Sorry, another 607 question

by mysterio91 6 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• mysterio91
    mysterio91

I would have done a search, but this site seems to have gotten sloooow since the last time I was here. Long story short, my sister wants to know what's keeping me from coming back to the "truth". If I decide to have that conversation with her, we will address 607 vs 587.

It got me thinking about a theory I never had a chance to ask here. Does anyone think the 70 years was from the destruction of the Temple, until the Temple rebuild was complete. I remember the dates being really close to 70 years. If anyone has any tips on what I should say to my sis, that would be appreciated. Thanks.

• Dansk
    Dansk

ARRGGGGHHHHHHH!

Sorry, now that's off my chest, send your sister here: http://www.607v587.com/

I've met the author. Great guy!!

Ian

• stevenyc
    stevenyc

One of the easiest ways to spoil the watchtowers own interpretation of Daniel, that doesn't require a visit to a museum or a Hebrew to English translation is Daniel 4. Ask her to read Daniel 4, and then ask her when the prophecy was FULLFILED.

Daniel is very specific about the prophecies in his book regarding when they either were fulfilled or is they were to be fulfilled in the future.

steve

• mysterio91
    mysterio91

Thanks

I'm going to read it as well when I get home.

• AlanF
    AlanF

mysterio91 said:

: Does anyone think the 70 years was from the destruction of the Temple, until the Temple rebuild was complete.

There are actually three distinguishable 70 year periods mentioned in the Bible: (1) The period of Babylonian domination ending in 539 and likely beginning in 609; (2) An approximate 70-year period beginning about 589 with the seige of Jerusalem and ending about 519/8, and mentioned in Zechariah 1:12 ; (3) An approximate 70-year period beginning about 587 with the destruction of Jerusalem and ending about 517/6, and mentioned in Zechariah 7:1-6. Since the temple rebuilding was not complete until well into the 5th century B.C., none of these can correspond with your idea.

AlanF

• M.J.
    M.J.

Nope. It was close to 70 years from the destruction to the START of rebuilding the temple.

In the 2nd year of Darius, work on the temple is started (Haggai 1:14-15).

If the temple had been destroyed in 587 BCE this would have been 67 years after the temple destruction.

In Haggai 2:1-4 it shows that some of the Jews working on the temple were old enough to have seen it in its former glory...so they must have been pretty old.

• mysterio91
    mysterio91

Thanks for the replies guys.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit