10 rules of science and religion [?]

by chappy 11 Replies latest jw friends

• chappy
    chappy

1. Science eventually holds the answers to all the questions of life.
    2. Anyone who does not believe Rule 1 is not scientific.
    3. Any evidence for intelligent design of the universe is not
    scientific evidence.
    4. Any person who teaches there is evidence for intelligent design
    of the universe is not a scientist.
    5. Scientists know for a fact that matter is all there is.
    6. Anything which is not matter does not matter.
    7. Religion or religious impulse is the result of undesirable
    mutations in biological matter.
    8. Whatever is not science is religion.
    9. Only science should be taught.
    10. Stuff happens, but only by coincidence.

Is this accurate my scientific friends?

later,
    chappy

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

It's a pretty accurate description of the "emotional reasoning" of unscientific religionists.

"I wish to see, and I mean this most sincerely, I wish to see the last King strangled with the guts of the last Priest." - Voltaire
  • fodeja
    fodeja
    5. Scientists know for a fact that matter is all there is.

*LOL*

Get a clue. Please.

f.

• larc
    larc

Hi religious person,

I will try to answer some of your questions. Some in the list of ten are presented as couplets, so in some cases I will take them two at a time.

1. Science eventually holds the answers to all questions of life.

2. Anyone who does not believe Rule #1 is unscientific.

Your term "questions of life" is ambiguous. Are you referring to all questions that humans entertain in their head? The answer is no. Science can not address concepts that are beyond the natural world. Science does not say anything about whether there is a God or not, or whether there is some spiritual after life somewhere beyond our universe.

If your term "all questions of life" refers to the make up of life and it's history, then yes science is the only avenue for answering such questions.

3. Any evidence for intelligent design of the universe is not scientific evidence.

4. Any person who theaches there is evidence for intelligent design of the universe is not scientific.

Science can not answer the question as to whether there is or is not intelligent design. That is the realm of philosophy and religion. Science can give a relatively good explaination of when life began and how it evolved over time. Whether there is a designer behind it, can not be answered.

5. Scientists know tfor a fact that matter is all there is.

6. Anything that is not matter does not matter.

Energy also exists, but I am sure that that was not the thrust of your question. Science can not explore anything that someone posits to exist but can't be measured. If you tell me that you have an invisible soul, well that's nice and you can beleive it if you want, but it can't be proved or disproved. If you told me you had a past life, that can't be proved either. It is a nice, romantic notion but it is not subject to investigation. I suppose that is why religions are so varied and colorful. People can dream up all kinds of possibilities.

7. Religions or religious impulse is the result of undesirable mutations in biological matter.

I have never heard such a theory proposed by scientists. To get an understanding of what scientists say regarding religion, you should read an introductory text in Sociology and one in Social Psychology.

8. Whatever is not science is religion.

I assume you are asking this question as it relates to epistimology. Philosophy should be included as well, which is distinctly different than religion.

9. Only science should be taught.

No, philosophy and comparative religion would be useful areas of study.

10. Stuff happens but only by coinicidence.

Stuff happens based on cause-effect lawful relationships. A very large number of these relationships in chemistry and physics are known.

• larc
    larc

Chappy,

I made a serious effort to answer your questions. That was 10 hours ago. I thought I might receive a reply from you.

• larc
    larc

chappy,

I have to assume that by your non-response, that you wanted to poke fun, rather than engage in serious dialogue.

• larc
    larc

Hey Chappy,

Where are you. Why won't you write to me. I am very dispondant. Please answer my requests for dialogue.

• Amazing
    Amazing

Hi Chappy: Your post is a hoot. Did you develop these 10 rules, or find them somewhere? It is good. That does not mean I agree, but they do help drive home a point with humor.

I especially liked number 7. "Religion or religious impulse is the result of undesirable mutations in biological matter."

I also enjoyed what Larc said in taking this more seriously. Larc made excellent and very fair comments.

I might add that there is some verified evidence on the horizon - which I have studied to some degree - that strongly and scientificaly suggests the possibility of certain paranormal events. Some who read this material might conclude that God is behind these events. But, a fair scientific approach will not allow that. But the study does show that there is a link between certain events and quantum physics. I have not posted about it because I am waiting for more information. But I am tempted to post on the paranormal portion because certain aspects have been proved through over 100,000 repeatable and measurable tests. Amazing

• larc
    larc

Chappy,

Either you don't visit the board very often, or you are unwilling to engage in serious discussion.

Amazing,

In your research on the paranormal, I suggest that you read books by James Randi, and earlier research by Houdini, that was reported in the Scientific American in the 1920's.

• bboyneko
    bboyneko

You're right, life is so complicated there is no possible way it could have arrisen by chance or simply has always exsisted.

The only explanention then, is that complicated lifeforms where CREATED by an ever MORE complicated lifeform. How did he get there? Well simple dummy, he either happened by chance or simply has always exsisted.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit