Appearing Now at Bethel!

by AuntieJane 20 Replies latest jw friends

• AuntieJane
    AuntieJane

Ok, I didn't know what to title this subject. But ...my question is: Exactly what does one

do when they go to Bethel? Specifically, how long is the stay? Is it like a 6 week course?

Are there classes all day long? My relative is going to go but I can't get any answer as to

just what he'll be doing, or for how long. Would like hear from any of you with recent experience.

Oh and what does it cost?

• What-A-Coincidence
    What-A-Coincidence

1st year is your probation. 1 year daily bible reading, 6 month bethel entrants school and lectures.

If you pass your 1 year review, you get to stay.

Some go to bethel as temporary workers. 6 months or 1 year.

Bethelites usually start off in the cleaning dept

It costs the bethelite nothing to stay except his freedom. They pay about 110 dollras every month. free room and board. the only billls you pay are the telephone bill, car insurance, and stuff you might get out of the commisarry (7-eleven).

more later

• daniel-p
    daniel-p
    Bethelites usually start off in the cleaning dept

Or construction, waiter crew, kitchen, laundry, bldg maintenence, etc. Basically, there is a big difference between temporary Bethelites (who arn't even really considered Bethelites) and permanent Bethelites. In any case, you have no control of where you work or what you do, you have a very restrictive schedule (morning worship, work, meetings, sleep. repeat 6 days a week), and no means of making money unless you get in with some people with connections who do "g-jobs" which are basically work outside of Bethel and nearly always paid under the table.
    Your first year at Bethel is under high scrutiny because your overseers are trying to decide if they want to reccomend you for staying and becoming a permanent "permanent" Bethelite, whereas before you were considered only slightly permanent, since it was your first year. Temps are treated completely differently, and usually room with other temps in an outlying building. An old saying was: "Kill a temp., save a Bethelite" or something like that. Basically it just refers to temporary Bethelites getting the shit jobs like digging trenches on the construction crew regardless of their abilities. I knew architects who volunteered for a few weeks or months at a time and got assigned to digging holes and trenches.

Seniority is everything, and I mean everything. It doesnt matter if the 20-year-old sheltered bafoon from West Virginia doesn't have shit for brains - if he has been at Bethel longer than you, you have to obey him and not even propose alternate techniques for doing the job. The oversight at Bethel prides itself in supporting these tactics. The idea is that this process shows them what you are made of - basically if you can take orders and perform well without asking any questions. This is what they look for, and this is what will make you an outstanding and well-respected Bethelite, if you can mindlessly obey orders and never question authority under any circumstances. If you do anything less, it will subject you to suspicion, or be seen as having an "attitude problem."

I spent over a year at Bethel (not as long as many on this board) at Wallkill, in the US. I loved it at the time, but knew I couldn't last. I'm not the type than can do any job - I have to enjoy what I do. I also am a very ethical person, and many things that happened or that I heard about at Bethel troubled me greatly. Living as a Bethelite helped me see a lot of the hypocrisy even among the highest ranks of the organization, and for that I am thankful.

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

what he /\ said

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep
    Exactly what does one do when they go to Bethel?

Leave?

• Honesty
    Honesty
    Exactly what does one do when they go to Bethel?

Receive a better brainwashing.

• AuntieJane
    AuntieJane

Thx for the info..what-A & daniel p. Look forward to hearing more. I'm going to try to communicate w.

my niece about it. She is only 20 yoa; her brother went and I guess she is considering it now. So...

doubt I'll make any dent but I have to give it an effort, it's a conscience thang ya know?

Say Daniel, your bio and posts are interesting, you've come a long way. how is your wife doing w.

the situation now? do you have any kids?

• Mistah MOJO
    Mistah MOJO

An old saying was: "Kill a temp., save a Bethelite" or something like that. Basically it just refers to temporary Bethelites getting the shit jobs like digging trenches on the construction crew regardless of their abilities. I knew architects who volunteered for a few weeks or months at a time and got assigned to digging holes and trenches.

(Is there not ANY aspect of this organization that isn't bizarre, ass-backward. hateful, irrational, unreasonable, stupid, blind, mindless and disturbed? Jesus H. Christ!)

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Bethel (which means "house of God") is the name the WTB&TS has given their dormitory for factory workers. Most of the workers in the factory are volunteers who take a religious vow of poverty and receive in return for their labor food, shelter, approximately $110 a month for personal expenses, like subway and bus fare to their assigned congregations throughout the NY metropolitan area, and the fine uplifting association with geezers who have been in for so long they can't remember what sunshine feels like.

So what do Bethelites DO at Bethel? They live there and they work there. Bethelites attend the regular 5 weekly JW meetings, plus a few extra meetings to use up all that spare time they have. Life in Bethel is run by the bell - a bell starts the day, tells you when meals begin and end, etc. It's an idyllic life for post prefrontal lobotomy patients.

• Phil
    Phil

THIs is a subject that appeals to me as my daughter is in there and I would like to know what is going on in her life. Instead , I am getting the word of a lit of bitter people relieving their anxioties. Are there any people out there that can give an unbios description of what goes on. Blondie where are you? You seem to be the one of the most informative people on this thread. I am desperate for some solid info on what goes on in the world of the Bethelites at Paterson,NY.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit