Ecclesiastes 9:5, 10 in the NWT

by Zico 23 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Practically, le`olam in negative constructions is "never". Cf. the very similar statement in 2:14ff:

The wise have eyes in their head,
    but fools walk in darkness.
    Yet I perceived that the same fate befalls all of them.
    Then I said to myself, "What happens to the fool will happen to me also; why then have I been so very wise?" And I said to myself that this also is vanity. For neither the wise nor the fool will ever (le`olam) be remembered, as in the days to come all will have been forgotten.How can the wise die just like fools?

Postulating an "age to come" where everyone would be remembered (as in post-Pharisaic Judaism) is as far as one can get from Qoheleth's thought. This may be the only way to understand Qoheleth from a Pharisaic or Christian perspective, but it actually ruins the original line of reasoning. For if such a future age of retribution is to be taken into account, then it cannot be said anymore that "the same fate befalls all" etc.

• Mondo1
    Mondo1

I am not saying that it was the focus of his discussion, but rather that he does not rule it out. His point, in context, is to get the most out of the current life for in death there is nothing. His point is not impacted by the thought of a future resurrection or lack thereof.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos
    I am not saying that it was the focus of his discussion, but rather that he does not rule it out. His point, in context, is to get the most out of the current life for in death there is nothing. His point is not impacted by the thought of a future resurrection or lack thereof.

Are you implying that everlasting life is not worth any sacrifice in the present age? If so you are running against most of the NT.

For instance, I don't see how Qoheleth's logic can be reconciled with Luke 6:20ff:

Blessed are you who are poor,
    for yours is the kingdom of God.
    Blessed are you who are hungry now,
    for you will be filled.
    Blessed are you who weep now,
    for you will laugh.
    Blessed are you when people hate you, and when they exclude you, revile you, and defame you on account of the Son of Man. Rejoice in that day and leap for joy, for surely your reward is great in heaven; for that is what their ancestors did to the prophets.
    But woe to you who are rich,
    for you have received your consolation.
    Woe to you who are full now,
    for you will be hungry.
    Woe to you who are laughing now,
    for you will mourn and weep.
    Woe to you when all speak well of you, for that is what their ancestors did to the false prophets.

• Mondo1
    Mondo1

I think that you are taking the two as mutually exclusive. Get the most out of life now, yes, but doing so in the service of God, as we see in chapter 12. His argument is not completed in chapter 9, but it is only a portion of it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit