Comments You Will Not Hear at the 8-6-2006 WT Study (CHOSEN NATION)

by blondie 12 Replies latest watchtower bible

• blondie
    blondie

Comments You Will Not Hear at the 08-06-06 WT Study (July 1, 2006 issue date, pages 21-25 )(CHOSEN NATION) Review comments will be in redWT material from today's WT will be in black
    Quotes from other sources will be in quotes boxes
    w = Watchtower
    g = Awake
    jv = Proclaimers book

www.biblegateway.com/cgi-bin/bible (various Bible translations online)
    www.reexamine.org (WT publications online)
    www.silentlambs.org (child abuse)
    www.ajwrb.org (blood issue)
    http://www.randytv.com/secret/unitednations.htm (United Nations issue)

THEY WERE BORN INTO GOD'S CHOSEN NATION

"It is you Jehovah your God has chosen to become his people." -DEUTERONOMY 7:6.

Opening Comments

Another OT scripture and theme, surprise! Did you realize that by extension, the WTS teaches that only 144,000 Christians are chosen to be spiritual Israelites; where does that leave the "great crowd of other sheep"? Unchosen, not special? How did that make you feel when you realized that 27 books of the Bible were written only to the 144,000? Do you see why the WTS stays out of the NT when out of 6.5 million JWs only 8,500 plus claim to be "chosen"?

Are JW children born into God's chosen nation? I knew quite a few of the professed anointed in this area and I noticed one thing, very few of their children grew up to be JWs. Any oldtimers with a similar unscientific impression? Did you realize that before 1935 that the minor children of the anointed were not anointed and when the end came that they would be separated from their young children?

Is the goal for JW children to be Christians or Jehovah's witnesses? Are God's people only JWs? If you are not a dedicated, baptized JW, will you live through the destruction of Armageddon? Were you baptized in 1985 or after...did you know that you were baptized in the name of a "spirit-directed" organization?

START OF ARTICLE

Q1, 2) What mighty acts did Jehovah perform in behalf of his people, and what relationship did the Israelites enter into with God?

1) In 1513 B.C.E., Jehovah brought his servants on earth into a new relationship with him. That year, he humiliated a world power and delivered the Israelites from slavery. In so doing, he became their Savior and Owner. Before acting, God told Moses: "Say to the sons of Israel, `I am Jehovah, and I shall certainly bring you out from under the burdens of the Egyptians and deliver you from their slavery, and I shall indeed reclaim you with an outstretched arm and with great judgments. And I shall certainly take you as my people, and I shall indeed prove to be your God."'-Exodus 6:6, 7, footnotes; 15:1-7, 11.

his servants on earth--using an OT example means that Jesus is not in the picture

take you as my people--do the Israelites foreshadow all JWs? Who are the spiritual Israelites?

*** w95 7/1 p. 15 par. 4 "The Israel of God" and the "Great Crowd" ***

To start with, those who responded to the preaching of these anointed Christians also became spiritual Israelites, the remaining ones of the 144,000, with a heavenly hope.

2) Shortly after their Exodus from Egypt, the Israelites entered into a covenant relationship with their God, Jehovah. Rather than dealing with individuals, families, or clans, henceforth Jehovah would have an organized people, a nation,on earth. (Exodus 19:5, 6; 24:7) He provided his people with laws that governed their social order and, more important, their worship. Moses said to them: "What great nation is there that has gods near to it the way Jehovah our God is in all our calling upon him? And what great nation is there that has righteous regulations and judicial decisions like all this law that I am putting before you today?"-Deuteronomy 4:7,8.

Blurb on page 21: Young Israelites were born as members of God's chosen nation

Rather than dealing with individuals, families, or clans, henceforth Jehovah would have an organized people

Does that mean there was no organization before 1513 BCE?

*** w65 7/15 p. 426 Jehovah's Advancing Organization ***

EARTHLY ORGANIZATION
    With the first human pair God established an earthly organization that he purposed to encompass the earth in due time as man multiplied in numbers. Like His heavenly organization, it would worship and serve his interests. The disobedience of that first pair, as well as the majority of their descendants, has not thwarted God's purposes.
    Jehovah's earthly organization has been represented throughout the ages by men of integrity who manifested deep loyalty to him. Wherever they resided, they represented his earthly organization. At times this association of loyal worshipers was very limited in number, consisting of as few as one to eight persons, as in the days of Abel, Enoch and Noah. Although there were only eight persons in it right before the flood of Noah's days, it was an advancing organization. It advanced in knowledge of Jehovah's purposes when it was informed about the Flood and the preservation of human and animal life. Its members were given work that was different from what they had been doing before. They had a work assignment of constructing an ark for the preservation of their own lives and of the lives of the creatures they were to bring into the ark. Every member of that organization advanced with it to this new form of work. None became disgruntled about this change in work and held back from it. That organization was even informed in advance when the Flood would begin and how long the downpour of waters would last. All eight members had to stay close to the organization and advance with it in order to be preserved with it in the ark.

Born Into a Nation of Witnesses

Q3, 4) What was an important reason for Israel's existence as a nation?

3) Centuries later, Jehovah reminded the Israelites, through his prophet Isaiah, f an important reason for their existence as a nation. Isaiah said: "This is hat Jehovah has said, your Creator, 0 Jacob, and your Former, 0 Israel: `Do not e afraid, for I have repurchased you. I have called you by your name. You are mine. For I am Jehovah your God, the Holy One of Israel your Savior.... Bring my sons from far off, and my daughters from the extremity of the earth, everyone that is called by my name and that I have created for my own glory, that I have formed, yes, that I have made. You are my witnesses,' is the utterance of Jehovah, `even my servant whom I have chosen,... the people whom I have formed for myself, that they should recount the praise of me."'-Isaiah 43:1, 3, 6, 7,10, 21.

Called by my name...you are my witnesses

Israelites = spiritual Israelites
    Israelites = Jehovah's witnesses
    Spiritual Israelites = Jehovah's witnesses

thus non-anointed cannot be JWs

4) As a people called by Jehovah's name, the Israelites would serve as witnesses to his sovereignty before the nations. They were to be a people `created for Jehovah's glory.' They were to `recount the praise of Jehovah,' relate his wondrous acts of deliverance and thus glorify his holy name. In short, they were to be a nation of witnesses for Jehovah.

Only anointed JWs are a nation of witnesses for Jehovah

*** jv chap. 7 p. 83 Advertise the King and the Kingdom! (1919-1941) ***

At that time the Jonadabs were not considered to be "Jehovah's witnesses." (See The Watchtower, August 15, 1934, page 249.) However, a few years later, The Watchtower of July 1, 1942, stated: "These 'other sheep' [Jonadabs] become witnesses for Him, on the same wise that the faithful men before Christ's death, from John the Baptist all the way back to Abel, were the never-quitting witnesses for Jehovah."
    The following spring, several issues of The Watchtower, beginning with the April 1, 1935, issue, carried this announcement: "Again The Watchtower reminds its readers that a convention of Jehovah's witnesses and Jonadabs will be held at Washington, D.C., beginning May 30 and ending June 3, 1935." The Jonadabs eagerly awaited the convention.

Q5) In what respects was Israel a dedicated nation?

5) In the 11th century B.C.E., King Solomon indicated that Jehovah had made Israel a separated nation. In prayer to Jehovah, he stated: "You yourself separated them as your inheritance out of all the peoples of the earth." (1 Kings 8:53) Individual Israelites also had a special relationship with Jehovah. Earlier, Moses had told them: "Sons you are of Jehovah your God.... For you are a holy people to Jehovah your God." (Deuteronomy 14:1, 2) Young Israelites, therefore, did not need to dedicate their lives to Jehovah. They were born as members of God's dedicated people. (Psalm 79:13; 95:7) Each new generation was instructed in the laws of Jehovah and was obligated to keep them by virtue of the covenant that bound Israel to Jehovah.-Deuteronomy 11:18,19.

Individual Israelites also had a special relationship with Jehovah

yet

Young Israelites did not need to dedicate their lives to Jehovah...born as members...instructed...obligated

BUT (see next paragraph)

Although the Israelites were born into a dedicated nation, each individual had to make a personal decision to serve God.

WTS speaking out of both sides of their mouth

Free to Choose

Q6) What choice did individual Israelites have to make?

6) Although the Israelites were born into a dedicated nation, each individual
    had to make a personal decision to serve God. Before they entered the Promised Land, Moses told them: "I do take the heavens and the earth as witnesses against you today, that I have put life and death before you, the blessing and the malediction; and you must choose life in order that you may keep alive, you and your offspring, by loving Jehovah your God, by listening to his voice and by sticking to him; for he is your life and the length of your days, that you may dwell upon the ground that Jehovah swore to your forefathers Abraham, Isaac and Jacob to give to them." (Deuteronomy 30:19, 20) Hence, the Israelites individually had to choose to love Jehovah, to listen to his voice, and to stick to him. Since the Israelites had free will, they would have to bear the consequences of their choice.-Deuteronomy 30:16-18.

ALTHOUGH THE ISRAELITES WERE BORN INTO A DEDICATED NATION, EACH INDIVIDUAL HAD TO MAKE A PERSONAL DECISION TO SERVE GOD.

Individually had to choose...free will...their choice

Q7) What happened after the death of Joshua's generation?

7) The period of the judges provides a good illustration of the consequences of faithfulness and of unfaithfulness. Just before that period began, the Israelites followed the good example of Joshua and were blessed. "The people continued to serve Jehovah all the days of Joshua and all the days of the older men who extended their days after Joshua and who had seen all of Jehovah's great work that he did for Israel." However, some time after Joshua's death, "another generation began to rise after them that did not know Jehovah or the work that he had done for Israel. And the sons of Israel fell to doing what was bad in the eyes of Jehovah." (Judges 2:7, 10, 11) Apparently, the upcoming, inexperienced generation did not prize their heritage as members of a dedicated people, in whose behalf their God, Jehovah, had accomplished mighty acts in the past.-Psalm 78:3-7, 10, 11.

Apparently--word meaning that the WTS is now going to add to the Bible

Where is Jesus?

Living Up to Their Dedication

Q8, 9) (a) What arrangement allowed the Israelites to demonstrate their
    dedication to Jehovah? (b) What did those who made voluntary offerings gain for themselves?

8) Jehovah provided his people with opportunities to live up to the national
    dedication. For instance, his Law provided for a system of sacrifices, or
    offerings, some of which were compulsory, while others were voluntary. (Hebrews 8:3) Such sacrifices included burnt offerings, grain offerings, and communion offerings that were voluntary--gifts presented to Jehovah to gain his favor and express thanksgiving.-Leviticus 7:11-13.

National dedication--or personal choice

Compulsory sacrifices--preaching and meetings?

Voluntary sacrifices--and what would those be?

9) Those voluntary sacrifices pleased Jehovah. It was said of the burnt offering and of the grain offering that they were "a restful odor to Jehovah." (Leviticus 1:9; 2:2) In the communion sacrifice, the blood and the fat of the animal were offered to Jehovah, while portions of the meat were consumed by the priests and the offerer. It was thus a symbolic meal signifying a peaceful relationship with Jehovah. The Law stated: "Now in case you should sacrifice a communion sacrifice to Jehovah, you should sacrifice it to gain approval for yourselves." (Leviticus 19:5) While all Israelites were dedicated to Jehovah by reason of birth, those who made their dedication meaningful by making voluntary offerings `gained approval for themselves' and were richly blessed.-Malachi 3:10.

peaceful relationship with Jehovah--by using OT examples, Jesus is written out of the script.

While all Israelites were dedicated to Jehovah by reason of birth...or did they have a choice?

dedication meaningful by making voluntary offerings--not meaningful if no offering?

Picture: Israelite family making sacrifice...OT example of how to make Christian sacrifices...not under Law but somehow no NT examples

Q10) How did Jehovah express his displeasure in the days of Isaiah and of Malachi?

10) Frequently, however, the dedicated nation of Israel proved unfaithful to
    Jehovah. Through his prophet Isaiah, Jehovah said to them: "You have not brought me the sheep of your whole burnt offerings, and with your sacrifices you have not glorified me. I have not compelled you to serve me with a gift." (Isaiah 43:23) In addition, offerings that were not made willingly and out of love had no value in Jehovah's eyes. For instance, three centuries after Isaiah, in the days of the prophet Malachi, the Israelites offered blemished animals. Hence, Malachi told them: "`No delight do I have in you,' Jehovah of armies has said, `and in the gift offering from your hand I take no pleasure.'. .. `You have brought something torn away, and the lame one, and the sick one; yes, you have brought it as a gift. Can I take pleasure in it at your hand?' Jehovah has said."-Malachi 1:10,13; Amos 5:22.

Blurbs on page 23: Each Israelite had to make a personal decision to serve God; Voluntary offerings gave Israelites the opportunity to demonstrate their love for Jehovah

Offerings that were not made willingly...no value in Jehovah's eyes--can love be commanded...WTS makes meeting attendance and preaching a matter of commands?

Rejected as a Dedicated Nation

Q11) What opportunity was given to Israel?

11) At the time the Israelites became a nation dedicated to Jehovah, he promised them: "If you will strictly obey my voice and will indeed keep my covenant, then you will certainly become my special property out of all other peoples, because the whole earth belongs to me. And you yourselves will become to me a kingdom of priests and a holy nation." (Exodus 19:5, 6) The promised Messiah would appear in their midst and give -them the first opportunity to become members of God's Kingdom government. (Genesis 22:17,18; 49:10; 2 Samuel 7:12,16; Luke 1: 31-33; Romans 9:4, 5) But the great majority of the Israelite nation proved false to their dedication. (Matthew 22:14) They rejected the Messiah and eventually killed him.-Acts 7:51-53.

Keep my covenant---"new covenant" applies only to anointed, "spiritual Israelites," not the 6.5 million non-anointed JWs

"special property"--only anointed JWs

"kingdom of priests and a holy nation"--only anointed JWs

become members of God's Kingdom government--only anointed JWs

While the Israelites rejected the Messiah, the WTS has rejected the great crowd as being part of the above. If that is the case where do the non-anointed children of JWs fit in this analogy?

Q12) What statements by Jesus show that Israel was rejected as Jehovah's dedicated nation?

12) A few days before his death, Jesus told the Jewish religious leaders: "Did you never read in the Scriptures, 'The stone that the builders rejected is the one that has become the chief cornerstone. From Jehovah this has come to be, and it is marvelous in our eyes'? This is why I say to you, The kingdom of God will be taken from you and be given to a nation producing its fruits." (Matthew 21:42, 43) Showing that Jehovah had rejected them as a nation dedicated to Him, Jesus stated: "Jerusalem, Jerusalem, the killer of the prophets and stoner of those sent forth to her,-how often I wanted to gather your children together, the way a hen gathers her chicks together under her wings! But you people did not want it. Look! Your house is abandoned to you."-Matthew 23:37,38.

Why though did the WTS until around 1932 teach that the Jews would be brought back to their homeland on earth and restablished as a nation, with Jerusalem as its capital?

*** w66 2/15 p. 117 par. 9 Identifying the Present-Day Beneficiaries ***

At that time Bible Students (1923) thought that the new covenant as foretold in Jeremiah 31:31-34 did not apply to the 144,000 spiritual Israelites but was to be made with the natural Jews after the battle of Armageddon. Lectures were given to large public audiences on "Jews Returning to Palestine," and in October of 1925 the book Comfort for the Jews was published. Under the subheading "The New Covenant," pages 97-103 discussed this covenant and reserved it for the natural Jews regathered to Palestine. The third paragraph from the end of the book said: "The day of jubilee is come; the good news must be given to the people of Israel and then to all the peoples of the earth.-See Psalm 89:15."

A New Dedicated Nation

Q13) What prophetic statement did Jehovah make in the days of Jeremiah?

13) At the time of the prophet Jeremiah, Jehovah foretold something new with regard to his people. We read: "'Look! There are days coming,' is the utterance of Jehovah, `and I will conclude with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah a new covenant; not one like the covenant that I concluded with their forefathers in the day of my taking hold of their hand to bring them forth out of the land of Egypt, "which covenant of mine they themselves broke, although I myself had husbandly ownership of them," is the utterance of Jehovah.' `For this is the covenant that I shall conclude with the house of Israel after those days,' is the utterance of Jehovah. `I will put my law within them, and in their heart I shall write it. And I will become their God, and they themselves will become my people."' Jeremiah 31:31-33.

"new covenant"

WTS says this only applies to the anointed and is the basis of their reasoning that Jesus is mediator only for the anointed not the great crowd.

*** w04 3/15 pp. 5-6 The Lord's Evening Meal-How Observed? ***

The new covenant makes possible a special kind of relationship with Jehovah God. By means of this covenant, a certain group of individuals become his people and he becomes their God. Jehovah's law is written within them, in their heart, and even those outside the fold of physically circumcised Jews can come into the new covenant relationship with God. (Romans 2:29) The Bible writer Luke speaks of God's purpose to 'turn His attention to the nations to take out of them a people for his name.' (Acts 15:14) According to 1 Peter 2:10, they "were once not a people, but are now God's people." The Scriptures refer to them as "the Israel of God," that is, spiritual Israel. (Galatians 6:16; 2 Corinthians 1:21) The new covenant, then, is a covenant between Jehovah God and spiritual Israel.

*** w03 2/15 p. 22 par. 19 What Does the Lord's Evening Meal Mean to You? ***

The parties to the new covenant are God and anointed ones. (Jeremiah 31:31-34; Hebrews 12:22-24) Jesus is the mediator.

*** w00 11/15 p. 11 par. 8 Christians Find Happiness in Serving ***

Jesus mediated a new covenant, which made possible the birth of a new nation, "the Israel of God," composed of spirit-anointed Christians from many nations.

*** w89 12/15 p. 30 Do You Remember? ***

In what sense does Paul use the term "mediator" when referring to Jesus at 1 Timothy 2:5, 6?

In this text, Paul uses the Greek word me·si´tes for "mediator," which term has a legal significance, so he is not using this word in the broad sense common in many languages. Hence, Paul is not saying that Jesus is Mediator between God and all mankind. Rather, he is referring to Christ as legal Mediator of the new covenant, which laid the basis for Christ's anointed followers to share with him in his heavenly Kingdom. (2 Corinthians 5:1, 5; Ephesians 1:13, 14; Hebrews 8:7-13)-8/15, pages 30, 31.

Q14) When and on what basis did Jehovah's new dedicated nation come into being? Identify that new nation.

14) The basis for this new covenant was laid when Jesus died and later presented the value of his shed blood to his Father, in 33 C.E. (Luke 22:20; Hebrews 9:15, 24-26) However, with the outpouring of the holy spirit at
    Pentecost 33 C.E. and the birth of a new nation, "the Israel of God," the new covenant went into operation. (Galatians 6:16; Romans 2:28, 29; 9:6; 11:25, 26) Writing to anointed Christians, the apostle Peter declared: "You are `a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for special possession, that you should declare abroad the excellencies' of the one that called you out of darkness into his wonderful light. For you were once not a people, but are now God's people." (1 Peter 2:9, 10) The special relationship between Jehovah and fleshly Israel had ended. In 33 C.E., Jehovah's favor had been transferred from earthly Israel to spiritual Israel, the Christian congregation, `a nation producing the fruits'
    of the Messianic Kingdom.-Matthew 21:43.

new nation...Israel of God--only anointed JWs; where does the great crowd fit in this, and their children?

The Christian congregation--only anointed JWs?

Individual Dedication

Q15) On the day of Pentecost 33 C.E., what baptism did Peter urge his listeners to undergo?

15) After Pentecost 33 C.E., every individual, Jew or Gentile, had to make a
    personal dedication to God and be baptized "in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the holy spirit."* (Footnote: *See The Watchtower, May 15, 2003, pages 30-1. see end of review) (Matthew 28:19) At Pentecost, the apostle Peter told receptive Jews and proselytes: "Repent, and let each one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the free gift of the holy spirit." (Acts 2: 38) Such Jews and proselytes had to signify by their baptism not only that they had dedicated their lives to Jehovah but also that they had accepted Jesus as the means whereby Jehovah would forgive their sins. They had to acknowledge him as Jehovah's High Priest and as their Leader, the Head of the Christian congregation.-Colossians 1: 13,14,18.

Blurb on page 24: After Pentecost 33 C.E., Christ's followers had to make a
    personal dedication to God and symbolize this by baptism

After Pentecost 33 C.E., every individual...had to make a personal dedication to God and be baptized

Think about this did the disciples who had been baptized before 33 CE had to be rebaptized?

in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the holy spirit

Is that true of JWs baptized from 1985 onward?

*** w85 6/1 p. 30 Subjecting Ourselves to Jehovah by Dedication ***

At the close of the convention baptism talk, the baptism candidates will be in position to answer with depth of understanding and heartfelt appreciation two simple questions that serve to confirm that they recognize the implications of following Christ's example. The first question is:
    On the basis of the sacrifice of Jesus Christ, have you repented of your sins and dedicated yourself to Jehovah to do his will?
    The second is:
    Do you understand that your dedication and baptism identify you as one of Jehovah's Witnesses in association with God's spirit-directed organization?
    Having answered yes to these questions, candidates are in a right heart condition to undergo Christian baptism.

What about these scriptures? (name of Jesus Christ only is mentioned)

(Acts 2:38) 38 Peter [said] to them: "Repent, and let each one of YOU be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for forgiveness of YOUR sins, and YOU will receive the free gift of the holy spirit.
    (Acts 10:47-48) 47 "Can anyone forbid water so that these might not be baptized who have received the holy spirit even as we have?" 48 With that he commanded them to be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ. Then they requested him to remain for some days.
    (Acts 19:5) 5 On hearing this, they got baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.
    Q16) In Paul's day, how did rightly disposed ones -Jews and Gentiles-become part of spiritual Israel?

16) Years later, the apostle Paul stated: "Both to those in Damascus first and to those in Jerusalem, and over all the country of Judea, and to the nations I went bringing the message that they should repent and turn to God by doing works that befit repentance." (Acts 26:20) After convincing people--Jews and Gentiles--that Jesus was Christ, the Messiah, Paul helped them to dedication and baptism. (Acts 16:14, 15, 31-33; 17:3, 4; 18:8) By turning to God, such new disciples became members of spiritual Israel.

repent...by doing works

Does this scripture sound familiar? It is used by the elders to back up their authority to determine if someone is worthy of not being disfellowshipped.

What are those "works" according to the WTS?

*** w77 3/1 p. 152 par. 16 Right Qualities Needed to Judge ***

So before making any decision the elders must determine whether the wrongdoer is truly repentant. Has he produced works that befit repentance? (Acts 26:20) Obviously, this means more than words. Deeds must be in evidence. How has he been conducting himself? For how long? What does his heart attitude show? Has he been diligently studying God's Word and endeavoring to apply it in correcting his way of life? (Jer. 10:23, 24) Does he really appreciate that his wrong was against Jehovah? Has he made appreciable changes for the better, showing that he has been moved by godly sorrow and not just regret for having been found out? These are questions that the elders have in mind when talking with the person. Then they are in a much better position to decide whether there are grounds for reinstatement at the time or not.

Was Paul talking about "disfellowshipped" Christians or rather people who were not Christians yet?

(Acts 26:20) 20 but both to those in Damascus first and to those in Jerusalem, and over all the country of Ju·de´a, and to the nations I went bringing the message that they should repent and turn to God by doing works that befit repentance.

Do new JW disciples today become "members of spiritual Israel"?

Q17) What sealing work is nearing its end, and what other work is going on apace?

17) Today, the final sealing of the remaining spiritual Israelites is near. When it is completed, the "four angels" holding back the winds of destruction of "the great tribulation" will be authorized to release them. In the meantime, the ingathering of the "great crowd," who hope to live forever on earth, is going on apace. These "other sheep" freely choose to exercise faith in "the blood of the Lamb" and get baptized in symbol of their dedication to Jehovah. (Revelation 7:1-4, 915; 22:17; John 10:16; Matthew 28:19, 20) Among them are many young ones who have been raised by Christian parents. If you are such a young person, you will be interested in reading the following article.

Final sealing of the remaining spiritual Israelites--only anointed JWs of course

Near...great tribulation

Yes, the WTS teaches that there was an initial sealing and even though it seems that the 144,000 number has been exceeded, that ambiguous time of the final sealing allows the WTS to keep projecting the "time of the end" into the future.

CARROT: live forever on earth

freely choose...many young ones who have been raised by Christian (only JW) parents.

Does an OT example of a dedicated nation apply to young JWs who are not and most likely never will be anointed or spiritual Israelites?.

Picture page 24: Notice that these men are required to wear a shirt to perform or be baptized as the WTS does today (see page 29). Nor were they required to shave their beards although they might offend the Gentiles with their obvious Jewish grooming.

By Way of Review

- Why did young Israelites not have to make a personal dedication to Jehovah?
    - How could the Israelites demonstrate that they lived up to their dedication?
    - Why did Jehovah reject Israel as his dedicated nation, and how was it
    replaced?
    - From Pentecost 33 C.E. on, what did both Jews and Gentiles have to do to become members of spiritual Israel?

Concluding Comments

This article is just the first in the one-two punch on baptism of JW children. How can the WTS compare non-anointed children to Israelites who are compared only to spiritual Israel?

BTW, where was Jesus in this article?

Saw the first sweet corn stands today. Home-grown tomatoes, cucumbers, beans, carrots and now corn. Watermelon has been excellent this year. Now we have to catch some bluegill and lightly fry them in cornmeal with a nice green salad.

Hey Grandpa, what's for supper?

Love, Blondie

(see paragraph 15)

*** w03 5/15 pp. 30-31 Questions From Readers ***

Why did The Watchtower of April 1, 2002, state on page 11, in paragraph 7, that water baptism of new Jewish believers at Pentecost 33 C.E. was in symbol of "their personal dedication to God through Christ," whereas the previously held view was that immersion of the Jews from 33 C.E. until 36 C.E. did not require such a personal dedication?

In 1513 B.C.E., Jehovah God gave the Israelites an opportunity to become a holy nation to him on the condition that they 'strictly obey his voice and keep his covenant.' They answered: "All that Jehovah has spoken we are willing to do."-Exodus 19:3-8; 24:1-8.

By agreeing to keep the Mosaic Law covenant, the Israelites dedicated themselves to God. Subsequent generations of Jews were born into this dedicated nation. However, the baptism of Jews who became followers of Jesus Christ from Pentecost 33 C.E. onward meant something other than presenting themselves to God as members of a dedicated nation. It symbolized their dedication to Jehovah God in a new relationship with him through Jesus Christ. How so?

Following the outpouring of holy spirit upon about 120 disciples gathered in an upper room in Jerusalem at Pentecost 33 C.E., the apostle Peter stood up and began preaching to the multitude of Jews and proselytes who had come together to see what had happened. After giving a thorough witness, he said to the conscience-stricken Jews: "Repent, and let each one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for forgiveness of your sins." In response to Peter's further exhortation, "those who embraced his word heartily were baptized, and on that day about three thousand souls were added."-Acts 2:1-41.

Were not those Jews baptized following Peter's exhortation already members of a dedicated nation? Did they not enjoy a dedicated relationship with God? No. The apostle Paul wrote that 'God had taken the Law out of the way by nailing it to the torture stake.' (Colossians 2:14) By means of Christ's death in 33 C.E., Jehovah God removed the Law covenant-the very basis for bringing the Israelites into a dedicated relationship with Him. The nation that rejected God's Son was now rejected by God himself. 'That which was Israel in a fleshly way' could no longer claim to be a nation dedicated to God.-1 Corinthians 10:18; Matthew 21:43.

The Law covenant was abolished in 33 C.E., but God's period of special favor and attention to the Jews did not end at that time. That period was to continue until 36 C.E., when Peter preached to the devout Italian Cornelius and his household as well as to other Gentiles. (Acts 10:1-48) What was the basis for this extension of favor?

"[The Messiah] must keep the covenant in force for the many for one week," states Daniel 9:27. The covenant that was kept in force for seven years, or "one week," from Jesus' baptism and the beginning of the Messiah's public ministry in 29 C.E. was the Abrahamic covenant. To be in that covenant relationship, a person simply had to be one of Abraham's Hebrew offspring. That unilateral covenant did not give the individual a dedicated relationship with Jehovah. Hence, the Jewish believers undergoing baptism after Peter's speech at Pentecost 33 C.E., though recipients of special attention as natural Jews, had no claim to a dedicated relationship with God once the Law covenant had been removed. They personally needed to dedicate themselves to God.

A personal dedication on the part of Jews and proselytes presenting themselves for baptism on the day of Pentecost 33 C.E. was essential for yet another reason. The apostle Peter exhorted his listeners to repent and be baptized in Jesus' name. Doing so required that they renounce the way of the world and acknowledge Jesus as Lord and Messiah, as High Priest, and as the one who sits at God's right hand in heaven. They needed to call upon the name of Jehovah God for salvation through Christ Jesus, which involved exercising faith in Christ and recognizing him as their Leader. The entire basis for having a relationship with God and for gaining forgiveness of sins had now changed. As individuals, the believing Jews needed to accept this new arrangement. How? By making a dedication to God and by going on public record as having done so by being immersed in water in the name of Jesus Christ. Water baptism was a symbol of their dedication to God, bringing them into a new relationship with him through Jesus Christ.-Acts 2:21, 33-36; 3:19-23.

[Footnote]

When Jesus Christ ascended to heaven and presented the value of his sacrificed human life to Jehovah God, the Mosaic Law covenant was voided and the basis was laid for the foretold "new covenant."-Jeremiah 31:31-34.

• jgnat
    jgnat

I wonder how much longer the class distinction between anointed/other crowd can hold up?

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

I remember a brother telling us at the beginning of his public talk that the talk was about The Spiritual Israelites. It is good for us to understand this and support them. It is not about us, however, we can learn much by listening attentively to this discussion on the 144,000 Spiritual Israelites. It was boring for any new ones and for the public that attended. People who believed that they are going to heaven when they die were totally confused when hearing that only 144,000 are going to heaven.I thought that this was an inappropriate talk to be given as a public talk.

Blueblades

• cyberguy
    cyberguy

I think this is one of your better reviews Blondie! The scriptures you mention, Acts 2:38, Acts 10:47-48, Acts 19:5, do not say anything about making a dedication. Like Acts 2:38 "Repent, and let each one of YOU be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for forgiveness of YOUR sins, and YOU will receive the free gift of the holy spirit,” simply requires repentance and baptism in the name of Jesus Christ brought forgiveness of sins.

When I first started to examine the teachings of JW’s, I of course saw some major doctrinal problems, but thought that much of it was still true. Of course, now I can see that they have corruption in everything!

• Gary1914
    Gary1914
    How did that make you feel when you realized that 27 books of the Bible were written only to the 144,000?

It seemed to be a lot of work for a relatively few people.

• garybuss
    garybuss

So . . . . the New Testament ONLY applies to the "remnant". The "remnant" are "spiritual Israelites" and the great crowd represents "spiritual Gentiles". That means only the remnant has the command to "preach" and only the remnant is commanded to "abstain from blood".

:-)

• heathen
    heathen
    BTW, where was Jesus in this article?

I'm pretty sure there was reference to jesus there in paragraph 14 . They did use some new testament scripture to show that the old covenent was replaced . Unlike most "christian" religion at least they don't continue to believe the jews are still some sort of holy nation and gentiles can only be blessed by helping jews . That there sounds so stupid but know I've heard it from people like John Hagee and Pat Robertson . It does look like the helping the 144k is important for those at resurrection time when they are judged for feeding clothing and visiting them in prison . The problem with the WTBTS is they confuse the great crowd with the first resurrection . I'm sure it will be good to have helped a saint out but really the important thing is keeping yourself without spot from the world as mentioned in Revelation 7. They still have alot of things to weed out of their dogma and I am reading this stuff .

Thanks for posting again blondie

• xjwms
    xjwms

OH MY GAWD

A light bulb went off in my head like a beacon. Par 9 ... ""using OT example Jesus is written out of the script.""

Now we can see how controling the writters are....with words like APPARENTLY in par 7 a nice easy way to add to the scrip.

and new terms like SPECIAL PROPERTY in par 11.......I am getting better just looking over the articles though...

Sister Blondie....."we are not worthy" ..... Thank you once again for your teaching ability to expose this cult.

Well.... you have the right idea......I must look for the farmers with the sweet corn as well....I love it.

• xjwms
    xjwms

It makes me wonder....

about the writters of this kind of article....Do they know HOW THEY ARE WRITING ???? .. its like suggestions from a medium

and of course the entire article is directed to children.... and I felt...my fav.....GUILT, .. FAULT, .. AND BLAME

• cyberdyne systems 101
    cyberdyne systems 101

Very good review, many thanks Blondie - btw I love your new avatar, simply stunning! I especially liked the verse talking about repentance and works being used to determine if a witness should be DF or not - completely out of context, if only the rank and file would read the Bible for themselves, they would see things like this.

CS 101

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit