HAS WT EVER QUOTED FROM ALEXANDER HISLOPP?

by badboy 17 Replies latest jw friends

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I don't know if they ever quoted from it but I bought my copy at the kingdom hall.

W

• New Worldly Translation
    New Worldly Translation

I've got a nice yellowing copy on my bookshelf that was bought at the KH. Like as has already been mentioned in the 50's and 60's it was viewed almost as a society book.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I wonder if anyone here has ever read the book? Or are you like me, and just let it sit on the shelf for the last 23 years?

I just bought it because I wanted to look like a cool dub. I placed it in my Theocratic Library™ alongside my Aid book.

W

• james_woods
    james_woods

A. Hislop in "The Two Babylons" always struck me as a sort of bitter and angry anti-catholic. Kind of like a liturgical Mark Twain, after Clemens lost that daughter and blamed it all on God in his later years.

I don't know how good his scholarship really was, but I take it that he is no longer "celebrated" by the Watchtower Society.

BTW, if anybody remembers that hilarious field service bible study story where the little kitty kat jumps up and barfs right in the middle of a reference book just after a telling point had been made about false religion - well, that book was a copy of "The Two Babylons".

Maybe Fluffie-Claw-Claws knew something even before the WTS did?

• stevenyc
    stevenyc

So thats where my mother got the notion that the cross came from Babylon. I had always wondered.

I read his reply to his early works and he comes across with integrety.

steve

• belbab
    belbab

One of th few WT books I still have is: Babylon the Great has Fallen. I always thought that when this book was published in 1963, the Two Babylons was moved to the background and no longer used and quotes from it faded away.

In the index of the WT Babylon book, no page references to Hislop's book is found. However in the beginning on the dedication page, under Abbreviations of references works quoted or cited herein: are the letters TB--The Two Babylons, by Dr. Alexander Hislop, London edition of 1926.

I always assumed that Fred Franz was the author, and thought he relied heavily on Hislop's book. I don't remember how much I read of the Two Babylons but I was very familiar with it, before the Babylon the Great made its confusing appearance.

belbab

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Many times -I got my copy through the Kingdom Hall - it was a CONTROLLED STOCK item - remember that term?

• badboy
    badboy

THANKS EVERYONE FOR YOUR REPLIES!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit