what do other religions believe about jesus ruling " invisibly"

by candidlynuts 11 Replies latest jw friends

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

as a JW we believed he was in power after 1914

do other religions believe he rules or will rule "invisibly"?

and if he is in power, what do you think of his job performance so far?

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

you mean the Christians ones? I think they are the only ones that believe in the return of Jesus.

There are others that trace their roots to Charles Russell, called Bible Student that also believe the same thing as the WT that Jesus will come invisibly.

From what I understand, Russell got this belief from the Adventists.

All other Christian churches teach that when Christ says he is "coming in the clouds" that it means a coming that is visible for all to see. Not just a small exclusive group. That is why Jesus said "If they say here is Christ, or there is Christ, or here he is in the inner rooms, do not go out". Then he compares his comping to fig tree and how you know by the signs that fruit is ripe. He says "in that way when you see these signs, you know the son of Man is near". He does not say "here" but "near" or the time is almost here for him to arrive. See Matthew 24 - the later part for the signs Jesus was referring to. Lilly

• greendawn
    greendawn

Yes it was the adventists that came up with the idea of an invisible return to be later followed by a visible return, it is obviously absolute non sense to justify their repeated failures of their prophecies on the second coming. To mainstreamers Christ has always been invisibly present and the second coming can only be a visible one.

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

greendawn,

so glad you made that point that to most Christians, Christ has always been with us and by that I mean - through the indwelling of the Holy Spirit he promised and sent forth at Pentecost. Now for all Christians baptized into him, he is always there. In other words "christ in us" is what we believe.

Notice this verse - Matthew 28:19,20

19 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in [ a ] the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.

This is not to say he will not physically return again, we know he will. But just to say he is present for believers already. That is why we walk with him in mind daily. Lilly

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

great points lil and greendawn

i was explaining to someone how jw's believe about Jesus returning in 1914 to rule invisibly and they laughed their butts off.

thats when i got the idea that maybe every christian didnt believe that teaching .

• Legolas
    Legolas

Some believe in the Rapture....I think....LOL!

• Kristofer
    Kristofer

Most Christians I know don't believe in an invisible return, but rather a visible one. Even the Jehovah's Witnesses believed in a visible return until 1914 flopped...then they changed it years later to an invisible return.

• barry
    barry

I think the invisible presence came from the second Adventists.

Adventists beleive that Christ has been present in the form of the Holy Spirit since the cross. Adventrists also beleive that Jesus will come in the clouds visible to everyone in the future.

Adventists also beleive in 1844 it was the beginning of the investigative judgement before the second comming to see who is worthy to be ressurected and taken to heaven. Other churches dont beleive the investigative judgement doctrine and this doctrine and within the SDAs the doctrine is often in dispute. Many of the hardliners beleive it but the theologins and more informed members dont. Im one who dosent beleive the investigateve doctrine. Barry

• bebu
    bebu

When people tack a date like 1914 or whatever for his ruling, they immediately contradict Jesus himself. In Matt 28:18, Jesus said that "all authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me." That was right after his resurrection, not 1914. So like greendawn said, Christians believe that Christ has always been ruling "invisibly" because of that authority, and also thru the indwelling of the Holy Spirit.

I think the first time I heard about 1914 I tried not to laugh...

bebu

• Star Moore
    Star Moore

Hi Candidly,

I think Jesus is returning visibly, and audibly.. As the sword comes out of his mouth. To me that fullfills the scripture..in

Is. 11:4B 'And he must strike the earth with the rod of his mouth, and with the spirit of his lips he will put the wicked one to death.'

So, people would hear him speak..in judgement.

I think the reason he always arrives 'in a cloud'.. is because his identity is hidden or fogged over.. at first. As Rev. 19:12B says..

'He has a name written that no one knows but he himself. '

I also think his coming does cover a period of time.. the parousia, or presence or (great tribulation) (not an instantaneous event)

You said

and if he is in power, what do you think of his job performance so far?

I think his job wouldn't be to help people deliver WT and AW's, but to expose the corruption in a judgemental type of way.. and to take down the evil system.. as shown in

Ps. 110:5....will certainly break kings to pieces on the day of his anger. He will execute judgement among the nations. .....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit