Joe Hovah and his SEVENTEEN Commandments! Not Merely Ten!

by Mistah MOJO 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Satanus
    Satanus

Ade

One would expect the wording to agree perfectly with that of Exodus 20:8-12, 17

One would, if the pentateuch was really inspired, accurate and original. However, it is none of the above. It is a collage, a conflation of a collection of cannanite stories, legends, w some jewish history. These two sets of commandments shows the redaction process quite clearly. Of course, most of the faithful will not accept that.

S

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

S I guess my question would be, even with the wording changes, does the meaning of the commands change? It's not like one says to keep the Sabbath, and one says don't keep the Sabbath. Also I don't think anyone is suggesting or claiming that we have the original copies or perfect copies of the originals.

One would expect the wording to agree perfectly with that of Exodus 20:8-12, 17

One would, if the pentateuch was really inspired, accurate and original. However, it is none of the above. It is a collage, a conflation of a collection of cannanite stories, legends, w some jewish history. These two sets of commandments shows the redaction process quite clearly. Of course, most of the faithful will not accept that.

I'm not so sure about that. Do you really think that if this is "a collage, a conflation of a collection of cannanite stories, legends, w some jewish history" that the writers (or collectors) where so dumb as to not copy them perfectly.

• Ade
    Ade

hi, "most of the faithful will not accept that" - its true that i personally wont accept that. however i also wont throw mindless accusations and mockery at others for their beliefs. May whoever you believes bless you , bless you But i will stay with my God all the best -Ade

• Ade
    Ade

This allowed Moses ( who was constantly in communication with God ) to present the commandments with some modification and updating of the situation in light of their pending entrance into the land of Canaan, Oh, that explains it. Sounds like something I would hear from the FDS regarding changing doctrine. interstingly no you wouldnt hear this from the FDS , because there was no "change of doctrine" and no commandment re-written / designed that conflicted with the other commandments. its fine for us to comment, but not without reading fully and acknowledging that upon which we comment. all the best -Ade

• VM44
    VM44

I am glad MM has started this thread, it points to something that needs to be pointed out.

Has The Watchtower ever tried to explain why there are TWO DIFFERENT sets of the TEN Commandments?

--VM44

• Mistah MOJO
    Mistah MOJO

DD, I had no idea what you're going on about. Typing is a bad way to play with someone becasue unless I throw in these odd faces everyhwere there is no way to communicate playfulness other than coming right out and saying "this is playfulness." I didn't understand your initial statements, and rushed through them because of it, and posted in a zany way. I think I understand now tho that you're talking about the entire Law, not just the Decalogue. However, both of these sets of the Decalogue are written about in Exodus as being exatly that: THE DECALOGUE. Not the remainder of all the hundreds of laws. Read the rwo accounts. Moses breaks one set then goes up and gets another set. There are two versions of the decalogue. As to my writngs, books, which one are you referring to? If you would be more specific than mere cryptic references I would understand more quickly and wouldnt have to rush past you. I don't have time to sit and puzzle over your cryptic statements. I'm almost always in a hurry when I am "here." So whatever you have to say, simply say it. Funny and clever is good, crytptic isnt becasue I'm not going to take the time it needs. I don't have it. No offense DD, plus you might also wish to view me as an opportuntiy to follow the Jesus you profess: show the fruit of patience, etc. Calm down DD, you're among friends. I'm not your enemy, though yes most of the time conservative Christians are very predictable. My apologies for thinking you were one of the predictable ones. Take care DD.

• Mistah MOJO
    Mistah MOJO

Hi Ade! Thank you for dropping in. However, having been an extremely conservative Christian minister (conservative theologically) I'm not in agreement with your explanation. It seems a bit forced as V pointed out. I will reread it much more carefully in a bit, as well as look up the verses. Sometimes that helps things become clearer, and if so then I will say so. Agree or disagree, I am very glad you stopped by and gave me something intelligent to consider. Thank you Ade! MM

• Mistah MOJO
    Mistah MOJO

Hi VM. These are some excellent responses all around. I agree, this is a good topic. I hope it continues. I'd love to see what Narkissos anmd Leolaia have to say. I was first confronted with the two decalogues about twenty five years ago reading the first volume of the Interpretaters Dictionaty of the Bible. It was my first exposure to a pro-JEDP wrticle. Previously I had taken care to protect my conservatism by reading only fundamentalist materials. Anyway, thanks for the input VM and I look forward to receiving your snail mail. MM

• Mistah MOJO
    Mistah MOJO

Hi Ade! Your wrote:

"The fact that the two accounts differ is an indication that one of the two is not a verbatim presentation of the decalouge as it was written by "the finger of God"on Mount Sinai ."
    Okay, so which one is the correct one, the one written by the finger of God? Unless we can know that, isn't it sort of confusing of God to have given us both the "verbatim" edition and the "heavily editorialized and non-verbation" edition? What purpose does it serve in the Divine Plan of The Ages (I love throwing that in!) to have both?

Most important, how could anyone know for certain whcih is which? The answer isn't, "Well, Jesus died for me and I'm free of the Law so none of this matters anyway" as some folks argue when they're stepping into water too deep for their galoshes. (That's not a sideways jab at you Ade)

I like the "Bible" a lot, I really do. As literature, there are marvelous stories to be found within it. Some of the best loved tales of all time are in the OT. There's a lot of ugliness and dreck too. I especially enjoy the 21st Century KJV to read and enjoy the Bible as great literature. I even find many portions of it VERY inspiring! The Bible demonstrates varying degrees of inspiration, varying from sublime (Just as Beethoven, Bach, Brahms) to the assinine (Much as the Butthole Surfers). To view it all as inerrant and infaiible, plenarily (fully) and verbally (right down to the details of each letter and word written) inspired leaves God looking rather like a rambling old man who WONT GET TO THE POINT! MM

• Ade
    Ade

Hi Mojo,
    point taken , and ive been more than jabbed at before lol , i agree "man" has had his mucky hands in the bible, i enjoyed the book "misquoting Jesus" by Ehrman , explaining in a simplistic fashion textual critiscm and adjustments made by man to the bible.I also love the bible and have a deep belief in God .At the end of the day for me, I dont profess to know everything/anything i just let my faith ( not men )guide me. the only way any of us will know whats what is when we leave this life behind and SEE what is what.

God bless you and yours
    Ade

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit