Elderly JW Couple Robbed in Indianapolis

by Alana 7 Replies latest jw friends

• Alana
    Alana

TheIndyChannel.com

Couple Bound In Home-Invasion Robbery

POSTED: 9:56 am EDT August 21, 2006 UPDATED: 8:54 pm EDT August 21, 2006

INDIANAPOLIS -- Police said an older couple were bound and robbed in their home on Saturday.

Edward Moore, 77, and Marjesia Moore, 65, were accosted by two men before 9:30 a.m. in their home in the 3900 block of Kenwood Avenue, according to police.

Marjesia Moore told police that she was asleep when she noticed a hallway light in the home was on. When she got up, Moore was confronted by two men, according to investigators.

Investigators said one of the men confronted Edward Moore at gunpoint when he went to see what the commotion was.

Police said one of the men took the couple to a bedroom as the other man ransacked the home looking for cash. The men found money, then took the couple to the home's basement and tied them with duct tape, investigators said.

"We were sitting quiet," Edward Moore told 6News' Derrik Thomas. "We told (one of the robbers) we were Jehovah's Witnesses and that we weren't going to bother anybody. All the money he could find he could have. Just don't hurt us."

The men got away with about $900 and a 2000 Buick LeSabre. The couple was found by an acquaintance who went to the home for Bible study.

Police said they found the car later that day.

Authorities said they believe the robbers entered the home through a basement window.

A description of the robbers was not immediately available.

• Dansk
    Dansk

Anyone who attacks someone else is a blight on society and should be punished. Anyone who attacks an elderly person is particularly cowardly and doubly reprehensible.

Ian

• karen96
    karen96

I agree, Dansk. Thankfully this couple wasn't hurt, it could have turned out a lot worse for them.

Karen

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Dansk said,

Anyone who attacks someone else is a blight on society and should be punished. Anyone who attacks an elderly person is particularly cowardly and doubly reprehensible.

I agree completely.

The original story tells us:

The men found money, then took the couple to the home's basement and tied them with duct tape, investigators said.

In my opinion, it is a MAJOR mistake to ever allow a criminal to tie you up. It is frequently a prelude to your murder, as it was in the murders committed by the Charles Manson gang. If you must go down, go down FIGHTING!

• serendipity
    serendipity

I'm glad they got out alive!

• loosie
    loosie

I'm glad that they didn't get hurt but how come it didn't work out for them like it did for this couple of sisters? God protected them why wasn't this couple protected?

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/12/119069/1.ashx

• parakeet
    parakeet

JWs have a misguided belief that Jehovah will protect them during FS and Bible studies.
    I remember as a young teenage girl, I often went into rundown apartment buildings alone to place magazines. None of the adults in my car group ever expressed any reservations about this or any concerns for my safety.
    Looking back now, I realize I was extremely lucky. This elderly couple were not as lucky.
    What they experienced was reprehensible and uncalled-for, but all JWs should realize that unrestricted contact with the public carries risk.

• sspo
    sspo

The society won't be using this experience at the next DC

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit