Fictional representations of Jehovah's Witnesses

by slimboyfat 22 Replies latest jw friends

• Mamacat
    Mamacat

There was an episode of Law & Order SVU called Rooftop where a suspect refused to have his blood drawn for a DNA test and said it was because he was a jw. The detectives asked him to prove it, but the M.E. said that so long as he said it, she had to take his word for it and couldn't do the test.

I didn't know that jw's would against a DNA test, and of course, the guy was just saying that to get out of taking one for what it would prove.

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

April 29, 1965. Reverence for Life, an episode of Dr. Kildare, a very popular TV drama with Richard Chamberlain.

I remember this very well. It starred Dennis Weaver (Chester of Gunsmoke) as a JW whose wife needs a blood transfusion. After all the agony of indecision, he hoped that the court and the doctors would take it out of his hands. They did and it was a happy ending, though the last close of up of Dennis left you feeling that his relief was overshadowed by guilt.

As witnoids, we were incensed by this portrayal.

• itsallgoodnow
    itsallgoodnow

there was an episode of scrubs where a JW lady needed a blood transfusion and refused it. the doctor was disgusted and the nurse was soft on the JW lady and the point was the doctor needed to learn to deal with stupid patients and treat them with care even if they were stupid. I think. I only saw a few parts of it.

another scrubs episode one of the main characters made a JW joke and it fell flat with the other character because his mom was a JW. It was a foot in mouth sort of joke.

Who knows, maybe someone on the writing for that show has some experience with JWs.

• limbogirl
    limbogirl

just remembered...I've read most of Tom Robbins' novels -- Still Life with Woodpecker, Jitterbug Perfume, Another Roadside Attraction, etc and most of them reference Jehovah and one (if not more) definitely reference Jehovah's Witnesses. I seem to recall a line where he says something to the effect of only cockroaches and jehovah's witnesses will survive a nuclear war -- referring to their relentlessness not necessarily that they have "the truth". anyway, it's been awhile since I've read these books but they are loaded with religious reference. I'll think I'll dust these off and re-read them!

• earthtone
    earthtone

The movie Friday... it was hilarious!

• DannyHaszard
    DannyHaszard

Check this out this just went up on the wires

Fidel Castro's "Surgery" Never Happened
    Associated Content, CO - 2 hours ago
    ... Comrade President Chavez, himself a repeated target of a rogue cell of Jehovah’s Witnesses assassins operating under diplomatic immunity, learned of this ...
  • serendipity
    serendipity

How about the SNL land shark skit.

• Mulan
    Mulan

there was a novel by the author of all the police novels that had a JW character, the wife of one of the officers. I cannot remember the name of the author, but two of his books are The Onion Field and Chiefs. Also don't know which book had the JW character. My hubby read it.

There were a couple of Golden Girls episodes that poked fun at JW's. On one of them, the girls were up in the middle of the night eating cheesecake and the doorbell rang. Dorothy said "it's probably Jehovah's witnesses on a coffee break". I was a JW when I saw that and thought it was hilarious.

• VM44
    VM44

Jehovah's Witnesses in Science Fiction. --VM44

http://www.adherents.com/lit/sf_jw.html

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee
    there was a novel by the author of all the police novels that had a JW character, the wife of one of the officers. I cannot remember the name of the author, but two of his books are The Onion Field and Chiefs.

Joseph Wambaugh.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit