Are JWs Not Too Smart? Pros and Cons...

by Seeker4 28 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• kid-A
    kid-A

I can only comment on my congregation, but the vast majority were utterly dim-witted. There were 2-3 bright elders, one even had a degree, but the R+F were mostly

borderline literate, having read nothing beyond WTS propaganda their entire lives.

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

It would seem that the words smart, educated, and intelligent are not synonomous.

One can be intelligent but not smart (per Gary's example), educated but not intelligent, and certainly, smart and/or intelligent but not educated.

Smart dubs, whether intelligent or educated, leave.

• riverofdeceit
    riverofdeceit

First off, I would like to say that I was raised a JW so I can't speak for those who actually joined up by their own free will...

I think one of the most important factors people are missing is FEAR. Fear may not be what has gotten them in, but it is what keeps them there. And that fear can be of different things.

The fear of change. This isn't something exclusive to religion. It applies to all aspects of life. What if you leave and things don't work out?

Fear of losing family, friends.

Then there is the "what if" syndrome. What if they were really right? Am I not trusting in Jehovah with all my heart? Am I leaning upon my own understanding?.... blah blah.

I'm an atheist, so I could just cross of JW's from the question asked and throw in the name of any other religion. Clearly it would not be fair for me to ask that question because there are certainly smart people who have a belief in other religions as well. It was touched on by a few people, but to reiterate...If more rank and file jw's were aware of the Watchtowers background more eyes would be opened. But in order to do that, they would have to relenquish the fear of looking for the "truth about the truth" which is equated with inviting demons into their minds.

I have seen quite a number of threads questioning the intelligence of JW's in general. Though I find myself questioning the same thing sometimes, I realize that calling people stupid is surely not a way to get them to open up their minds. When you have the same shit pounded into your head continuously for 10, 15, 20, 30 years, it isn't easy to try and prove it all wrong. Even if you notice a few inconsistencies, you have to weigh the "pros and cons" of any decision you make regarding your sticking with your beliefs. >>>>> yes, I am rambling and haven't really focused my thoughts on the original question which I no longer remember in its entirety..plus it is 2:20am.

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

Yeah, some of 'em could stand to use some education. It makes me want to tear my hair out when I hear some of these ignorant Sunday study comments. There are smart people in my hall...but either they busy themselves with WTS busywork or they are just there because it's all they've ever known.

For example, I pointed out the "old light" on the official website to a friend (whom I would consider smarter than the average dub). I wasn't accused of apostasy. It just made him think. I can think of at least 20 other people who would've clammed up or accused me of apostasy, given the contradiction there.

I do okay in a couple of areas. Whatever intellectual prowess I once had was dulled considerably. But at least this much is true: when truth hits me in the face, I call a spade a spade. Labeling all apostate literature as horrible stuff just makes me want to check it out more. That's the only way you can find out. I remember it hurt at first to see bad stuff written about the society...but a spade is a spade.

• TheSilence
    TheSilence

My dad is one of the most, if not the most, intelligent people I know. He became a witness when I was 5 years old. It was not due to a lack of intelligence, it was based on emotions and ego.

He joined, I believe, because he knew it would upset his parents (devout Catholics) and he wanted to get back at them for grievances he perceived. His ego would never let him admit, even to himself, that he would convert religions simply to spite his parents... so he convinced himself that this was the truth and chose not to look any further than he had to.

The witnesses also appeal to the righteous martyrdom of his personality. My dad likes to believe he is the only one who is right, and he enjoys it being him against the world at large.

At this point he will never leave... because his ego will never allow him to admit that, after he stood up to so many people and gave up so much of his time and life, he was wrong.

The witnesses discourage critical thinking. It doesn't mean none of them are capable of it. It means that those who are choose not to utilize it. It's a choice, which in my opinion is worse than simply not being smart enough. I wish I could say my dad just wasn't smart enough, that he was duped. It would be much easier to forgive that way... but it was a choice. Unfortunately, some of the most intelligent people make some of the stupidest decisions for foolish reasons.

Oddly enough, of all things a quote from Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince comes to mind. Dumbledore says to Harry, "...as I have already proven to you, I make mistakes like the next man. In fact, being - forgive me - rather cleverer than most men, my mistakes tend to be correspondingly huger."

Jackie

• Room 215
    Room 215

Kudos to all participants; this thread is a candidate for one of the best-ever threads, certainly one for inclusion in Lady Lee's ``best of" categories.

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

I remember, Willyloman, how they used to say that reading the Awake! for 7 years was the equivalent of getting a college degree! What incredible self-praise - and self-delusion. It added to the totally unjustified air of superiority that the Witnesses cultivate. As we all know, the typical JW feels he's superior in so many ways to the "worldly" people around him, which aids the WTS in keeping Witnesses isolated.

But as so many have commented here, self-delusion and eschewing critical thinking are vital for one to remain a JW. One other positive thing about the Internet is that you can also learn critical thinking skills from it.

S4

• TheSilence
    TheSilence
    they used to say that reading the Awake! for 7 years ; was the equivalent of getting a college degree

One of the biggest reasons for my parents divorce: My mom wanted me to go to college; my dad refused to pay for it... he felt I already had.

Jackie

• minimus
    minimus

Seeker, I agree with your sentiments. To get a fair answer to your question, ask, "Are Cultists Not Too Smart?".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit