electric cars

by peacefulpete 13 Replies latest jw friends

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

Hey all you tree huggers, any of you have experience with electric cars? I just bought a rather rare 1974 Zagato El Car 2000 in horrible condition for a restoration project. Picture of El car: alt

Anyone by chance ever work on similar old EV? I'm wanting to upgrade its performance while I'm at it. Top speed is 41kph! Wheel base is actually 1" wider than long!

• moshe
    moshe

An electric car makes a great commuter vehicle, IF you can plug it in at work!! I toyed with the idea of gettin one of those Zap two wheel electric scooters a few years ago- plugging it in a work for the recharge to drive 5 miles home.

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

That, is too cool. What a great project.

j

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

Wow! I'm envious!

I do not have any practical advice to offer... other than you might poke around the 'Yahoo groups' - there are a few 'electric' forums on there, I believe...
    Do a Google - see what you come up with...
    There are more modern 'switchers' (I believe that's the term) that use FETs - instead of 'chopper' type circuits (like they used back then).
    Of course... if it's a straight DC motor, you won't need to worry about any of that.
    Just be careful - the batteries may be lethal - the voltage may get a tad high... up in the hundreds of volts. I've personally seen a 72-volt system go into 'arc-welding' mode, when my voltmeter probes slipped... quite scary.
    Good Luck, and keep us posted on your progress.
    Regards,

Jim TX

• moshe
    moshe

some guys have went to AC motors and solidstate dc-ac drive controllers to get around the lack of parts/support for the old DC motors. it might be cheaper to do that if the motor turns out to be trash. batteries can be replaced- look to spend $1000 for them. if married, I hope you have an understanding wife. If you are lucky, it will only cost you $2000 to get this car back on the road- unlucky $5000-6000.

peace,

Moshe

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

Wow, what a tiny car!! Be careful.

• Midget-Sasquatch
    Midget-Sasquatch

That looks like a cool project. I was once toying with the idea of making a dead FIAT cinque cento all electric but it was over my head and beyond my funds, so I dropped it. I wish you though alot of fun during and after the restore.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

Well, the warnings are appreciated. I'm hoping it'll be enjoyable. I've done a couple project vehicles before but this was just so darn cute. Really its just a glorified golf cart but I hope perhaps my Dad can use it to commute.

• Highlander
    Highlander

Just be careful - the batteries may be lethal - the voltage may get a tad high... up in the hundreds of volts. I've personally seen a 72-volt system go into 'arc-welding' mode, when my voltmeter probes slipped... quite scary.

Agreed. In a pinch, you can even arc-weld with a 12 volt automotive battery. So just imagine what a 100+ volt battery could do to you. High Voltage DC is much more dangerous

than the AC counterpart, so be careful. Toyota 'lost' a couple of engineers due to electrocution while developing their hybrid vehicles.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

Well, I thought I might just update the thread. I began restoration and was nearly done when I got an offer to buy it I couldn't refuse. The new owner wrote me to tell me it is being driven on the NBC studio lot in Burbank. It even had a brief appearance on Jimmy Kimmel Live. Here it was when I sold it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit