Questions -

by Agent Socrates 17 Replies latest jw friends

• Agent Socrates
    Agent Socrates

Oh I will be careful all right. And of course I know better than to actually speak these questions. Right now I'm in the process of making up my first flyer based on this quote.......

"If we were following a man undoubtedly it would be different with us; undoubtedly one human idea would contradict another and that which was light one or two or six years ago would be regarded as darkness now; But with God there is no variableness, neither shadow of turning, and so it is with truth; any knowledge or light coming from God must be like its author. A new view of truth never can contradict a former truth. "New light" never extinguishes older "light," but adds to it" ... - Watch Tower, Feb, 1881, p.3

I'm sure that I can find a long list of contradictions to work with. Can anyone help by confirming the above, and with a few contradictions?

• Agent Socrates
    Agent Socrates

"If we were following a man undoubtedly it would be different with us; undoubtedly one human idea would contradict another and that which was light one or two or six years ago would be regarded as darkness now; But with God there is no variableness, neither shadow of turning, and so it is with truth; any knowledge or light coming from God must be like its author. A new view of truth never can contradict a former truth. "New light" never extinguishes older "light," but adds to it" ... - Watch Tower, Feb, 1881, p.3

Hell, the above ALONE would make a pretty good flyer, if you were willing to just THINK for yourself.

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

Ok, as for confirming your quote, here is a textual copy of that watchtower issue. The article in question is entitled "Cast Not Away Therefore Your Confidence."

As for the contradictions, they can be found in many places. A good place to start is Watchtower Quotes and look under "Abandoned Truths" and "Oscillating Truths."

• Agent Socrates
    Agent Socrates

Here are some things to think about and question. Brought to you by Agent Socrates.

“If we were following a man undoubtedly it would be different with us; undoubtedly one human idea would contradict another and that which was light one or two or six years ago would be regarded as darkness now; But with God there is no variableness, neither shadow of turning, and so it is with truth; any knowledge or light coming from God must be like its author. A new view of truth never can contradict a former truth. "New light" never extinguishes older "light," but adds to it” ... - Zion's Watch Tower, Feb, 1881, p.3

For over a century, delightful, correct words of truth covering every aspect of life have been presented in the Watch Tower Society's publications and widely distributed in many languages. *** Watchtower December 15, 1990 p.26 ***

"'It is a statute to time indefinite for YOUR generations, in all YOUR dwelling places: YOU must not eat any fat or any blood at all.'" *** Reference Bible Leviticus 3:17 *** - Hmmmmm, EAT fat or BLOOD. Why doesn’t the society disfellowship for eating fat?

“The Society does not endorse any of the modern medical uses of blood…” *** Watchtower 1964 November 15 pp.680-3

For years and years the Societies position has been NO BLOOD. Now it seems a little blood is OK. *** Watchtower 2000 June 15 p.31 Questions from Readers *** Blood “fractions” are now OK? It would seem to me that this is a contradiction. It would seem to me that if you stick a very small straw into a cup of blood and suck, you are still getting blood. – I can only wonder how many needlessly died before the Society saw some “new light” on this matter.

“What is needed at such times is not worldly psychiatrists who may wholly ignore the change that the truth and God's holy spirit have made in one's life and who know nothing of their power to help one put on a new Christian personality. Rather, what is needed at such times is a mature Christian in whom one has confidence”… *** Awake! 1975 August 22 p.25 *** I have personally lost three friends who were “witnesses” to suicide. I can only wonder if a trained psychiatrist would have been more help to them than a “mature Christian.”

Guard that heart! … There is a close interrelationship between the heart and the mind, but they are two different faculties, centering in different locations. The heart is a marvelously designed muscular pump, but , more significantly, our emotional and motivating capacities are built within it. Love, hate, desire (good and bad), preference for one thing over another, ambition, fear—in effect, all that serves to motivate us in relationship to our affections and desires springs from the heart. *** Watchtower 1971 March 1 pp.133-9 How Is Your Heart? *** “But as time passed and knowledge increased, these views were discarded. Finally the heart became known for what it is, a pump to circulate the blood throughout the body.” *** Watchtower 1986 June 1 p.15 Determined to Serve Jehovah With a Complete Heart ***

• Lady Liberty
    Lady Liberty

Welcome Agent Socrates!!

Welcome to the forum.. So many people for get that it was Jehovah and Jesus themselves that gave us the ability and need to question things. Take for instance a small child. You tell the child to do something and half the time the words that come out of their mouth are, "Why?". The fact is, if you get by with asking questions, you had better not question the answers. But most get labeled beofre they even get any answers. Believe me.. I know from FIRST hand experience!!!

Again, WELCOME!

Sincerely,

Lady Liberty

• Twitch
    Twitch

Welcome, o wise one,....;-)

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

It is interesting how different the situation was in earlier times. A. H. Macmillan, one of the seven men imprisoned in 1918-1919, testified that he accepted the Finished Mystery book (published in July 1917) but "there were things in there I did not agree with", such as the interpretation of Nahum 2 which the Finished Mystery claimed prophesied the locomotive whereas Macmillan believed that it referred to the automobile. He added, "I accept the book as an entirety without the mention of any particular part. Take the Bible, there are things in there I do not agree with," yet he accepts the Bible as a whole (pp. 869-870). Can you imagine a JW speaking this way today? Being able to decide on one's own what interpretation given in WT literature he wants to accept or not?

W. E. Van Amburgh, secretary-treasurer of the Watch Tower Society, also said that "each interprets the Bible in his own way and follows its teachings" (p. 706), and also mentioned things in the Finished Mystery book that he "could not follow the letter of the that interpretation": "One part that struck me peculiarly was the measurement of the distance between Brooklyn and Scranton". Clarifying himself, he said that "I did not object [to it], I said I could not accept it" (pp. 686-687). How many JWs today have the freedom to express that?

• Agent Socrates
    Agent Socrates
    It is interesting how different the situation was in earlier times. A. H. Macmillan, one of the seven men imprisoned in 1918-1919, testified that he accepted the Finished Mystery book (published in July 1917) but "there were things in there I did not agree with",

Wow! This would never be tolerated today. You must be a good little automaton now.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit