Day for a year?

by moomanchu 11 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• moomanchu
    moomanchu

A time is 360 days = 1 year.

Months were 30 days x 12 = 360 = 1 year

1 year therefore is 360 days?

I know the jews did something to correct their calendar but I forget what it was.

Anyway the point I'm getting at is: Shouldn't day for a year calculations be based on

a 360 day year vs. a 364.75 year?

(btw I don't believe the day for a year b.s.just lookin for cracks in JW doctrine)

360x2520 = 907,200 days

907,200 / 364.75 = 2487.18.......

2487 - 606 = 1881

Yippeee I came up with my own date

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

I thought a day with Jehovah was like a thousand years?

So my money is on October 1st, 2,520,000 (Mark your calendars!)

"So Jesus, when you say 'I am coming quickly'..."

Dave

• stevenyc
    stevenyc

moo

Here's a site that give an easy explanation to ancient calenders.

http://webexhibits.org/calendars/calendar-ancient.html

steve

• moomanchu
    moomanchu

stevenyc

good link thanks

• fjtoth
    fjtoth

Check out this link for a simple rebuttal of the absurd JW teaching on the "Gentile Times" and the "Seven Times."

http://formerjw.homestead.com/times.html

• Hellrider
    Hellrider

One more thing: The "day for a year"-rule is mentioned I think twice in the entire Bible, once in Numbers 14 (40 years in the desert) and once in Ezekiel 4 (390 days of disobeyance to god = 390 years of punishment). Both times, they Israelites were to be punished one year for each day they had sinned. So, the "day for a year"-thing isn`t really a rule. And both times this "rule" goes into effect, it is explicitly stated that it is! Now: Can you find any mentioning of "a day for a year" anywhere in Jeremiah or Daniel? I sure can`t!

• fjtoth
    fjtoth

• JWs say the "seven times" were punishment upon Jerusalem's dynasty of kings.
    • Daniel chapter 4 explains that the "seven times" were punishment upon Nebuchadnezzar, the king of Babylon.

• JWs say the banding of the tree stump meant that God's rulership would be interrupted and that the Gentiles would rule for a fixed period of time.
    • Daniel 4 explains that the banded tree stump stood for a restriction upon Nebuchadnezzar's, not upon God's rulership.

• Nowhere does the Bible indicate that the "seven times" upon Nebuchadnezzar are "the times of the Gentiles" upon Jerusalem.
    • JWs use an absurd method to connect texts in a vain effort to link the "seven times" and the "Gentile times."

• JWs say the "Gentile Times" began in 607 B.C., long before Jesus was born.
    • Jesus spoke of the "Gentile Times" as yet future in his day.

• JWs say "Jerusalem" is "a symbol of Jehovah's rulership."
    • Jesus said "Jerusalem" was the literal city of the disobedient Jews of his day.

• JWs say Gentiles stopped trampling upon symbolic "Jerusalem" in 1914.
    • Current news shows that the temple area of Jerusalem is still being trodden by Gentiles.

• JWs teach that God's wrath came in 1914 at the end of the "Gentile Times" when the Devil and the nations became angry.
    • Jesus said God's wrath would be expressed upon Jerusalem at the beginning of the "Gentile Times."

The time has come to show JWs and the world that the Watchtower's teaching concerning 607 B.C. and 1914 A.D. is a completly diabolical lie!

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

The day for a year concept is a holdout from Millerite thinking.

• JWs say the "seven times" were punishment upon Jerusalem's dynasty of kings.
  • Daniel chapter 4 explains that the "seven times" were punishment upon Nebuchadnezzar, the king of Babylon.

• JWs say the banding of the tree stump meant that God's rulership would be interrupted and that the Gentiles would rule for a fixed period of time.
  • Daniel 4 explains that the banded tree stump stood for a restriction upon Nebuchadnezzar's, not upon God's rulership.

• Nowhere does the Bible indicate that the "seven times" upon Nebuchadnezzar are "the times of the Gentiles" upon Jerusalem.
  • JWs use an absurd method to connect texts in a vain effort to link the "seven times" and the "Gentile times."
  • We just went over that in the study. To connect two different prophecies, and then assign a larger fulfillment to a prophecy without any contextual proof, is quite dishonest. Only within these last couple months have I finally noticed that.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

The ancient Jews had several different calendars.

The Jewish lunisolar calendar had 354 days per year (based on alternating 29-day and 30-day months, as determined by observation of the moon and later by known astronomical cycles), which was intercalated with the solar cycle but the insertion of an extra month Adar II every several years. This calendar is used in much of the OT, especially those with named months.

The Jewish solar calendar had 360 monthly days per year (based on four seasons consisting of three 30-day months), plus 4 epagomenal days inserted between the seasons, namely the spring equinox, the summer solstice, the autumn equinox, and the winter solstice. In later Jewish texts (cf. Jubilees, the later sections of the Book of Luminaries in 1 Enoch, the Qumran calendrical texts), these four days came to be included within the months, giving a total of 364 days in the months. This calendar was used in the Zadokite/Sadducee cultus and in the Essene community, and is used (in its original form) in Daniel, the Priestly Code, and other priestly texts in the OT. This was a favored religious calendar by the priests because it was inherently sabbatical (364 is divisible by 7, yielding 52 weeks), allowing the festivals and sabbaths to fall on the same day of the week every year. The Christian reckoning of Easter and Holy Week is a remnant of this.

The Society fails to understand the solar calendar used in Daniel when they calculate the "Gentile Times". They do not realize that the yearly computation (since they identity a "time" = a year) included not only the 360 monthly days but also the 4 equinoxes and solstices. Only when reckoning the year by the months (such as the 42 months of Revelation 11:2-3) were the epagomenal days omitted by the Zadokite calendar (while the Essene and Jubilees calendar included them).

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

Excellent point Leolaia!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit