Imagine the Messiah arriving in the 20th Century..

by zeroday 8 Replies latest jw friends

• zeroday
    zeroday

I mean, why the 1st century. No mass media, no internet. What could God possibily accomplished 2000 years ago that would have not been grossly maginified today. First century Messiah. Kind of iffy at the least. Today, front page news on the New York Times and all the cable news channels. No room for doubt at all. Why then.

• blondie
    blondie

I hate sounding like a JW, but..........

The Jewish genealogical records were destroyed in 70 A.D. I thought. How could any man today prove he was from the tribe of Judah, family of David, in line with prophecy about the Messiah?

So it makes sense that if the Messiah were to come that it would have to have been before 70 A.D. or God would have to miraculously recreate or restore those records.

Blondie

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

Most likely its a myth that was started by the jews to control the masses. Before Jesus there were other Messiahs Krishna for one.

• zeroday
    zeroday
    So it makes sense that if the Messiah were to come that it would have to have been before 70 A.D. or God would have to miraculously recreate or restore those records.

Understood, but step back for a moment. Why the whole prophesy in the first place. Why not prophesy the Messiah appearing later, in the 20th century. In the first century, it was the stone age actually. Nothing but a 2000 year, "Did you hear"....

• blondie
    blondie

So you are saying cut out all the prophecies about the Messiah, making him not even having to be a descendant of Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Judah, David? Sort of guts the Bible's Messiah.

I suppose a lot of things could happen if there were no Judeo-Christian writings or if they were totally re-written.

Blondie

• zeroday
    zeroday
    So you are saying cut out all the prophecies about the Messiah, making him not even having to be a descendant of Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Judah, David? Sort of guts the Bible's Messiah.

Not really, why not prophesy the Messiah from the beginning to appear much later than the first century. He could have been a descendant of Abraham, Isaac, Jacob Judah and David and another 1000 generations before he appeared. Appealing to a much broader audience. Imagine the Messiah appearing on Larry King live. Don't mean to appear flippant but the broad appeal would be much greater in the mass media age.

• Star Moore
    Star Moore

Hi Zero..

Well, I believe there is a 1st and a 2nd coming of Christ. and that both times he is a human man.

Also that there could be some geneology dug up under some of those old European churches..to eventually prove who he is...

• Apathy
    Apathy

Because part of having faith in something, is the possibility that it might not be true. Anyone can believe something that's solid, that's been proven. How many people will believe something that supposedly happened two thousand years before they were born?

At least, that's my theory on the thing.

• blondie
    blondie
    He could have been a descendant of Abraham, Isaac, Jacob Judah and David and another 1000 generations before he appeared.

But there are no genealogical records to prove it since they were destroyed around 70 CE.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit