Anyone seen "Wicker Man" yet?

by gaiagirl 4 Replies latest social entertainment

• gaiagirl
    gaiagirl

Curious if anyone has seen "Wicker Man" with Nicholas Cage yet. I have not seen it but have seen the original 1973 version, depicting a Scottish policeman who travels to an isolated island to investigate reports of a missing girl. Sort of a Twilight Zone thing going on, with contradictory clues everywhere. People appeared to be friendly and healthy, and completely free from sexual hangups (quite a bit of the film dealt with this). In general, life on the island seemed very good, unless one was chosen to be "king for a day". Those who have seen the film know what I mean, I won't reveal more in order not to spoil things for those who have not.

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

I didn't really care for the 1973 version I thought it fed into stereotypes of pagans. I won't say which stereotypes because I don't want to give it away. But then every film I've ever seen make us out to be evil so what the heck, hey?

Haven't seen the new one, not sure if I will.

Sherry

• MegaDude
    MegaDude

The premise of the original Wicker Man was interesting. A 50ish policeman from Scotland yard who is extremely religious and a prude goes to investigate the disappearance of a girl on an island populated by pagans who practice sexual rites to promulgate a better harvest. No big thumbs up but I thought the ending was chilling.

Check out multiple reviews at a glance tomorrow here.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/wicker_man/

If the film scores under 50, you can assume it's a turkey as far as most people are concerned.

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

I just love Nicolas Cage. So, I'd watch him in just about anything. If "The Wickerman" is anything like "8MM", it's going to be really scarey because the truth is stranger than fiction. The things that people do!

• Brigid
    Brigid

I saw the original~it really had so much potential but kind of got weird at the end. I look forward to seeing the new one because the premise is promising.

hmmm, didn't even know they'd remade this.

~B.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit