Primetime-Andrea Yates

by Quandry 6 Replies latest jw experiences

• Quandry
    Quandry

Right now on Primetime Live there is a program featuring Andrea Yates. Heads up. Gotta go see it.

• damselfly
    damselfly

I want to watch it but the videos of the kids are breaking my heart.......

• Quandry
    Quandry

Andrea Yates explained what happened in her mind five years ago. She was having dilusions that someone was peeling off her skin. She also had been listening to sermons (her husband's idea) of a street preacher who said that mothers were responsible for their children's everlasting life. In her mental state, Andrea felt that she was not a good mother. She felt that she would not do a good job raising her children and that they would go to hell. She wanted to save them from that fate by killing them while they were still innocent and not accountable. She felt that she was assuring their heavenly life.

I think as witnesses or former witnesses we can identify with the guilt, guilt and more guilt of feeling that you can never measure up and if your children are not pristine examples it is your fault.

The husband was under strict doctor's orders that she should not be left alone with the children. In fact the doctor told the husband after the fourth child that she should not have any more due to her post partum psychosis with previous children-with each child born it just gets worse.

You could tell by the videos of her and the children that she loved them very much and felt that she was sacrificing herself for them for their eternal welfare.

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

I saw the video and was struck by one thing only - despite the tears when she was asked what she would say to little Luke now - little Mary now - little John now - her response was 'I miss you'. I was in pain for those kids and was surprised when her response wasn't 'I'm sorry - I love you'. I thought about those little kids all last night and how much attention has been focused on what Andrea Yates needs and where she should spend her days, how much Rusty Yates has no problem letting everyone know he supports her and what the lawyers all think about her. Where is the voice of the little children? Who stands up for them? They've become invisible in the quest to ensure that Andrea Yates lives in the best place for her and quite frankly it makes me sick. She had mental problems long before she did this - so where are the rest of the people who should be held accountable - her husband, all the doctors, her clergy ...I'm so angry I could spit. She herself admitted on the video that the kids were frightened before this and I've been there - I know the feeling those little children would have endured - if I do sound cold, well maybe it's because I know what its like to be a child living in terror and held hostage with someones mental illness and my heart breaks for them. I don't pity her - sorry - I mourn the death of those kids. sammieswife.

• Beachbender
    Beachbender

sammieswife I agree with the coments you just posted, I`m speechless over this case. Angry, sad, very tearful, my heart aches when I think of those poor children.

• Stealth453
    Stealth453

One more reason I hate religion, and everything associated with it.

• anewme
    anewme

Yes, just sickening.
    I feel for those having to deal with this case.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit