When was use of cross in illustrations abandoned?

by cabasilas 17 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cabasilas
    cabasilas

In another thread someone quoted a recent WT source that said the use of the cross in illustrations was abandoned in 1936. I came across this booklet "What is Truth?", written by Rutherford in 1932. It shows Christ on a stake on page 56:

http://www.reexamine.info/30s/1932%20What%20is%20Truth.pdf

But, it's just an illustration. This could not be the introduction of the idea. (As I recall, this was about the time the WT was redesigned with the result the cover no longer had a cross on it.) There has to have been an article somewhere that first presented the view that Christ died on a stake instead of a cross. In a Watchtower of that era? My guess is that perhaps it was in a Golden Age magazine before this 1932 booklet was printed? Does anyone know?

• blondie
    blondie

I would think with the article in 1936 that illustrations using the cross ceased in WTS publications.

But then they didn't catch on until 1968 that Jesus (Adam, etc) had a beard.

The WTS illustrations tend to show female frontal nudity for some time. I can't remember when that stopped and shrubs were used strategically.

Blondie

• cabasilas
    cabasilas

Blondie,

I'd always thought it was later in the 30s myself until I saw the illustration of Christ on a stake in the 1932 booklet.

Where was it that they first explained this idea?

• blondie
    blondie

I don't understand that comment. If the last illustration possible was in 1936, then it is possible that the cross was used in 1932 in a WTS book publication. The cross/crown symbol was removed from the WT cover in 1931. That doesn't mean that it didn't take another 4 to 5 years to discontinue using the cross completely from all WT publications starting with the ones published after 1936 when the comprehensive article came out saying it was pagan.

• cabasilas
    cabasilas

Perhaps I'm misreading you, Blondie, but the illustration in the 1932 booklet written by Rutherford is of Christ on a STAKE, not a cross. That's what has prompted my question. When did the WT make the change? Obviously it was before this 1932 booklet, but when?

• MinisterAmos
    MinisterAmos

There are at least FIVE on the cover of my 7/15/31 Watchtower, PM me if you need a scan

• kid-A
    kid-A

published after 1936 when the comprehensive article came out saying it was pagan.

• kid-A
    kid-A

"published after 1936 when the comprehensive article came out saying it was pagan".

Sorry double post.

Does anyone have a scan of that article? I have never seen it but I would be curious to see the reasoning they were using in 1936.

• johnny cip
    johnny cip

i have the "let god be true" (wt 1946 ) my friend has the 1952 version of the same book. both say jesus was crusified on a cross. maybe blondie will look it up. john

• cabasilas
    cabasilas

I seriously doubt the Let God Be True books say Christ died on a cross. They may quote a Bible version that uses the word "cross," but that's different than claiming Christ died on a cross.

I really don't want this thread to get sidetracked. When did the WT Society start with the idea of Christ on a stake instead of a cross? The 1932 booklet shows him on a stake. Presumably there's an article before that (my guess in 1931) that said something about this. I did a search of the 1931 WT pdf that I have and I didn't see anything. Anyone have the Golden Age for 1931?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit