conversation with my son

by Mommie Dark 1 Replies latest jw friends

• Mommie Dark
    Mommie Dark

My ten-year-old asked me why someone would want to hijack planes and crash them causing so much death and destruction. I told him that it was the work of religious fanatics who had been trained to hate and fear those who do not worship their god their way. He asked why anyone would suicide like that in order to kill so many. I told him what Steve Hassan said about the way they were indoctrinated into believing that their Paradise reward would be immediate, and that they genuinely believe their god approves of their actions.

I also told him that some of the people screaming the loudest for revenge were religious fanatics who worship yet another version of god, and who hate everyone who does not worship their god their way.

This gorgeous child stood and thought about it while I finished making his breakfast. Then he said, "Mom, I thought God made us all to get along. I don't understand why anyone would think He would want them to kill for him."

I said, "I don't understand either, hon."

He doesn't think there will be a war. He's confident the criminals will be found and punished, and that the world will act sanely in response to this crime. Blessed child! I wish I were as certain...

Jesus wept! This from a child who has never been indoctrinated with any religious anything. If he can figure it out, WHY CAN'T THE REST OF THE WORLD?

• Tatiana
    Tatiana

Hi Mommie, thanks for bringing this subject up.
    I also talked with my nine year old. Who was scared they were going to "bomb" Chicago next and had to sleep with me.

He just kept asking me who "invented" war? I tried to explain the reasons humans fight and kill each other. Going into long explanations about land, and religion, and democracy. And after I was done he just looked at me and said, "Well, I think that's just stupid!"

Out of the mouths of babes......

April

"Love never dies." Voivodul Vlad Draculea (from Bram Stoker's Dracula-1992)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit