Carbon-dating questions??

by DATA-DOG 16 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

I recently heard a story from a JW about stupid scientists. There was an Awake article about archeaologist who found an ancient piece of art. It was sent to a University for dating. In the end, it was a rock that a local artist had used to paint traditional cave-style pictures.

The lesson of the story was how inaccurate carbon dating was, and how scientists are biased. ( Remember that I am in a room full of dubs.)

Have you heard of this story? Also, can you recommend some videos on various dating methods? Is there a series of videos for dummies?

I know the WTBTS is biased and has no issue with selective quoting, or misquotes, or twisting the context, or even lying. I would like to be better educated on the subject.

DD

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Here is a blurb from the Georgia State University Department of Physics and Astronomy:

Carbon dating is a variety of radioactive dating which is applicable only to matter which was once living and presumed to be in equilibrium with the atmosphere, taking in carbon dioxide from the air for photosynthesis.

So unless an "ancient piece of art" was once alive, no archaeologist would try to date it with this method.

This sounds like another JW legend right up there with talking Smurfs.

Remember: What passes for "science" in JW-land is pretty much not. Whaddya expect from a bunch of uneducated yahoos talking about things they don't understand?

Click here for an overview of radioactive dating methods.

• blondie
    blondie

*** g91 9/22 p. 29 Watching the World ***

Embarrassing Dating Error

Eleven years ago, an artistic South African grandmother, Joan Ahrens, produced some fine paintings using rocks as her canvases, imitating traditional Bushman art. Later, one of her painted rocks was picked up in the veld near her former home in the city of Pietermaritzburg. Eventually it got into the hands of the curator of the city’s museum. Unaware of the origin of this rock art, the curator had it dated in England by the Oxford University radio carbon accelerator unit. Experts estimated that the painting was 1,200 years old! Why such an embarrassing error? “It has since been established,” according to a report in South Africa’s Sunday Times, “that the oil paint used by Mrs Ahrens contained natural oils which contained carbon—the only substance dated by Oxford.”

• FreeGirl2006
    FreeGirl2006

Blondie,
    You have mad skills when it comes to research!

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Thanks, Blondie! You are awesome!

So I believe the WTBTS "reasoning" is this: An ancient cave painting may not be ancient, or at least not hundreds of thousands of years old. The materials, the canvass (rock), paint ( made from oils ) may be ancient, but not the artist.

For instance, what if I found a 100 year old barn, and made a bed from the wood. Is my bed 100 years old? What if the trees that made the barn were 400 years old?

How would a scientist 200 years from now determine the age of my bed?

DD

• Half banana
    Half banana
    DD, by dendrochronology to determine the age of the timber and stylistically for the period in which the timber was used for making the bed.
  • DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

So if the "style" is unknown, all we can do is date the material.

DD

• Kanon
    Kanon
    From what I have read dating rock paintings is a lot more difficult, there are methods but I don't know how accurate they are.
  • Crazyguy
    Crazyguy
    Dating techniques are frustrating because they seem to never be in agreement, which makes the validity of the science open for attack. I wish they could come up with a way to be consistently accurate so we can put to bed some of these wacky beliefs.
  • Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

It should be accepted that since most JWs are not well educated on certain matters, particular on in-depth science, they learn from what they read off the pages of the Watchtower rather than do an honest open investigation to certain topics.

There are many technics that archaeologists use to date in age when evaluating objects.

For example .....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit