Any Atheist Hijackers?

by patio34 13 Replies latest jw friends

• Introspection
    Introspection

Yes.. For that matter, I'd imagine that people who do not believe in anything, aside from God or anything religious would also be unlikely to go that far, because they wouldn't be committed to a certain cause. Of course, normally people wouldn't say that's such a great thing. You may not do anything bad, but you may not do anything good either.

Athiesm is, by its nature, an individually held idea. There can
    be no fanatical adherence to this idea, because the concept is
    defined, not by its belief, but by its lack of belief.
  • ZazuWitts
    ZazuWitts

Hmmm...just a thought - Fidel Castro is an atheist. I believe Castro and his most dedicated followers would have gleefully perpetrated heinous acts of terrorism IF they had had the financial backing to do so for their CAUSE, along with the opportunity.

Would this include suicide? As I recall, his guerilla troops were required to take a suicide pact when they were trying to overthrow the Batista dictatorship.

And, in fact, didn't the U.S. intelligence community uncover at least a few/several of such plots? Of course, with Cuba being so much closer to us, and US intelligence thus being able to more easily keep tabs on Cuba, major terrorism was kept at bay. And with the withdrawal of former Soviet support, Cuba is now a minimal threat at best.

So, whether it be religious, or atheistic, perhaps it is the perceived CAUSE these extremists are upholding when they willingly give up their own lives.

• TR
    TR

Well,

Communism might have a few zealous adherents- Castro might be one.

TR

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
    —Edmund Burke

• patio34
    patio34

Hi all,

Have been 'away' (watching grandkidlets) and didn't babysit my thread. Sorry!

Good comments. i didn't have a really firm opinion on it and feel more enlightened as to Castro and some communist fanatics.

Pat

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit