Has Anyone Moved To Start A New Life

by uwishufish 10 Replies latest jw friends

• uwishufish
    uwishufish

I have plans to try to move to a new place( a long ways away) and do a career change among other things.

Has anyone here ever made such changes and what advice do any of you have to offer that would be helpful?

Uwishufish

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

Yes, I have done it

make sure you are running to something and not away from something is my advice.

purps

• uwishufish
    uwishufish

Thanks very enlightening. What are the ramifications if what I trying to leave (run from) Doesn't follow?

• looking_glass
    looking_glass

I moved away and it was fine. In the end nothing followed me or showed up at my door. It was great, I was able to get lost in the big city and no one ever checks up on me like you do in the burbs.

• hambeak
    hambeak

Yes I moved 1900 miles away to start a new life and career to make new friends from CA to TX. But you will still want to keep in touch with family and if they are jw"s they will want you to get in contact with the local cong.

Just be sure what you are looking for and then pursue it and don't look back

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

I've done it... twice now.

When I left the JWs and my marriage I found a place to live that was in the same area as where my daughters grew up. I didn't want to force a huge change on them. But that also meant we kept running into JWs all over the place.

But I hated the political climate in Montreal and found it so hard to cope with a political regime that treated unilingual English speaking people as second class citizens. I got the chance to go west to Winnipeg and I did.

The freedom to go to the store or wander down the street and not run into JWs that I knew was fabulous. The downside was that I was 2400 km away from my now grown daughters.

I left my second husband Oct 2004 and moved to Ottawa. I love this city. It is clean, beautiful and has wonderful services for people with disabilities. I am 1 1/2 hrs from Montreal and one of my daughters. The other is 30-45 mins further.

Suggestions:

• Before you move do some research on where you are going. Most cities now have a website - check it out. Some even have info for new residents.
    • Check to see if there is a WELCOME WAGON service to help you once you arrive.
    • Ottawa has a women's welcome group to help you connect with people in the erea.
    • In Winnipeg I didn't explore the city as much as I would have liked. Once I got a job and was driving around I got to know the city but that took a couple of years.
    • In Ottawa I bought a map, got on a bus and traveled around the city just exploring. It has helped immensly in becoming familiar with my new surroundings.
    • I also bought a couple of books specifically for people with disabilites to let us know what services are accessible. At the city hall there was all kinds of info about Ottawa for anyone. That was really easy to get and has been very helpful.
    • I also make sure to pick up free journals or newspaprers that give a digest version of what is happening in my area of the city.
    • Just getting out and wandering around, discovering markets and whatever services are near to me has been helpful.
    • Treat your new area like an adventure waiting to be discovered. One day last sring I went down one street, a residential area, and saw the most amazing tree I have ever seen. I still don't know what it is called but it was in bloom and beautiful.
    • Check out community centers to see what they have to offer. You might be surprised
  • Carmel
    Carmel

Yep! Moved to a neighboring town to attend college. Moved to a different state to teach school. Moved to another state to change careers. Moved to Alaska to advance my career. Left the company, started another career. Moved to another country to "serve where the need was great". Moved back to the us to care for grandson and re-start career three. Will likely move again in two years to do as I dam well please!

Moving is not only exciting it helps one to shed a lot of baggage, both literal and mental. New places, new cultures, new friends add emensely to your world view and sense of accomplishment. I'm looking forward to exploring western Australia, Tasmania, East Africa and Malaysia. I expect to have an airline ticket and an updated passport in hand when I fall dead.

carmel

• uwishufish
    uwishufish

The replies are great. The ideas are awsom!

I've ordered a relocation pkg via internet.

In the process of simplifing ( selling stuff that weighs me down)

And wondering wh other lose ends will present themselves.

Uwuf

• outoftheorg
    outoftheorg

I think it depends on WHY are we leaving, what is it we want to leave behind and will any of this change just because of the moving.

I moved once and found the problem went with me.

Take some time to think these things through and be sure that moving away will do what you want,

Outoftheorg

• Scully
    Scully

We moved to make a "clean break" from the JWs. It coincided with my beginning college and the move was designed to have us live within walking distance of campus. We were out of our congregation's territory and out of the circuit at the same time. There was a lot less harassment from JWs that way than if we had tried to fade from the congregation without moving. They weren't expecting us to be at circuit assemblies, so we never got questioned about why we weren't there. The new congregation didn't know us from a hole in the ground, so they never bothered us either.

The move allowed us to have a fresh start and make new friends and develop new interests that otherwise would have been filled with meetings and field service. It was like getting off the hamster wheel and actually finding out what life was like outside the cage.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit