WHAT WOULD IT TAKE TO STOP SHUNNING?

by Mary 43 Replies latest jw friends

• oldflame
    oldflame
    "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances."
    Sorry Mary, they're not going to make a law to fix the Borg.

Unfortunantly I have to agree with this. I have a very dear friend who is suffering their loss of grandchildren, children and a wife from shunning. The scriptures say forgive and forget the same as you pray for your father to forgive and if you cannot forgive then the father can not forgive you. Wow how much love do we see from the Jehovahs Witnesses ? I see none ! ZILCH ! They are the most evil bunch of people I have ever met and they think that they got a free ride to the promise land ? C'mon who's heads are they trying to pass this over onto ? It makes me sick to see so many families broken because of shunning. It is not an action I believe that our Lord Jesus would have done.

There was a time when I could deal with a witness but today after reading all the horror stories and seeing my own friends hurt by this action I have become bitter. I don't like to be a bitter person and would do just about anything for anyone in need. But I am afraid that when the next witness comes to me with their bullshit I will unload on them. People don't like me when I get angry because I can get mean as hell. So I suggest for all you JW spies out there reading my post better put the message out "Stay away" "Bad DOG"

• IW
    IW

Oldflame,

But I am afraid that when the next witness comes to me with their bullshit I will unload on them. People don't like me when I get angry because I can get mean as hell.

I hope you're not talking about the next Witness who knocks on your door because they most likely have nothing to do with the Watchtower dogma or regulations. If you are, though, please don't take out your anger on innocent people.

IW

• Scully
    Scully

Mary,

I'm of the opinion that any discriminatory action - which is what shunning is - against an individual on the basis of their race, religion (or lack thereof), nationality, or any other characteristic that is protected by the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms is a violation of that individual's rights under the Charter.

What really chaps my backside is the fact that the WTS, in its quest for securing religious rights and freedoms for itself, flatly ignores the fact that the Charter protects the rights of INDIVIDUALS not ORGANIZATIONS, and denies those very rights of free exercise of belief / faith / worship to people by way of this coercive tactic of shunning and social exclusion.

If the WTS were to have their Charitable Status revoked on the basis of these violations of the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, it would sure get them to re-think their position on shunning.

• Athanasius
    Athanasius

Government interference in the Watchtower's shunning policy will only bring cries of persecution by the GB and may even strengthen their hold on the rank and file. Bad publicity and economic pressure are still the best methods to use against the Watchtower corporation. Keep in mind that the Watchtower is not really a religion but a publishing house, a business. Therefore, if bad PR affects the bottom line, the business must make positive changes to get back their share of the market.

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik

If a cross shouldn't matter, then don't let it matter.
    Leave "religion" out of it and just LOVE those kids.

• betterdaze
    betterdaze

What about minor children who are baptized, some as young as 8 or 9? What happens if they get disfellowshipped as a teen?
    Sure, parents must provide food and shelter. But how can parents shun kids in their own homes? It must be like the silent treatment on acid. Does it not constitute emotional abuse or willful neglect?
    ~Sue

• oldflame
    oldflame
    I hope you're not talking about the next Witness who knocks on your door because they most likely have nothing to do with the Watchtower dogma or regulations. If you are, though, please don't take out your anger on innocent people.

You have no clue !

• sspo
    sspo

It will stop when few members are coming in and it's happening right now. Few interested ones in the field.only ones it seems are the children getting baptized.

The GB will receive new light from heaven and start toward becoming more like a mainstream religion.

In the meantime let's not hold our breath.

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

literally put themselves in place of God
    Until all JWs realize that it probably will not change.

• Mary
    Mary
    Scully said: I'm of the opinion that any discriminatory action - which is what shunning is - against an individual on the basis of their race, religion (or lack thereof), nationality, or any other characteristic that is protected by the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms is a violation of that individual's rights under the Charter.

Exactly, and you put that extremely well. Forced discrimination against someone because they do not want to practice a certain religion, is against their Rights under our Charter.......I think I'm going to look into this a bit more.

If the WTS were to have their Charitable Status revoked on the basis of these violations of the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, it would sure get them to re-think their position on shunning.

Hmmmm.....I think I'm really going to look into this further. Of course, they'd scream "Satan's persecuting us!" loud and long, but if the newspapers, like the Toronto Star did a really long article exposing what their practice of shunning does to the family unit, they would get NO sympathy from the public. And just as public exposure has forced them to re-think their pathetic rules on protecting pedophiles, perhaps more public exposure would make them re-think their disgusting rules on breaking up families when someone doesn't agree with their "new light".

I will never forget Putternut, who took his own life earlier this year I believe. While the circumstances may have been multi-faceted, there is no doubt that part of his depression came from being shunned by his own children because of this screwed up religion.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit