Watchtower display in Yellowstone Park this morning

by RunningMan 15 Replies latest jw friends

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

This morning, I drove through Yellowstone park, on my way to Jackson Hole. Just before noon, I saw a sign that said, “West Thumb Geyser Basin.” It looked interesting, so I wheeled in.

After seeing the geysers, I noticed a couple people sitting behind a desk with a display beside them. On their other side was a sign that said something like “This group is exercising its first amendment rights. It is not affiliated or endorsed by the park in any way.”

The man had short, dark, greasy hair. The woman was sitting under an umbrella. As I made my way around the front, sure enough, the display was featuring the “What does Dog Require of us” brochure, and they had a sign inviting people to sign up for a Bible study, or check them out on line at watchtower.org.

Now, this park was virtually full. There must have been 200 cars in the lot and several tour busses. The walkways and the building were bustling with people. But, there wasn’t a soul within 50 feet of these two rejects. It’s like they were wearing normality repellant, or something.

I can’t believe they are embarrassing themselves like this. They are putting themselves into the same category as Moonies and Hari Krishnas.

But, it’s a pretty slack way of getting their time in. Say, at just before noon on a Sunday, shouldn’t they be at the meeting?

• Arthur
    Arthur
    On their other side was a sign that said something like “This group is exercising its first amendment rights. It is not affiliated or endorsed by the park in any way.”

This surprises me. I am surprised that the ACLU has not sued state or federal agencies over this. I would think that the ACLU would throw a fit over this; claiming that it is somehow a government endorsement of religion. Even though the Witnesses had a disclaimer sign, I would think that activist attorneys would claim that their very presence on Federal property was an endorsement of religion. Remember, they sued a municipality over displaying a nativity scene on government property. They sued and had the Ten-Commandments removed from courthouses. The New York City Transportation Authority banned Witnesses from passing out literature on the subways because of this very argument.

Mark my words. Sooner or later, the ACLU is going to file suit regarding these activities. And when they do, the Witnesses are going to start howling that they are being persecuted.

• daniel-p
    daniel-p
    It’s like they were wearing normality repellant, or something.

That's hilarious. In fact, I'm going to steal that.

• uwishufish
    uwishufish

I would like to see them persecuted, better yet TAXED to death.

Uwuf

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

Is that legal to do at a park?

• blondie
    blondie

I wonder if they would allow someone to put up a table with information on "What JWs really teach" with some pamphlets.

The best thing to do is check with the park administration and find out what their regulations are. Just because they had a table set up doesn't mean the park admin knew about it. I wonder if they give other religions equal time. I have visited many national parks and never seen such a display for any religion.

Blondie

• garybuss
    garybuss

This reminds me of the stories about the Rutherford era where the Witness people went risky places and did risky things to try to get in trouble on purpose so the Society would have media coverage all the way to the Supreme court and IF they won, they had bragging rights for decades afterwards.
    Most likely it's Stretch and Lumpy on vacation AND pioneering.

• sf
    sf

Someone who lives up that way needs to go there and set up a small table with printed fliers of JESUS CANO case and silentlambs fliers. Also a printed page of useful websites such as FREEMINDS.ORG.

Design a banner that reads "THE TRUTH ABOUT THE BOOTH, NEXTDOOR".

The APOSTATE FIELD ACTIVITY IS ONLY LIMITED TO YOUR IMAGINATION!

sKally

• sspo
    sspo

I see them constantly inside shopping centers.They get a table and load it up with all kinds of literature.

Usually it is old timers, retired and pioneering, easy way to get your time in.

Funny things in these shopping centers there are 1000's of shoppers, not once have i seen anyone interested enough to stop and inquire excpet me to shoot the breeze with them.

• free2beme
    free2beme

They should have put a sign right next to them that said,

"Do not feed the wildlife!"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit