You are from your father the devil!

by sinis 22 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Twitch
    Twitch

This is to say that evil is a moral principle that pre-existed the philisophical idea of God that was created by man as a need to put order and meaning in our world?

It is our innate nature to be "bad"? Everything tends toward entropy? (Inevitable and steady deterioration of a system or society)

Chaos is the nature of the universe. And is neither good nor bad, it just is.

Just hungry for food for thought. Not thinking now, just free associating,...

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Perhaps I should have added that the metaphorical uses of "darkness" in an ethical setting (= "evil") and in a cosmological one (= "chaos") are logically distinct although easily related (as I think they are, for instance, in Johannine thought).

Only to a modern mind can "chaos" be thought of as "the nature of the universe". From an ancient perspective "chaos" is opposed to "kosmos" as "before" to "after". As the primeval merging of the cosmical oceans in the Mesopotamian Enuma Elish, as the tohu-bohu and "abyss" (tehom) in Genesis 1:2, as the undetermined (apoion) matter (hulè) of Greek thought (cf. Plato's Timaeus or Philo) chaos is "what was before the world," before creation stricto sensu -- and still threatens the created (= organised) world as in the Flood story.

• Mistah MOJO
    Mistah MOJO

Yahweh obviously was not considered byJesus to be the Heavenly Father. It's not that difficult to see or understand. Highly intellectual and abstract/technical discussions of questions such as these are interesting, but I highly doubt that Jesus thought in such rarified terms and concepts. Bringing one's mind a bit closer to planet Earth is a good idea in understanding the thoughts of an ancient rabbi. The Gospel of John had a hard time being accepted as canonical and this is one of the many reasons.

• Twitch
    Twitch

(((Mr Mojo)))

Yahweh obviously was not considered byJesus to be the Heavenly Father

Interesting. Can you elaborate? Though I am not the scholarly type, it always seemed to me that the Jesus always referred to his Father in deference to that which is superior to himself. Was he referring to another "Father"? It is almost amusing to consider the fact he was a bastard in a more philisophical fashion (apologies to Joseph ;-)

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket
    Has anyone stopped to think what Jesus was REALLY saying to the jews

Ugh, I think that he was saying that Mary is the Mother of God and the Devil is his daddy.

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

Narkisso got me to thinking about the Chaos Theory a.k.a. The Butterfly Effect. While rambling around on the web, I ran across this game: http://www.2flashgames.com/f/f-1211.htm

It's pretty simple, you just click on an area to see how many particles that you can explode (have an effect on).

• Mistah MOJO
    Mistah MOJO

Narkissos, that was all very interesting, very much so. Very concise and to the point too. I'll remember the material. Thanks. Twitch, I think Narkissos answered better than I could have.

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy
    Yahweh obviously was not considered byJesus to be the Heavenly Father

Did you perhaps mean the earthly father?

• Twitch
    Twitch
    It's not that difficult to see or understand.

I suppose. I haven't cracked a bible in 20 years so I don't recall any scriptural basis for the theory and oddly enough that is what I was asking for in a round about way. I understand the points Nark was making but failed to make the hard connection to anything Jesus said, thus my vague request.

• Mistah MOJO
    Mistah MOJO

Hey Narkissos. Back when Hercules, the Legendary Journeys was popular I wrote some Hercules fanfic. In it, I brought Samson to Greece "on the lam from Jehovah." I also had him followed by two big clods, twins, named Tohu and Bohu. Chaos and Vacant. Fit the characters really well. MM

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit