The name changes again

by Jringe01 13 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Jringe01
    Jringe01

Has anyone noticed how Jehovahs Witnesses are starting to be refered to in the press as "The Christian Congregation of Jehovahs Witnesses"?

I wonder what the rationale is for the subtle name change. I realize they had started up a new legal entity with that name but I didn't realize that they had extended it to the religion as a whole. hmmmm???

http://www.southeasttexaslive.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=17167681&BRD=2287&PAG=461&dept_id=512504&rfi=6

• Arthur
    Arthur

It may be due in part to the huge amount of information that is available on the internet by ex-JWs. Many in the public have now become well educated about the Watchtower Society, and tend to use the terms Jehovah's Witnesses and Watchtower Society interchangeably. I think that the GB does not want the public to perceive the Witnesses as being members of a publishing company instead of being part of a worldwide "congregation". J.R. Brown even made statements along these lines in one of his PR puff pieces.

• Jringe01
    Jringe01

hehehe...pr puff peices. I love that one.

As I understand it the JW's changed the name in 1935 (???) to make sure they stood out from the rest of Christianity. And now thay change it to stand apart from.....themselves????? LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That has got to be one of the biggest ironies. :-) hahahahahahahahaha

• aniron
    aniron

Doesn't this go back 2-3 years when they split the WT up and made the Governing Body separate from the WT organisation so it couldn't be held responsible for anything.

Itwas divided into three section "The Christian Congregation of Jehovahs WItness" dealing with rank and file, congregations.

"The Religious Order of Jehovahs WItnessess" dealing with full time minister, pioneers, CO, DO's etc

There is a third can't remember its name that deal with "services" like printing, administration etc.

• Jringe01
    Jringe01

The third one would still be the WTBTS wouldn't it as it's still that entity that prints the literature.?

• Arthur
    Arthur

Here is a link that shows all of the corporations and legal entities used by the WTS:

http://www.freeminds.org/bethel/gbgrowsold.htm#update

• greendawn
    greendawn

Is that how they refer to themselves or is it a one off from a newspaper? That name is misleading anyway since there is nothing really Christian about them. The fact that virtually all JWs refuse to be part of the new covenent destroys their claim that they are Christians. Without being part of it they are outsiders, stateless non entities.

• inbyathread
    inbyathread

The New Letterhead that comes from Bethel lists "The Christian Congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses" thereinafter known as CCJW. There was a letter read to elders and ms about the change and it made reference that use of the word "christian' will help dismiss fear in the minds of those in the community, that it shows jw's as a 'christian' religion. The sign outside the kingdom hall however does not need to be changed.

• blondie
    blondie

I will know that the name has really changed when:

1) I ask a JW who comes to my door what religion he/she is and they say:

I'm a Christian rathern than a Jehovah's Witness (or more accurately one of Jehovah's witnesses). Even one of Jehovah's Christian witnesses would count.

Did you know that until 1984 the WTS did use the phrase "Jehovah's Christian Witnesses" in its publications then suddenly dropped it?

2) If the Kingdom Hall sign read:

Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Christian Witnesses

or

Christian Congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses

km 4/79 p. 4 Announcements ***
    Is it appropriate to have a Kingdom Hall sign saying: "Kingdom Hall of Jehovah’s Christian Witnesses"? So there will be uniformity, the Society encourages all to make their signs read: "Kingdom Hall of Jehovah’s Witnesses."

Makes you wonder why uniformity could not be achieved by all KHs reading "Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Christian Witnesses"?

Blondie

• bikerchic
    bikerchic
    Makes you wonder why uniformity could not be achieved by all KHs reading "Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Christian Witnesses"?

That Jehober Gawd sure is a fickle dude or maybe a dudette the way HE/SHE changes HIS/HER mind, can't help but wonder........

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit