Do the members pay for the litterature?

by Hellrider 9 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Hellrider
    Hellrider

I am discussing something on the "discussion"-part of Wikipedia (on Jehovahs witnesses) in my country. A person there claims that the witnesses pays nothing for the litterature they receive from the Watchtower. Is this true? Update me on this (in the 80s I know my parents paid, but I don`t know what it is like today). If all the litterature is free (books too?), how does the WTS pay for the litterature they print?

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

The jws in the UK aren't charged directly for literature, but are expected to put a contribution in the www box. They don't charge the householders either, but are actively encouraged to solicit payment by mentioning the donation arrangement to people who they place literature with, and if they receive a donation, are expected to put that in the www box as well, so the wts may, potentially, be paid twice instead of once.

• badboy
    badboy

I was never asked for money when they camed on the doors!

• under_believer
    under_believer

That is correct, literature is distributed on a voluntary donation basis. Donations for the worldwide work are accepted both from congregation publishers and from interested ones in the field.
    This changed back in the 90's when the Witnesses didn't want to pay taxes (there was a big hoohaa that involved the Society filing an amicus brief in a case with Jimmy Swaggart as the defendant!). Swaggart lost the case. The Witnesses instantly went over to a donation basis, and there was a "nudge nudge wink wink" kind of flavor to it where they thought that publishers would still donate just as much, since they knew what they'd been paying for it before.
    Didn't work out that way. This is one of the reasons that many exJW's theorize that there's a cash flow problem at the Society.

• testigay
    testigay

Main JW still pay for some costs BUT in general I think they contribute less than before. In the congregation where I'm staying now for 2 years I never paid nothing. I can tell you one thing: I remember several years ago (2003 I think) here in Spain were held 3 international conventions. My mother and two grand-parents give my 80 $ to put on the contribution box. Finally I din't through on that box, I kept for myself :p

• Hellrider
    Hellrider

Ok, thanks for clearing that up for me. By the way, does anyone remember how much the WTS is worth (moneywise) these days? There was a thread about it some time ago, but I can`t find it...

• blondie
    blondie

Since 2000, nowhere in the world is a JW charged a price for the literature nor do they directly ask for a specific price for the literature.

JWs are expected to donate anonymously what they feel is appropriate to the proper contribution box in the KH. JWs are instructed to ask for donations for the "worldwide work" from the people at the door but in essence that person will think the money is for the publications. Interestingly, JWs are not instructed to ask for money when the person doesn't take publications. Whatever money the person at the door gives the JW is supposed to be put in the proper contribution box in the KH.

In reality, many JWs don't donate and will not ask for money at the door. This is part of the reason why the WTS is finding funds are decreasing since 1990 when this arrangement began.

Blondie

• under_believer
    under_believer

Jeez blondie, you are moving in on 20K! Congrats!

• badboy
    badboy

I BELIEVE I read somewhere that it was $1billion at least ,possibly $26billion.

• blondie
    blondie

http://www.watchtowernews.org/Top40NYCcorps.htm

Watchtower Bible & Tract Society of New York

25 Columbia Heights, Brooklyn, 11201

718-560-5000

www.jw-media.org

Revenue: $951 million

Industry: Publishing

President: Milton Henshel

Employees: 3,415

It takes a lot of printing to supply more than 6 million Jehovah's Witnesses with the materials for their ministry. One publication, Watchtower, now has an average print run of 23 million copies twice per month, an increase of 7.5 percent over last year.

"Our report for the year is different from a Wall Street company," said vice president George Couch. Indeed, the company's employees are volunteers who live and work in the Brooklyn complex.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit