Jehovah God and God

by Geronimo 12 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Geronimo
    Geronimo

Greetings Narkissos!

The reply I tried to post was formal:

At least, in English, "Jehovah God" may seem to mean something: "Jehovah" works as a determinative (hence a semantic reduction) of "God". But the French usual translation is completely meaningless, since there is no similar use of the juxtaposition in French syntax. Unless you take the two terms as first name and family name, as in "Jacques Chirac".

(Not to mention "Satan the Devil," who sounded like a cartoon character and is not even found in the Bible...)

As to the core of the issue, I believe the big problem of monotheism is historical. The notion of "God" happen to emerge, not as an alternative to "the gods," but as the self-revelation of Yhwh, previously regarded as "one of the gods". As a result, most of the earlier Yhwh stories simply do not suit "God," and monotheism is constantly struggling at explaining them away -- through allegory, anthropomorphism etc. Gnosticism, otoh, severs the Gordian knot by positing the true Origin as distinct from the OT god altogether.

I love your posts! You're not only informative but often damned funny! I know a bit of French (I'm studying with the use of language CDs) so I do understand what you're saying. Especially the cartoonish sound of Satan the Devil.

When you say that the notion of "God" emerged not as an alternative to "the gods" but as a self-revelation of YHWH, are you universalizing this particular tribal deity and it's cultic accoutrements? I sincerely disagree that YHWH is the Supreme Reality, that which we call in English "God." If YHWH is God's actual literal Name, and that is Who God literally is, then that particular sound ("Yahweh") would have to also be made by the speaking mechanisms of all the other sentient beings throughout the cosmos. They would also have the same cultic accoutrements in a form palatable to their particular planet and psychology. (I enjoy speaking of human religion in this sort of cosmic way because it alll becomes rather obvious that we're being silly when we universalize our human ideas of god and their various names) If we're merely talking about earth, then we're not really talking about GOD, then are we?

You know I hold you in high regard, so this is by no means either a frivolous bit of frappery, nor a serious challenge. Hopefully, this can be an enjoyable tete a tete. G

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Hi Geronimo,

When you say that the notion of "God" emerged not as an alternative to "the gods" but as a self-revelation of YHWH, are you universalizing this particular tribal deity and it's cultic accoutrements?

I was writing from a historical perspective -- more specifically, "God" as part of the history of religious beliefs. Practically every brand of monotheism in the world (Jewish, Christian, Islamic) can be traced back to Yhwh and his accession to the "only god -> God" status in the late 6th-century BC Jerusalem community -- that's no metaphysical truth, only history: it just happened this way. Hence practically all monotheists in the world have to deal with the embarrassing memories of Yhwh's turbulent youth, so to say -- when he was a little god in the polytheistic playyard.

I don't mean the notion of monotheism could not be reached otherwise -- actually it was, especially in Greek philosophy. Ho theos in Plato and his followers may carry Zeus' traits here and there, but is really distinct from "the gods" or any particular one of them.

• Geronimo
    Geronimo

Hello Narkissos. Thanks for the response. Yes, I figured you were speaking in historical terms, but one can always HOPE for somethign else! Having read so many of your threads I know better than to truly expect any lunacy. I have read Plato, but only in English. So, as far as Greek is concerned I'm just another pony. Though I am learning, slowly but surely. Drop a line any time Narkissos. G

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit