What if JWs Viewed Disfellowshipping and Excommunication as Radical Islamists Do?

by Oubliette 19 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

I found this statement from a recent article about ISIS to be quite interesting in view of the way that any JW can be accused of apostasy with little or no possible repercussions or consequences for the accuser:

In Islam, the practice of takfir, or excommunication, is theologically perilous. “If a man says to his brother, ‘You are an infidel,’ ” the Prophet said, “then one of them is right.” If the accuser is wrong, he himself has committed apostasy by making a false accusation. The punishment for apostasy is death.

Imagine if JWs had THIS policy in place? It would make a lot of elders think twice before accusing or even insinuating that a person was guilty of apostasy.

• violias
    violias

The WTS has said in print and in their congos' that in the nation of Israel DF'd people would be stoned to death ( or some other horrible death) but the law of the land prevents them from taking this action in our time. It is one of the most despicable things the wts ever says and is usually accompanied by using the scripture about the dog returning to the vomit.

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Proverbs+26:11

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capital_and_corporal_punishment_in_Judaism

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

I agree with violias, the WTS and islamists aren't too dissimilar on their views on apostasy. The only difference is the WTS eagerly awaits the killing of apostates by God at Armageddon.

The punishment for apostasy is death - this isn't restricted to terrorists. It has widespread support across the Muslim World.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

violias:

"The WTS has said in print and in their congos' that in the nation of Israel DF'd people would be stoned to death ( or some other horrible death) but the law of the land prevents them from taking this action in our time."

I was told that in my judicial committee. Specifically, "If you were in Israel you would be stoned."

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

The ancient Hebrews used to stone to death apostates within their civilization.

Quite a common thing actually, any person who presented opposition to the ruling directives of the high priests (Seers) or King/Emperors of many ancient civilizations, would usually result in that person being killed.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

VI: I was told that in my judicial committee. Specifically, "If you were in Israel you would be stoned."

Me too.

I told the elder in response, "Well then, I guess it's a good thing for me that we're Christians!"

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Perhaps I didn't set up the OP correctly. I was trying to focus on the fact per this Islamic principal there are consequences for false and even baseless accusations of apostasy.

• violias
    violias

Well Oub, I do know that if you accuse your brother wrongly there are consequences. That is slander and is often this threat used to silence victims of child molestation and rape. It is used to force them to forgive the prep or else they will be just as guilty.

I am not sure with apostasy if there is any real consequences to reporting your suspicions to an elder- unless the person you report is well liked and has lots of friends. In that case you could be accused of slander or lying and possibly DF'd.

• JWCart
    JWCart

I read magazines dating back to the 1950s or 1960s showing how they wish they could stone doubters and anyone who makes logical arguments demonstrating they don't have their ducks in a row.

I think Jehovah's Witnesses are one of the most non-physical violent, if not the most, hateful religion in the World. I base my views on many years of seeing Witnesses vying for prominence like someone in corporate America climbs over the heads of anyone in their path to the top. Jehovah's Witnesses will stab their fellow Ministerial Servants, Elders in the back if it get's them the desired outcome. Ms Ob, your very smart to think how they would behave like ISIS if given the legal opportunity to stone their fellows to death!

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

I wonder.... I'm sure the deluded leaders may kill someone if they could, but would the R&F really do it? Can you even imagine casting the first stone?

Although allowing your child to die by following the WTBTS's blood interpretation is terrible, most JWs don't see it as killing their child. An accident or disease is some outside force that just happens to their child. Then they do the best they can while obeying God.

I don't agree with what they do, but I don't think most R&F could kill.

DD

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit