Is it me, or is this as tacky as it comes?

by Icansaylucky 17 Replies latest jw experiences

• undercover
    undercover
    Please send contributions c/o of So and So for the Kingdom Hall builing Fund.

I'm gonna look at this from another angle...

I've known other people to ask for contributions to cancer socities, prevent cruelty against animal funds, schools and assorted other charites and churches in lieu of flowers when a family member dies.

While I personally would not donate in their name to anything WT related, I can understand why a true believer in the JWs would consider doing this. To them it's just a donation to the deceased's favorite charity.

Technically, it's no different than asking them to donate to the animal shelter if the deceased had been a life long proponent of helping animals. If you think asking for donations to PETA or the local animal shelter is tacky then I guess this would be tacky as well.

• minimus
    minimus

But when no mention of family is made, then it is just plain weird.

• Icansaylucky
    Icansaylucky

Oh Wonderwoman, that makes me sick. I've never seen a more clueless group of people in my life. They are completely socially retarded. I'm sure Brother Dickhead counted his time as well. Sick sick sick.

• Icansaylucky
    Icansaylucky

I realize that the family puts it in, that's why I think it's tacky. They are Witnesses. I mentioned also that it may even have been the deceased (who was an Elder) request, I still think it was in poor taste. In fact the address given for the contributions to be sent to was to his daughter and Son in Law's house who also is an Elder.

• karen96
    karen96

Interesting that it's sent to the daughter's house, not the KH or PO Box. Maybe that way she can look good handing all these monies in for a hall they so desperately need!

Karen

• Icansaylucky
    Icansaylucky

Undercover,
    Usually when they ask for contributions to any Charity, they also mention that he had a wife of 50 years and 4 wonderful children and 6 fantastic grandchildren. They actually name them for that personal touch.

I haven't researched any of the Charitys that you've mentioned as to whether they are non profit organizations or not, but we've already established that the Witnesses are loaded, why don't they fund their own Kingdom Halls instead of asking for money in a obit.

• undercover
    undercover
    Usually when they ask for contributions to any Charity, they also mention that he had a wife of 50 years and 4 wonderful children and 6 fantastic grandchildren. They actually name them for that personal touch.

I haven't seen the acutal obit, but I do know that some obits are quite short and to the point. I don't know if people are charged by the word or line, but some people prefer to keep them short and sweet. Remember, JWs are a different breed when it comes to death. They don't treat it the same as non-JWs. Most average JW obits are never really all that informative, that I've experienced. On the other hand I've seen some real doozys from other people outside of the organization. Every single living and deceased relative mentioned, ex-wives listed, the family pet mentioned by name. Talk about tacky.

I haven't researched any of the Charitys that you've mentioned as to whether they are non profit organizations or not, but we've already established that the Witnesses are loaded, why don't they fund their own Kingdom Halls instead of asking for money in a obit.

Whether the WTS is loaded or not is beside the point. The deceased and/or the family prefers that donations be made to their favorite charity instead of sending flowers. What's so wrong in that? Just because we don't support the charity they have chosen to support doesn't make them anymore tacky than someone else who asks that money go to the United Way.

Don't get me wrong, you won't catch me giving money to the KH fund or any other WT fund of any kind. There are other charities that I avoid giving to for various reasons, but if others believe in them, that's their perogative and right. As long as the family isn't insulted when I decline to donate and send flowers instead, it's all good with me.

• garybuss
    garybuss

Here I've noticed the only relatives mentioned in obituaries are practicing Witnesses. I just saw this last week when my last living aunt died. The other thing that's nice is the obituaries are run in the paper a week or more AFTER the funeral or "memorial service".
    That way the only people to arrive at the service are those invited personally.
    I don't appreciate the way Jehovah's Witnesses have treated me and my family and people important to me. I can't see any point in going out of my way to be snubbed by someone I don't like.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit