Happy Heretic, Freethinker, Apostate - How do you see yourself?

by Seeker4 20 Replies latest jw friends

• RichieRich
    RichieRich

Somewhere between AntiJW Activist and Apostate.

I scare the crap out of witnesses still, os i have some powers...

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Well after I found out I was in a cult and brainwashed so I started doing research like crazy, the Bible shown to be a myth further changed my thinking, durring this time i was trying all sorts of psychodelics to get behind all the brainwashing, little did i realize how much i was brainwashed from a little child, going to school and being taught to Pledge Alligence, Prayer in School(Christian brainwashing courtesy of the State).

I feel enlightened to a degree just by the fact I can recognize the amount of brainwashing that I have over the last couple of years. I think I see why the governments are against these psychodelic drugs one of the reasons being they make you question authority.

So I see myself as an aspireing free thinker, I'v only probably just touch the surface. I also aspire to be more creative and not to be stuck in a rut of arbitrary concepts which have a tendency to make you old and set in your ways.

• okie46
    okie46

I am not sure yet, I am still coming out of my cocoon... For right now, I see myself as a an independent, freethinker who is less and less afraid all the time to try and experience new things and new beliefs, I am beginning to realize how brainwashed I was. I do believe in Live and Let Live and in trying to see the best in everyone if at all possible.

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

It's sort of funny, but I think I've also gotten more creative, rebellious and less conservative the older I get. Sort of living my life in reverse!
    As I tell my co-workers, everyone has to grow older, but you can remain immature forever!
    S4

• Jankyn
    Jankyn

Good question, Seeker 4--I'd steal your name and say I'm a seeker. I lean toward free thought, mainly because I value science and logic so much. But I also recognize a great amount of evidence that something exists beyond the physical realm, even if it can't be empirically proven (yet).

I've recently started looking into Buddhism, mostly b/c I'm interested in a way of life rather than a doctrine, and peace of mind is attractive to me.

BTW, have the leaves started changing yet? I miss VT most in the fall. And not at all in the winter, because I'm too old to enjoy shoveling snow.

Jankyn

• KW13
    KW13

free without ties to anything, a person, individual with my own opinions that i like to share with people who also share theirs!

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

Jankyn,
    Good to hear from you. The leaves haven't started turning yet, but we went from 100 degree weather two weeks ago to very much fall-like weather now, with warm, sunny days and temps at night that have hit the 30s! This is my favorite time of year. Late August through October is wonderful here.

And funny, don't you think, that I should have missed using seeker to describe myself??

I've read a lot in Buddhism and Taoism, and I agree that a way of life is to be preferred over a religion. You can also be an atheist and still practice these, which appeals to me.

I'm definitely lacking some peace of mind in my life right now, and could use some calming influences. I start a week's vacation this weekend, and I can really use it!
    S4

• jgnat
    jgnat

You know how I hate labels, but I'll try this one on for size: Skeptical Christian.

• acadian
    acadian

Just a man, who wants to live in peace, nothing more, nothing less...

• the dreamer dreaming
    the dreamer dreaming

I am basically a zen agnostic pragmatic pan-me-istic skeptic .(^_^).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit