What did he really find in 1919?

by Fatfreek 9 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Fatfreek
    Fatfreek

It's been awhile since I've been out but I seem to recall that Jesus returned to his temple in 1919 (or 1918?) and at that time, the most reliable servant he could entrust with his belongings were those embodied by those under Rutherford's watchful eye.

At that time he found them immersed in pyramidology, they believed in the cross, and a list of other teachings they would rather leave buried ("damn that internet!").

If Jesus had, in fact, returned at that time, what else would he have found?

Fats
    of the "The Watchtower's worst enemy is its own words" class

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Don Cameron's book "Captives of a Concept" has a great discussion of just that subject.

• Fatfreek
    Fatfreek

Thanks, Nathan. One reviewer of the book put it this way:

For example, the organization had proclaimed that Jesus had returned invisibly in 1874 up until 1943, when the date changed to 1914. Even their own publications refer to this change of dates. The book continues by describing 48 teachings that have changed since "Jesus appointed the Watchtower Society as God's organization. " If Jesus really had selected the Watchtower on the basis of their teaching down till 1919, then He would be very upset that they have subsequently changed all those 48 teachings since.

Fats

• TopHat
    TopHat

Yes, fatfreek, but you know the WTS will say that it was Jesus WHO CHANGED the 48 teachings...

• VM44
    VM44

What did he really find in 1919?

That "Judge" Rutherford was in charge of the Bible Students!

Seriously, I think this is the real reason. Rutherford thought he was the one chosen to receive instruction conveyed to him directly from Jehovah by angels.

His ego was big enough to believe this.

People around him, such as Bethel factory manager Robert J. Martin, were likening him to King David in print.

The reality was that "Judge for 4 Days" Rutherford, the World's Greatest Bible Scholar, was simply a humbug!

--VM44

• bennyk
    bennyk

In 1919, the Watch Tower Society was teaching:

The Republics would collapse in "anarchy" in 1920.

The Great Company (as the secondary heavenly Class) would ascend to Heaven in 1921 ("close of the Heavenly Way").

Pastor Russell (AKA the "Faithful and Wise Servant") was directing the harvest work from Heaven, having been resurrected at his death on 31. October, 1916.

"Millions now living [in 1919] will never die." (NOTE: Although the booklet was released in 1920, the phrase was first used by Rutherford in a talk given in Spring, 1918. This continued to be the basis of the WTS' message until at least 1925, and the phrase appears prominently on the cover of my 1925 copy of the book "Harp of God".

Natural Israel would soon be returned to favour under the New Covenant [Christians were not considered to be in the New Covenant until several years later.]

The "Ancient Worthies" would be resurrected and assume goverance of the the Earth in 1925, when the Millenium would begin.

• lawrence
    lawrence

He found Shoeless Joe Jackson and the 1919 World Series between the Chicago White Sox and the Cincinnati Reds. He also found a drunken "Judge" proclaiming himself as Ezekiel-Reborn wielding the Recorder's Inkhorn.

• Fatfreek
    Fatfreek

Hmmm ... I just got back from Reexamine.org. There is a precious download page (actually, 23 pages) with some great stuff, much of it old.

I tried to download "Our Lord's Return", the only publication listed there from 1919 but got the "can't find" (or such) message.

That said, it is still a great site and a good replacement for our friend Quotes. I have more questions about that site and if anyone knows the administrator, would you please have him PM me? I understand that person may not wish to divulge identity (for obvious reasons) so perhaps you can choose some in-between member on this forum and have that person serve as mediator for our email exchanges.

Fats

• headmath
    headmath

excellent thread

That makes so much sense. The WTS date of 1919 is some load of BS. Jesus evidently returned to his former position the day he was resurrected

• Cameron
    Cameron

The main point I try to make in "Captives of a Concept" is that according to the "Proclaimers of God's Kingdom" book, (1) there is no possible way the Society could have passed a 'food-at-the-proper-time' examination by Jesus Christ in 1919 which they say was based upon what they had been teaching down till 1919. (2) And therefore, there is no possible way they could have received that appointment mentioned in verse 47 - and therefore, based on their own interpretation of Matthew 24:45-47, there is no possible way the Society could be God's organization today.

Ray Franz expressed it this way: "It would be an insult to Christ Jesus to say that he selected the Watchtower Society on the basis of what it had been teaching as of 1919."

Don

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit