Jehovah's Witnesses are not Fundamentalists

by JeffT 23 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Inquisitor
    Inquisitor

But I apologise if I hurt you with my words somehow. I'll try to be gentler.

INQ

• JeffT
    JeffT

"You and your proud to be fundamentalist brothers..."

Sounds to me like you were calling me a fundamentalist. But I guess this thread is already proving that words have no meanings.

For the record:

1) I suspect that my tolerant views of sexual behavior in general and gay marriage in particular would disqualify me from hanging out with most people that call themselves fundamentalists.

2) I do believe that self-described "Fundamentalists" are intolerant and totalitarian.

I am just trying to say that doctrinally, Jehovah's Witnesses are not Fundamentalists any more than they are Mormons. Lumping them the two together is not accurately describing either.

• Inquisitor
    Inquisitor
    You and your proud to be fundamentalist brothers..... Sounds to me like you were calling me a fundamentalist.

That your "brothers are fundamentalist" does not necessarily mean that you are one yourself.

I stand by what I have said. I have not accused you of being a fundamentalist, but I apologise for any offense nonetheless.

But I guess this thread is already proving that words have no meanings.

The words discussed in this thread most certainly do as a good dictionary would readily prove. It is only a matter of whether or not one agrees with those definitions.

One cannot change the fact that the majority of the English-speaking world today regards "gay" as a reference to "homosexuality" and not to "general feelings of happiness". The word "gay" hasn't lost its meaning. The meaning evolved.

How and why we choose to accept or deny change speaks volumes about our personality.

INQ

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Arthur: Good description. What gets me about the JWs is that they claim to believe in Jesus but it is only lip service. Their actions negate this. They seem to love reverting to the old testament! I think they get off on the whole patriarchy/punishing thing. LHG

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit