Isn't resurection just you dying and leaving behind a really confused clone

by mkr32208 19 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

Philosophy is becoming more and more interesting to me. Questions of existence of what makes YOU, well YOU! I've been mulling this over in my mind for a while, and decided to ask your opinions on it!

How can I put this... Ummm

Ok Jehovah has you in his memory right so he could conceivably blast you with lightning and they resurrect you on the spot right!? In fact you could be resurrected in the middle of a pile of your own twisted viscera correct?

Ok so say he cuts out the first step, makes you a new body and resurrects you WITHOUT KILLING YOUR FIRST! Is this 'resurrected' clone YOU? You still exist right there next to it so is it really you? Or just a confused clone?

So I guess this is my question if you die and are magically resurrected in the 'new system' were you REALLY resurrected or is there just a clone walking round who THINKS it's YOU?

Can you be separated from your body?

(For those who believe in an 'immortal soul' separate from the body we can deal with that later!)

• moshe
    moshe

Ok so say he cuts out the first step, makes you a new body and resurrects you WITHOUT KILLING YOUR FIRST! Is this 'resurrected' clone YOU? You still exist right there next to it so is it really you? Or just a confused clone?

Society lacks a respected thinker like Aristotle or Plato to answer your questions. Come to think of it , it was the Greeks who started people thinking seriously about life after death.

• mkr32208
    mkr32208
    Society lacks a respected thinker like Aristotle or Plato to answer your questions.

Maybe that's a future position for me!

I got thinking about this while attempting to write a book a while back. I was doing some reading and thinking about cloning and thought if you were very sick so science made you a clone and it learned EVERYTHING about you it still wouldn't BE you! Whats the difference between that and a resurrection! I mean really its still NOT you!

• crankytoe
    crankytoe

This is still an unresolved problem in my bible/book study. The resurrection as they describe it sounds like a copy of the person, not the actual person who died.

• Descender
    Descender

What I was taught while growing up was that it's our own experiences, personal thoughts and feelings that make us who we are, so in order to resurrect someone god would have to transfer all of that person's memories and thoughts and feelings into a new body. So, as long as you have the exact same memories that you had the moment you died, in essence you should be the same person even if not in the same body.

But if there was no transfer from the old to the new and it was just a clone of you body-wise then it wouldn't be you. That new body would have new experiences and thoughts that would have nothing to do with the original. Other than the genetic similarities, it would be a completely different person.

• mkr32208
    mkr32208
    it's our own experiences, personal thoughts and feelings that make us who we are, so in order to resurrect someone god would have to transfer all of that person's memories and thoughts and feelings into a new body

No that would just be a REALLY REALLY good COPY of you! Don't you see! He could do that without you ever dying! He could make that 'perfect copy' while you were still alive! So then are there two of YOU? OR are YOU still YOU and there is just a really good copy walking around that THINKS it's you!

Now if there was an immortal soul that soul would have to travel to that body to MAKE that body you! If there ISN'T an immortal soul then YOU CANNOT BE SEPERATED FROM YOUR BODY! If you are then YOU cease to exist!

• the dreamer dreaming
    the dreamer dreaming

one of the issues that nearly caused me to wake up from the JW trance was this very one...but quantum physics came to the rescue... even though JWs rejected the way it did, I maintained it personally until my full liberation from the borg....it goes like this...

according to Heisenberg's uncertainty principle, you cannot observe any complete system without altering it... but you can copy everything even sub-atomically like the transporter in star trek and then re-assemble it all and restore the exact thing you had taken apart.... in a sense the pattern would only exist as long as the pattern as a whole would be kept in tact somehow.... without being seen by any conscious observer.... so if GOD or whoever has me in his mind all the time, my pattern can only exist one time as me and if I die and can only transfer me to another body and no clones in multiple....something like that.

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

An interesting theory! To take the transporter example to it's obvious completion what if the transporter screwed up and you ended up complete at both ends of the transporter beam? I mean if you popped out on the enterprise you would THINK you had made the trip in one piece but what if you didn't get blasted to pieces at the other end YOU would be walking around asking why it was broken!

So which one is you? The one on the enterprise or the one still in space dock 101?

• VM44
    VM44

Here is a possible solution.

A being is alive where they are located in the mind of God.

This would mean that every living being's existence is maintained as long as God has them in His memory.

This idea of "Existence in God's Memory" solves many of the problems raised in this thread about the resurrection.

Now, does this idea really mean anything is another question.

--VM44

Edited to add: I read The Dreamer Dreaming's post just after I posted the above. The ideas in our two postings are very similar. I believe that Bishop Berkeley's philosophy stated that reality is maintained through the Mind of God.

• nelly136
    nelly136

and a neutered one to boot, with no feelings or need for sex or procreation.....least thats how resurrected were explained to me when i asked about all those husbands and wives coming back only to find their spouses had remarried someone else.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit