It's easy to get pessimistic about world events - but there is room for hope, if you look beyond the headlines. There are a number of things
that could change suddenly in the next few years, for the betterment of (nearly) all. Such as:
1) North Korea could collapse amidst starvation. OK, that's harsh - but it would benefit both Koreas ultimately. Currently, North Korea
is suffering from floods and devastation. China is angry with them because of "loss of face" over the missile tests ( the important missile
fizzled pathetically) and even South Koreans are disgusted. The only reason anybody feeds them is because they don't want to deal
with millions of refugees.
2) Iran might collapse - probably not soon, but eventually. Blogs out of Iran reveal internal disgust with their corrupt Theocracy ( does that
sound familiar?) Despite high oil prices, they still manage to waste millions amidst unemployment and a young populace that privately
rejects much of the Islamic Revolution. One blogger said "whatever the next government is, it's going to be anti-clerical". I say
history proves him correct. Mullahs were shocked when, after 9-11, huge young mobs were chanting Pro American slogans!
It's just teenage rebellion, folks! The end of the Islamic Revolution would send shock waves thru the world.
3) The Arabs may run out of oil - very controversial but possible. There are experts who claim that oil reserve figures in Kuwait and
Saudi Arabia may be bogus and that their fields may already be declining. They might do much better as nations if they were forced
into trade and industry like everybody else. Botswana , in Africa, racked up better growth and development than many nations there
despite having few natural resources so they couldn't squander them or fight over them.
4) Alternative energy is going to make it, big time - cheap oil stopped solar and alternative development and those days are over!
Heck, even GE and BP are getting into alternatives. It's gonna happen, because markets say so.
5) Iraq will fail but............... Kurdistan won't. All the headlines miss the success story of the Kurds - who hate Arabs and are installing
large numbers of glass windows in their area of Iraq! What does that tell you? If you don't speak Kurdish with the local accent
you don't get in. 98% of Kurds voted in a nonbinding plebicite for independence.
6) China may crash - and might even split up! India will continue to rise. China is wildly overinvested in manufacturing but India
is gaining on services and software. If you think hardware overcomes software, look at how tiny Microsoft swept past mighty IBM
in a few years by concentrating on software - instead of 'boxes'. It's also going to make Muslims puke to see "idolaters" pass them
7) Despite many problems, the US may stay in good shape - why? Because productivity is high and our population is still growing.
Japan and Europe are headed for demographic disaster. How do you maintain an economy while losing people? ( answer: you don't)
Russia will gradually disappear as a nation, losing about a million net people a year!
Things may work out............. it isn't all bad ( unless you're a Witness, in which case everything is always 'worse and worse')