Does anyone else work away from home for extended periods?

by Stealth453 11 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Stealth453
    Stealth453

I am preparing to work abroad for a six month stint. Not the first time I've done it, actually, I am semi-retired and have been doing it for 12 years now.

But...it doesn't get any easier. I have to leave my wife, kids, comfortable home, motorcycles, many pets, and the sun and surf of the south pacific.

I have a week yet before I fly, but I started spinning real bad today.

I guess I should thank the watchliar society for affording me the opportunity to print and sell their rags while I was a young man, rather than working for me and mine with a view to retirement.

Sorry, just venting. Thanks for listening.

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

No but I wish I did- the odd night away would be welcome! However I donty have wife. kids, motorcyles or more inmportantly south pacific surf to miss!

• Stealth453
    Stealth453

The sun and surf is the tough part. I also like a night or two away, but this stint is 6 months and 13,000 miles away.

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

night or two would be ok...but I'd hate for my husband to be gone for 6 months. Will you still be posting? hope so.

lisa

• Stealth453
    Stealth453

Will you still be posting?

Thank you. I hope to be, but it all depends on where they send me from day to day. I will sure miss having daily access to JWD though. It has been a great experience to be here daily.

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

WOW that is a long way from home - I think I'd feel weird if I was away for 6 months and couldnt even pop back for weekends! I suppose you cant say where you are being posted?

• Stealth453
    Stealth453

It is a long time, and sorry, have to keep that one close to the chest.

• frozen one
    frozen one

I spent 5 years working for a government contractor. I would travel overseas for 6-12 months at a time with 3-6 months off in between. I met a lot of really great people while I was in that line of work and did get to see things that most people only read about or watch on TV. After a while it was just another job with long, long commutes. As the saying goes, "I wish I was where I was when I was wishing I was here."

• Stealth453
    Stealth453

"I wish I was where I was when I was wishing I was here."

Yep, you've been there. Great for a while, but I'm going on 12 years now. Soon time to settle down.

• Ironhead
    Ironhead

I use to spend months away at sea with the navy,it didn't bother me then until about 5 years ago, when I had to spend two months away from wifey to attend a training course in London. Although I was home at weekends, it was one of my most miserable periods of my life. I know how difficult it must be for you Stealth.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit