How being a JW affected me as a person

by keo15929 23 Replies latest jw friends

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC
    I was one of the most fiercest JWs of all time.

Same here pawdner.

• Arthur
    Arthur
    Can't watch violence on tv but you can read a book that has a story about a woman being raped and then chopped into pieces and her body parts being scattered among the tribes of Israel. Or about a "righteous" man that pierced a man and a woman through their genitals with a spear because they were fornicating.

Don't forget the Israelites killing off every man, woman, child, and even animals inside Jericho and then "offering them up to Jehovah". Or, Moses commanding Israelite soldiers to kill innocent women and children, and keeping the virgins for themselves. Isn't that grand?

According to JWs, and other fundamentalists, the ominipotent power of the universe supposedly allowed His name to be removed from ancient manuscripts, but He found it so important to retain accounts of His "servants" making shish-kebabs out of Canaanite women and children.

• AnonyMouse
    AnonyMouse

How do you quote...?

"From what I've seen, most of the young witnesses are living a double life. I have seen very very few witnesses that actually try to obey all the rules."

Well, that's me. I'm thinking of changing though. Maybe it will make people leave me alone when they ask me "How are you doing?" and I say "I'm in a fundamentalist organization trying to rule the world through fear and false hope."

• Kaytam
    Kaytam

I believe in Christianity and feel that so many times, people leave the Watchtower and then leave Christ. Search your heart and find a middle ground. There is written evidence of Christ and he does and did exist Don't let your past experiences turn you away from him!

• Quandry
    Quandry

Welcome, Keo15929 and Kaytam, to the forum. Thank you for your thoughts.

• thecarpenter
    thecarpenter

Welcome about keo, enjoy your say and post often

• SirNose586
    SirNose586
    I look back now and I see the effects being a Witness had on me. The whole mentality that as a JW I was in the right and will live forever and anyone who is not a JW will be killed kind of created a superior and hatefull attitude in me. It gave me the tedency to look down on "worldly" people.

Yeah, the smugness was definitely a crutch for me too. "How dare those evil worldly people have fun...well they can have their fun. They'll be dead at Armageddon," I'd think.

It's good to have you here, Keo. You are a thinking person and I look forward to your posts.

• New Worldly Translation
    New Worldly Translation

Welcome to the board Keo

I enjoyed reading your post. Your point about not being allowed to test out the teachings of the WTS was something I could never reconcile too. After all truth can stand on it's own, it doesn't need to be ring-fenced and protected from scrutiny. From some of the arguments I've had with JW's on doctrinal issues some of them don't even care if a lot of it isn't 'the truth'. It just suits them, it fits into their own personal wishes of what they want to be true.

I would encourage your further reading into biblical and religious history. The books Arthur suggested are excellent and some of the older books and articles by Thomas Paine, David Hume, Bertrand Russell and Joseph Wheless are definitely worth a read too. I found it amazing that a whole new vista of understanding opened up when studying the bible academically without being confined by religious dogma.

• Mysterious
    Mysterious

I always thought that too. If there was a program on dateline on abuse we should know what was said so we could refute it. I mean the reasoning book gives their arguments then our response..how can we respond to something we don't know they are going to say. And if indeed you have the truth without a doubt than you could not be deceived by falsehood could you? How can you shake faith in something certain?

• Apostate Kate
    Apostate Kate

Welcome Keo!

I was a self righteous biatch when I was a JW.

Welcome to the world of unconditional love, mutual respect and acceptance. Better late than never! It feels so gooooood to not have to be right and "in the truth" all the time. It is freedom to not have all the answers and God tucked in a neat little Watchtower box.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit