Are Witnesses okay with Fantasy Football leagues?

by free2beme 9 Replies latest jw friends

• free2beme
    free2beme

I was wondering about this, as Fantasy Football leagues are becoming big this time of year. I have people I work with who live by these things, and even spend their entire breaks tracking information or text messaging friends to make changes. It is not always about gambling, but often it is and in any case it takes a lot of time to work it. Which is the key reason I was wondering if Witnesses would speak against it, as it is so time consuming and all free time is suppose to belong to the Witnesses. So if your still connected with the Witnesses, how is the religion and their followers treating this Fantasy Football thing?

• earthtone
    earthtone

I haven't talked with anyone about this, but my answer would be NO, it's not okay. They might start to have too much in common with "worldly" folks and something other than religion to talk about. I guess they could do it amongst themselves, but I could see this opening up a conversation with a worldly person who sees them send texts and making phone calls to their witness friends. Then a conversation between the two individual (JW & Worldly) would start. Next thing you know they are bonding and....BAD association spoils useful habits.

When it came to sports in general I remember them saying to be careful with being to involve in them. I don't remember any young witness boys getting together to play football or basket ball on regular basis The few times I did recall, it didn't seem to last long.

• Alexix
    Alexix

??, ????? ???????? ??? ???????? ??? ??????!

• free2beme
    free2beme

Are you not aware of what Fantasy Football leagues are? They're huge right now. Don't feel bad there, I only figured out what myspace was about four months ago and did not even realize how big it was until this summer.

• In Between
    In Between

I've been playing for 15 years ... am always in multiple leagues ... I remember when I started his one elder wife threw a hissy fit about it and scared the other 'brothers' away from it ... for the most part, nowadays it is a 'guilty' pleasure that just isn't talked about ... but there are JW's into it ...

• Highlander
    Highlander

In the midwest where I used to live, and my family still resides,, fantasy football is ok as long as there isn't any money involved. The one league I participate in currently has

two elders, and four ministerial servants in it. There have been other elders in that league in the past as well. So at least where I used to live it's accepted.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

I would guess the friends would be against them. The only thing they are really in favor of is going out in service, quick builds and attending assemblies.

• done4good
    done4good

I know of several jws that do it.

j

• Honesty
    Honesty

Why shouldn't they be OK with them.... most jw's live in one huge Fantasy world anyway so what's a bit of fun and games to go along with their delusion?

• carla
    carla

The word 'fantasy' and jw's together in the same sentence?!! I don't think that sounds appropriate do you? haha, in the news here the other day- there is a new 'fantasy league' you can join! For football widows, you choose three husbands and if they don't work out you get to choose three new ones! Not sure how fantasy leagues work but in this one there is situations you must deal with and respond to, you are given points by your response.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit