Taliban Taboos...

by closer2fine 6 Replies latest jw friends

• closer2fine
    closer2fine

Since coming to power in 1996, the Taliban has issued a series of measures seeking to impose their interpretation of Islam on the country.

Prayer
    Failure to pray to Mecca five times a day -- a requirement of the Muslim religion -- is punishable by imprisonment.

Women and driving
    Drivers are prohibited from giving rides to women. Violators are subject to imprisonment.

Preventing idolatry
    Portraits -- paintings and photos -- are said to promote idolatry and must be destroyed under the law.

Women and work
    Women are banned from working outside the home except in the health sector. In hospitals, women are separated from their male colleagues.

Women and education
    The Taliban forbids the education of women until institutions segregating them from men are established. Informal education of women can be punishable by law. For men, at least a sixth-grade education is required.

Entertainment
    Music, except for religious chants, is prohibited in shops, hotels and vehicles, and at weddings and parties. Kite flying is considered "useless" and an obstacle to education. Hobbies like keeping pigeons also are forbidden.

Gambling
    Forbidden and punishable by at least a month in prison.

Beards and barbers
    Men who trim or shave their beards -- considered a sign of Islamic piety -- are imprisoned until their beard grows out. Taliban religious police have been known to employ "the fist rule." A beard must be long enough to be held in a fist. Barbers are banned from giving "American-style" haircuts.

Public bathing
    The Taliban shut public bathhouses for men and women, even though most Afghans lack running water. The Taliban says Islam forbids men and women to publicly display their bodies.

TALIBAN UNWILLING TO CHANGE
    Pakistan has told the Taliban that a massive U.S. strike is in the making, Pakistani military sources said Friday. They said that despite the warnings, the Taliban were unwilling to change their stance on bin Laden, whom they have sheltered since 1996.
    Instead, the Afghan Foreign Ministry announced that Taliban guerrillas — known as “mujahedeen” — could move against any neighbors who support a U.S. military strike.

Source:
    http://www.msnbc.com/news/629304.asp

closer

Mean People Produce
    Little Mean People - bumpersticker

• Tatiana
    Tatiana

Yes, this government is insane. What I don't understand is why it's been allowed to continue. With all the atrocities committed against it's people. Especially women! This link from another thread (By msil)will show you just what this Taliban is capable of.

http://rawa.fancymarketing.net/report.htm

April

"Love never dies." Voivodul Vlad Draculea (from Bram Stoker's Dracula-1992)

• closer2fine
    closer2fine

Thanks for the link!

closer

Mean People Produce
    Little Mean People - bumpersticker

• RedhorseWoman
    RedhorseWoman

Truly, eliminating these monsters will be the salvation of the Afghan people.

• Teirce
    Teirce

When I hear Americans plead for patience out of fear of killing innocent Afghanis, I agree.

When I hear Americans plead for non-aggression against the terrorists who did this, in the hope that we can 'see it their way', I try to not talk back. Surely, I tell myself, there is some basic things we can learn from walking a mile in their shoes.

If I hear anyone defend this Towelbun government Solely on the principle that they are a different culture and entitled to their own state of progress, I say deport that person before something happens to them in a dark alley.

• Tatiana
    Tatiana

Towelbun government??? You made me laugh for the first time today, Teirce.

I agree with what you said. I'm all for freedom of speech and freedom of religion, until you start killing people to make them see "your" side. I think if the Taliban government ever tried to do to American women what they are doing to their own women, there would be hell to pay! Scenes from "Xena-Warrior Princess" come to mind. Lots of dead men in dark alleys!!!!!!

April

"Love never dies." Voivodul Vlad Draculea (from Bram Stoker's Dracula-1992)

• hippikon
    hippikon

I found this little story quite ammusing

Donkey shoe as Taliban stamp
    After the capture of Mazar city by Taliban, they appoint an illiterate person by the name of Mulla Shah Mohammad in charge of Dehdadi municipality. Mullah Shah Mohammad asked the clerk of the municipality to order a stamp to seal the day to day paper work of the municipality. The clerk immediately asked the local stamp engraver to make a stamp for the municipality. When Mulla Shah Mohammad finally saw the stamp, he got very angry and said “look at this large municipality and look at that small stamp, go and make a big stamp”. The clerk went back to the stamp engraver and said to him that the mayor is asking for a big stamp. The stamp maker gathers that he is dealing with a complete moron so he made the stamp from a donkey shoe upon which he scribed:

In a city where asses are in-charge
    Shah Mohammed will be, of course, the city mayor

When Mulla Shah Mohammad saw the new stamp smiled and said, “look, this is a good stamp”. A few days later when he noticed the inscription, he went after the stamp maker, however by then, the stamp maker had fled from the town, yet the official documents with the new seal had reached the governor’s office!

http://rawa.fancymarketing.net/50reports.htm#bes

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit