I would suspect that the economic impact of attempting to "power down" our civilization in order to drastically reduce carbon emissions would cause widespread suffering in the developed and developing world.

So, it would seem that some in the military-industrial complex would like to be able to emit more aerosols into the atmosphere and thereby bypass laws enacted to reverse ozone depletion. They see the current problem of global warming as the answer. So, they come out with a piece about volcanos reducing temperatures. Sure, aerosols from volcanic activity deplete ozone, but isn't global warming worse, they ask? Perhaps I am wrong, but that seems to be the spin. An ailing civilization gets a prescription of aerosols to aleviate the affects of its other toxic emissions. Side effects: skin cancer, destruction of bioshpere by UV radiation instead of sudden climate changes. So, business as we know it continues until...

Dave

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis
    Scientist James Lovelock has recently stated that we've passed the point of no return.

I haven't heard this. Actually everything I've been reading, including a quick google on the topic suggests the opposite.

Unfortunately, the inertia of the current global military-industrial complex will prevent any real solutions from being implemented, at least in the short term.

Might be true, but we should still try doncha think?

Additionally, I would suspect that the economic impact of attempting to "power down" our civilization in order to drastically reduce carbon emissions would cause widespread suffering in the developed and developing world.

Maybe, but on the other hand if our option is to let all of mankind suffer whatever effects of climate change would arise, wouldn't it be better to go for the best option which would be keeping the planet habitable for human life? Well, at least short of some sort of massive volcanic eruption or meteor or black hole.....

Other then that, I am curious about the same things you are regarding the ozone. That's why I'm curious as to how serious they are about trying something like this.

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

Point of no return? So then what? The ice melts life adapts and we move on big f*cking deal! Why doesn't this guy write for the Awake magazine? They said we passed the point of no return back in the early 90's!

• Warlock
    Warlock

Global what?

Warlock

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

Do any of you remember the simpsons where they had the bird eating lizards so they released some sort of animal to kill the lizards then some another to kill that animal and onward and onward it went?

This reminds me of that! If fossil fuels are really causeing the problem well they will all be gone by what? 2050? Don't try to sell me that doomsday $hit about the point of no return either if you buy that your an idiot!

• free2beme
    free2beme

From what I have seen, I am not 100% certian that globel warming is as man made as liberals would like us to believe. It seems to be as nature in history, as the seasons are in the year.

• Gill
    Gill

The last I heard, fossil fuels should be gone by 2029!!

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin
    From what I have seen, I am not 100% certian that globel warming is as man made as liberals would like us to believe.

No, Global warming is being accelerated buy our industrial revolution, the facts are pretty well documented there is no doubt among the scientific studies that arer published and subject to peer review. Polititions on the other hand can say just about anything.

It seems to be as nature in history, as the seasons are in the year.

Yes the data shows that we do in deed go thru cycles, but the data shows we have accelerated it, it is no longer in doubt among the scientific community.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit