My family is making me nuts

by NowImFree 14 Replies latest jw experiences

• Carmel
    Carmel

I wouldn't do anything that would disturb a 78 year old mom. She hasn't much more to deal with before she pushes up daiseys. Think about when she is gone and consider any regrets you might have in how you behave now. Don't do what you would regret later. As to the rest of the family, I honored my brothers and sister-in-law's wishes not to be part of their lives. Best strategy ever. They went their ways in constant fear of the big A, scurrying about selling b-grade pulp fiction, while I've had a great life. Two of my sister-in-laws have re-connected with me and are "out" so once they wise up, you may be getting a call or a surprise e-mail.

Don't let insane in-laws make you insane!

carmel

• Twitch
    Twitch
    If she answers me that she doesn't want me to continue calling her, it will devestate me, but at least I will know where I stand and it will be over and done with. I just feel like I can't maintain this relationship (you can't really call it a relationship at this point) the way it is.

Everyone needs to know where they stand with regard to loved ones, for good or bad. Living in the nether world in between is so draining and confusing; at least for me. You have the right to create peace and feel good about yourself with those in your life. I've found it best to confront the issue/person and lay the cards on the table, have the heart to heart, take the chance so as to end the fear and speculation of what might be and start dealing with what is. It can be the hardest thing to do but no matter what happens, you can look back and say you tried and said your piece.

I agree with the talking about secular things only of course because as you know, some are so entrenched in the dub world that nothing external will extricate them. Their choice. It does sound like there's a lot of fear and detachment you sense from her, which we both know the reasons for. I am sorry you have to deal with this. But don't let it make you nuts; it will if you let it ;-)

In reference to what Garybuss said, I've come to terms with the fact that my parents will likely die as dubs as well and at this point, I tend to think that it's better to let a sleeping dog lie. Though my situation is not as "harsh" as some, there still is the deeply rooted aftereffects of the life previous and the ongoing stuggle to maintain some semblance of the nuclear family. I am ok with the fact I cannot change them and so much of my struggle with this is that it wasn't them, but myself that had to change and reconcile issues. Not that I love them as parents any less. It's never easy is it?

Take care

• greendawn
    greendawn

They are being brainwashed to fear dissenters so as to keep away from them. The FDS fears what they know about them and the org, they can easily lose massive numbers of their members if they don't manipulate them into shutting all lines of communication with the dissenters. Hence the policy of fierce suppression of all opposing information.

• earthtone
    earthtone

Try not to take it too personally. She thinks God is telling her it's the right think to do. It's hard to get through to people when it comes to their religious beliefs (I know, I was once like this). And God (the borg) is telling her not to let you in too close. How can you argue (or get through) that?!

• NowImFree
    NowImFree

Thanks for your input everyone. It is very helpful. Like some of you said, I do feel like I need to lay the cards on the table with her no matter where the chips may fall. I think it's the not knowing and the limbo land feeling that is bothering me so much. If she tells me not to call her anymore, at least I know where she stands and that I tried. If she tells me that she still wants to talk, then great but I still think we need to have a heart to heart about how we each feel, without going into JW doctrine or anything like that. Maybe she is afraid I am going to try to tell her things about the org, which I'm not. I did in the past, but now I know that no matter what the Watchtower tells them or how nuts the org gets, they will still buy it all. Nobody can show them anything, they have to see it for themselves. I now realize how deep the brainwashing is. Anyway, I am trying to get up the nerve to call her tonight. I'll let you know what happens.

Thanks again,

NowImfree

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit