Bake in middle of oven

Do not keep opening door to take a sneeky look at your prize winning cake

Use a knitting needle to test if centre is cooked

Remove from oven and place and wire cool down tray

Make icing decorate and eat with a big grin on yer face

BM of the came first in cooking class at school

• Gary1914
    Gary1914

Thanks everone. I knew I could count on you.

I am going to try again using all of your suggestions. Lets hope the third time is the charm.

The oven has been on all this time so it is throughly preheated.

• Scully
    Scully

Gary

It's too bad you threw away the other cakes.... When my cakes turn out like that, I chop them up and put them in a large bowl and make a trifle.

I agree that the oven temp may not be what you think it is - an oven thermometer is an excellent way to verify the correct temperature.

I also agree with the suggestion to let the cake bake longer - checked in 5 minute intervals. I don't use toothpicks though, because I find that for "tall" cakes, like your Bundt pan, they don't reach the center of the cake where it might still need a bit longer baking time. I use the long skewers (like those that you would use for making kabobs) and make sure I pierce through the whole depth of the cake.

Can I send you Mr Scully's email address so you can let him know that it isn't unmanly to bake a cake?

• Gary1914
    Gary1914

Hi Scully:

Can I send you Mr Scully's email address so you can let him know that it isn't unmanly to bake a cake?

lol

If Mr. Scully knew the trouble I was having he would probably steer clear of the kitchen forever!

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    To double check if it is done on the INSIDE, stick in a wooden toothpick. If it's got dough stuck to it, put the cake in for longer. You may have to do this up to three times before done.

My mom put me on to this method after I whined about cake recipes NEVER working properly. I haven't spoiled a cake since.

W

• Wordly Andre
    Wordly Andre

do not over mix, just mix enought till your cake batter is mix but over mixing will cause it to come out Doughy, other than that how old is your Flour?

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

When my cakes turn out like that, I chop them up and put them in a large bowl and make a trifle.

Me, too, Scully. Or if the cake breaks apart when turning it out of the bake pan. Waste not.............

Otherwise, Gary, I'm sure you're not cutting the cake while it is hot? Be sure to let it cool down a bit before slicing.

• belbab
    belbab

Gary,

You have just made the discovery of why someone a long time ago got the idea of putting a hole in the donut, and other ring cakes and deep fry stuff.

belbab, of stay out of the kitchen class

• Stealth453
    Stealth453

Take it from an old school hubby.....go to the market and buy one.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit