What one thing reminds you most of being a Witness?

by free2beme 27 Replies latest jw friends

• free2beme
    free2beme

The mind is full of all kinds of things that can trigger memories. It could be the taste of a certain spice that reminds you of a now passed relative who liked to cook. It could be the smell of a perfume or cologne, that reminds you of a lover you once could not live without. It might be the image of a pattern on a couch that reminds you of a place you used to visit on a regular basis. In any sense, there are always things in life that tend to remind us of things, people or places with the snap of their presence in to our day. For me, there are a few things that remind me of being a Witness at a moments notice, but more so then others, there is one thing that will bring up a Witness memory faster then any others. That thing is Juicy Fruit gum, as my mother always gave us this gum when we were children at the Kingdom Hall. It was always in her purse and for some reason we only chewed it at the Kingdom Hall. For along time, I thought she was picking it up with the magazines and just bringing it to us afterwards to chew. In any case, if I see it to this day in that yellow rapper in the check out line or someone is chewing it near me, or if I have a piece of it myself, I am instantly brought back to those childhood days of sitting in the Kingdom Halls. Even if I never think of one Witness even in my entire month, week, or day, and almost forget it ever happened, this one thing always takes me back there to all those long ago memories. How about you, is there a one thing that does something like this to you, when it comes to bringing up the Witness time?

• mama1119
    mama1119

Oddly enough, the smell of public bathrooms...it reminds me of standing in endles lines at the convention and that horrible pee-poop-diaper-hairspray-cleaner smell you had to wait through.

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Putting on a suit, especially tying the tie. I almost never have occasion to wear a tie anymore, but everytime I have to tie one on it takes me right back. Usually I just try to laugh it off and I'll break out into a kingdom melody sung in my best opera-voice, which isn't good but I guess I entertain myself anyway.

• Bryan
    Bryan

Any time I see the number 144, especially in the stock markets.

Bryan

• LuciousJ
    LuciousJ

cherries........when we still had 4-day conventions, we went to a place in Washington (the old Capital Center, now called US Air Arena) and they sold fruit by the bags. We always had tons of them in our cooler and cherries were the ones I remember the most because I'd chew them up and then see how far I could spit the seeds from the nosebleed section during the drama (which was also when the lights used to be turned out). I never liked cherries, and I STILL don't. Everytime I see a bag, I want to buy them just so I can go by the KH & spit them on their parking lot..................

cherries.......that's my 'memory trigger'-

LuciousJ

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

Ankle length skirts and crewneck shirts on women. I purposely dressed this way all the time although it wasn't my style.

• damselfly
    damselfly

Nylons. I refuse to wear them now.
    Extra gum.
    Cheap ink and glue.

Dams

• frozen one
    frozen one

I had the oddest sensation this afternoon. I was at a party for a friend and she asked me to help get more chairs for guests. I opened the door to the closet to get the chairs and they were metal folding chairs just like the ones a long ago congregation had. For a second I was a little kid helping set up chairs at that hall for an unusually large Sunday morning meeting. Funny what will set off a flashback.

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

lol @ free2beme:

My mom bought wrigley's juicy fruit gum to every meeting when I was a kid too. And her sister, brought wrigley's spearmint gum. We would usually get a stick of each. One for the talk and one for the watchtower. I realize now it was to shut us up and give us something to chew on since the spiritual food was so unpalatable to small children. I was so upset when all the talks came out telling us we couldn't chew gum at the meetings anymore. It was like the end of an era! Well, it would have been if I had obeyed it. I never stopped chewing gum at the meetings and I always gave my kid lifesavers to get through the assembly. One pack for the morning, one pack for the afternoon. How else is a little kid supposed to sit still for 6 hours? I didn't obey the vending machine rules either. (I can't believe the attendandants where Gary Bussey lives! I've never met anyone that rude here.) I guess I always was an independent (apostate) thinker at heart!

Cog

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

fourteen minutes past seven in the evening . . .

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit