Sunning Himself on a Silk Tree.

by JamesThomas 12 Replies latest jw friends

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

I live and work on a small farm. Everyday there are many new adventures and things to see and discover. Today, I was happy to meet with this charming little fellow. Make note of his tail.

alt

j

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

He's a Blue-belly lizard. 1st I have seen like this.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Some lizards detach their tails if startled, and grow them back. Maybe that's what happened to this fellow?

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

Yes, jgnat, you're probably correct.

We have three cats on the farm. One, TigerBear, especially likes to catch lizards. So many have surrendered their tails to her, I wouldn't be surprised if we evolved a new tailless species here; as they would likely be the ones most apt to survive as they have no convenient long handle to grab. But instead we have this new forked handled verity. Go figure.

j

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

Well, looks like a lizard with a forked tail is not as amazing as I thought it was. I'm too easy to impress I guess.

j

• Apostate Kate
    Apostate Kate

I think its great! What a rare shot.

We too live out aways (hi desert-Mojave) and just adore all the wildlife. I had a beautiful blue whiptail lizard I think it is called that lived on my house. We have a mini zoo here. I just rescued a parrot this week. I am still trying to figure out what kind. Seems he can be an irritating bird and was being passed around. He loves it here, we think he's cool.

• parakeet
    parakeet

JamesThomas: ***Well, looks like a lizard with a forked tail is not as amazing as I thought it was.***

JT, you have to remember that most of us spent a good portion of our lives believing the most outlandish tales spun by the WTS -- a million species of animals literally stuffed into a tiny ark, grass-eating lions, seas spontaneously parting, etc. After stories like that, a little lizard with a forked tail doesn't peg the needle on the Whoa! meter. I will say, however, that he is a very sweet and unusual lizard.

parakeet, of the loves-birds-AND-reptiles class

• outnfree
    outnfree

This young ground skink's "forked" tail is a result of its tail not breaking off completely when it was grabbed by a predator. A "new" tail grew beside the injured tail.

From: http://www.mdc.mo.gov/nathis/herpetol/molizard/index.htm

I was impressed, too, JamesThomas!

Brenda

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

Neat-O, thanks!

• Quandry
    Quandry

Cool picture. I was impressed, as I've never seen a forked tail on a lizard. I really enjoy lizards and other wildlife, also.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit