What does DUB mean??????

by LuciousJ 19 Replies latest jw friends

• LuciousJ
    LuciousJ

Hi everyone- I'm new to the forum so I'm not hip to some of the lingo. I've been wondering for a long time what DUB means? Could someone tell me so I can understand the threads a little better? Thanks so much.

LuciousJ

• looking_glass
    looking_glass

It is a short version of Jehovah's Witness which turned into JW which turned into DUB (kind of like the letter W)

• PopeOfEruke
    PopeOfEruke

Luscious J,

What does the J stand for???

Anyway DUB comes the the "W" in JW, if you pronounce "W" its "double-U", and the "doub" from the word "double" gets turned into Dub. So it's J-Dub!

Almost like the Volkswagen beetles. We call them V-Dubs, from VW, the Dub part is from the W.

Does this make any sense at all?? I shouldn't have had those 2 beers at lunchtime.

Pope

• VM44
    VM44

Someone should explain why the Watchtower is called "The Borg" as well. --VM44

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik

borg is a star trek reference:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borg_%28Star_Trek%29

in summary it's like "you.will.assimilate.or.die."

• Forscher
    Forscher

That last one is easy.
    First, it is bOrg. The "O" is capitalised. Remember we used to call it the "oganization", or "Org." while we were in? That is part of it. The Borg is one of the arch enemies of the Federation in Star Trek the New Generation. The Borg are Cyborgs with a hive mentality were they are sort of hooked up to a larger mind. They are an uncaring and dangerous bunch. The term bOrg is meant to say the JW's are much like that Borg of Star Track.
    One poster, SixofNine basically identifies himself with a Star trek cCaracter of the same name who is a Borg who was separated from the "collective" and has to learn to be individual and think on her own, a frightening prospect for one who's thinking was basically done for them by the dominant mind in the collective. Those of us who used to be in the organization can idebtify with that Character and her problem.
    Forscher

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

>oops! Do over!<

• Nathan Natas
  • bigmouth
    bigmouth

It's under the banner of Reggae music mon. :)

• avengers

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit