Racism: Lyman Swingle Once Said to Me. . .

by Pioneer Spit...oh, i mean Spirit 26 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Dune
    Dune

I was talking to this white "brother" once and he was telling me how a couple of years ago, black brothers were all the rage and that time is OVER and currently the rage is hispanic brothers. He said it in a kind of "i hope you dont feel too bad now that your magical black powers are gone" sort of way....Que?

When will these bigots realize that theres nothing inherently different between human beings? In the white women i've dated, i've realized that part of the "fun" is how forbidden its made out to be, all it does is fuel the attraction. When guys like Swingle say idiotic things like that, and when parents hide their daughters from me, what do you expect will happen when they go off to college or work in the cubicle next to me?

*shakes his head*

• SixofNine
    SixofNine
    I was talking to this white "brother" once and he was telling me how a couple of years ago, black brothers were all the rage and that time is OVER and currently the rage is hispanic brothers. He said it in a kind of "i hope you dont feel too bad now that your magical black powers are gone" sort of way....Que?

When will these bigots realize that theres nothing inherently different between human beings? In the white women i've dated, i've realized that part of the "fun" is how forbidden its made out to be, all it does is fuel the attraction. When guys like Swingle say idiotic things like that, and when parents hide their daughters from me, what do you expect will happen when they go off to college or work in the cubicle next to me?

I've given my daughter a tiny pendant ramekin of mayonaise to ward off the black man's mojo.

• juni
    juni

This mind thought is sooooooooo bad. It's hard for me to stomach it. Like I've said before, I don't care what color or ethnic group someone comes from if they are loving, respectful, honest people what does it matter. This ideology takes me back to the 1960's and the marches.

And coming from an "ANOINTED ONE"? More reason for me to not be a part of this elite organization!

Juni

• AlanF
    AlanF

Racism was rampant in the Watchtower organization in the early days, so it's not surprising that oldtimers like Swingle would be something of a racist. Russell himself held blacks in low esteem and even published an article explaining how, in God's due time, blacks would be cured of their malady by becoming white.

My own father, a Bethelite from 1938 to 1946 and a good friend of some of the present-day bigwigs in Bethel, was a bit of a racist. I'm not sure if it was because of his upbringing in a rural Oklahoma town or his sojourn in Bethel, but it always made me extremely uncomfortable.

I grew up in suburban Long Island, in an area of mixed race. The congregations I attended always seemed racially harmonious, except that when I began to be given more responsibilities I noticed that some white elders sometimes made some extremely unkind remarks about some fellow black elders. I then understood why I had vaguely perceived an underlying animosity between the elders of two congregations that shared the same Kingdom Hall. One was predominantly white and the other black. I ended up attending the mostly black congregation for reasons I won't go into, and I liked it better. I never perceived the sort of racial prejudice by the black JWs that I did with the white ones.

AlanF

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

I live in the Great White North.Never saw any black people growing up as a kid,except at assemblys or vacationing in the USA.We went to an assembly in Texas..The white kids called the black people N**gers behind thier backs..????.I was blown away..Couldnt believe my ears..Weren`t all JW`s God`s people?..I was so disgusted I played with only the black kids..LOL!!..I never heard any of the black parents tell thier kids "Don`t Play with Whitey"..LOL!!..OUTLAW

• DannyHaszard
  • sf
    sf

White Senile Old Farts who run the WATCHTOWER BOOK PUBLISHING CORPORATION FRONT, passed off as "the only true religion", known to its 'followers' as the FAITHFUL DISCREET SLAVE { LOL! }:

sKally

• Lady Liberty
    Lady Liberty

Just another thing that pisses me off!! And that is LOVE?? YUCK! Racism is found in some of the early literature. Why am I not suprised to still see it. Still some of the most wonderful people I have ever had the priveldge of calling friends were of color.

Sincerely,

Lady Liberty

• juni
    juni

You and me both LadyLiberty! Also, at work too. My boss is black and we had SO MUCH FUN!! It would be boring w/o all of the different races and cultures.

Juni

• DannyHaszard
    DannyHaszard

In all fairness the Watchtower will take ANYBODY'S money

alt

alt

Special Colporteur Bulletin from Winter 1928
    (with somewhat racist comments)

http://www.exjws.net/museum/colporteur.htm from here

This is a very interesting bulletin that reveals how much the Watchtower was a sales corporation and how the colporteurs (full-time traveling "pioneers") were to follow Rutherford's suggestions on how to get the last dime out of the householder.

These guys were like fuller brush salesmen, only much more aggressive! Especially read pages 9-11, which reveals their tactics, and talks about trading chickens, etc. for literature and how to keep perishables in the car, etc. On the latter part of page 9, it also contains this message:

"All the colporteurs recommend that the colored people not be overlooked. On this point the brother last quoted has a few very valuable suggestions.
    " 'If I find colored people in my work, I canvass them as they come. I usually inquire of them on the subject of employment. They are not the best territory, by any means, and some colporteurs who sell well skip the colored people as a rule. Inquiry as to employment will reveal that the colored people have employment somewhere the whole year round.' " alt ^Above-exploiting child labor^

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit