Death and Ex-JWs

by Mysterious 20 Replies latest jw friends

• Mysterious
    Mysterious

It's a long weekend so it's time to bring out a big issue, death. I know it's something most ex-jws (at least for a while) struggle with when they exit the organization.

I think a weird moment for me was yesterday when my boyfriend's parents called. One of his cats (who was 16) had to be put down. He was sad but he didn't cry he said he couldn't cry for something that had lived a good life and fulfilled it's lifespan, it was only natural for the old to die. I guess that one still hasn't sunk in yet for me.

Thoughts from anyone else?

• garybuss
    garybuss

I had to face my mortality right after I first had to sit down to put my pants on.

• parakeet
    parakeet

***he said he couldn't cry for something that had lived a good life and fulfilled it's lifespan, it was only natural for the old to die.***
    I wish I could be that dispassionate about death. I'm a basket case whenever a pet or someone close to me dies, but I don't think the JWs have anything to do with that. I've been reconciled (somewhat) to the idea of death for many years now. My pity goes to sick, elderly JWs, who believed all their lives that they wouldn't die. It must be a terrible thing to have to face death for the first time at an advanced age.

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

I've never been a JW.... death means very little to me.... just crossing over from one existence to another.... somedays, the older I get, it doesn't look too bad...

• sspo
    sspo

Death of a cat?

Right now i'm dealing with a divorce.

• vitty
    vitty

It took me quite a while to come to terms with the thought of my own inevitable death. But I did, and now I dont worry or think about it. After being told for years that I would live forever, it was a feeling of sadness, not that I was going to die but the people I loved were going to.

I dont have a problem with ppl dying of old age but I am incredibly sad when someone young dies. Today I read about Steve Urwin, now that is so sad.

• Warlock
    Warlock

One morning I woke up realizing I wasn't going to see any "new system" and I was going to grow old and die in this one. I accept it. The part that still bothers me is I wasted over 20 years believing that I was never going to die.

Warlock

• Highlander
    Highlander

I'm still coming to terms with impending death. I consider myself agnostic, so therefore I don't put any stock in a paradise dream.

Though I don't believe in a god(I'm open to the possibility of one if he'd just have the guts to show himself!!!),, I still haven't quite accepted the reality that I WILL die someday,

just like my dad will die, as my grandparents and older generations have already died.

It's a slow process, one that I hope to come to terms with. I hope.

• MichaelT
    MichaelT

Have faith in what God says. He says in the Bible there will be a Paradise, New Heavens and a New Earth. Have Faith. DO not judge yourself. Only God and Jesus can make that call. They can see a lot more than we ever will be able to.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

The more aware we are of who/what we are, the more self-evident -- even welcome maybe -- death is (and the other way round).

Avoiding the thought of death is natural to youth and health. Older people seriously considering living forever, in paradise or wherever, gets kind of creepy to me.

If we love the freshness of life we also love (unknowingly most of the times) the obliteration of forms.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit